New Home For Women Displaced By YWCA ...

New Home For Women Displaced By YWCA Closing

There are 6 comments on the WHOtv story from Feb 9, 2010, titled New Home For Women Displaced By YWCA Closing. In it, WHOtv reports that:

A new plan is in place to keep 20 women from being homeless. Last month, officials announced the YWCA would close its doors in February.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

Mike

San Francisco, CA

#1 Feb 9, 2010
is there a plan to get them on their feet?
Thea

Hildreth, NE

#2 Feb 9, 2010
I agree. While providing them with a place to stay is important, the next challenge is how to provide medical attention, job training, substance abuse help, or whatever they need so they can eventually find their own place to live, not be dependant on the good will of the community.
Kate

Ankeny, IA

#3 Feb 9, 2010
Actually there is a coalition of non-profits that will continue to help them with their life changing efforts. All of them are receiving education in financial literacy as well as the other things you need to become independent. The effort being led by PCHT, makes it clear that this is about long-term growth, not just a quick fix.
taxpayer

Pomeroy, IA

#4 Feb 9, 2010
How will this facility be different from the downtown if it ran the same way and same staff are you not asking for trouble? How long are they allowed to stay, the one news article told of the woman who had stayed there six years, I am all for helping them get back on their feet, but they need to become self sufficient, and not dependent on others. Should there be a time limit of six months to find housing and employment??? Have seriours concerns if new staff and new programing is not done it will end up just like the other Y.
Tax Lady

United States

#5 Feb 9, 2010
I think that this effort is a very good idea for the women as long as the education, training and emotional support are all involved. None of us jumped out of our parents' home with everything figured out and all the living skills there are in becoming an independent taxpayer. It may take longer for these women due to not only substance abuse and their own life mistakes, but also some suffer from being abused, and mental illness. If they are receiving the things that "Katie" posted then the women are on their first step to taking charge in their own life.
Des Moines, IA
Kate

Ankeny, IA

#6 Feb 10, 2010
taxpayer wrote:
Have seriours concerns if new staff and new programing is not done it will end up just like the other Y.
I agree. The YWCA will no longer be involved in the continuing education, assistance and eventual independence of these women. Several new organizations have stepped up to pick-up the pieces and move these women forward. The plan is for them to stay six months to a year and finally be properly readied to become active, responsible members of the Des Moines community.

All of the women will pay some rent. Most have jobs or are going to school. They have embraced change and improvement. It's a matter of making sure that continues and I believe the organizations that are lending a hand know the importance of progress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Polk County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Working Class Hero Feb '16 WATCHDOG 1
Say NO to Ted Cruz Jan '16 Concerned 1
ETP proposed Pipeline and Eminent Domain... (Jan '15) Jan '15 gina dahlstrom 1
News Teacher Accused of Assaulting Disabled Student ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 KARMA 1
News Humbolt mayor, victim agree on restitution (Jul '14) Jul '14 As8b1045b 1
News Man charged in fatal home invasion (Jul '14) Jul '14 Go Blue Forever 1
News Parole sought for woman sentenced to life as ju... (Nov '13) Nov '13 elvisa 1
More from around the web