Ryan Skipper's gay-hate killer convicted

Ryan Skipper's gay-hate killer convicted

There are 31 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Ryan Skipper's gay-hate killer convicted. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Hate crimes are directed at groups of people. They are intended to make an entire community afraid simply because of whom they are.

On March 15, 2007, Ryan Skipper was stabbed 19 times and left to die on a dirt road in Polk County, Florida. Skipper, who was openly gay, was attacked in his own car. His body was found on the side of a road. His throat had been slashed and there were multiple stab wounds covering his torso.

Yesterday, after nearly two days of deliberation, jurors returned a verdict of guilty of second-degree murder against Joseph Bearden, a known methamphetamine addict, and sentenced him to life behind bars for his part in the killing of Skipper in 2007.

Bearden’s defense attorney called the verdict a partial victory because the death penalty is now off the table.

One has to wonder… had Ryan Skipper not been gay… would Bearden now be sitting on Florida’s Death Row?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Feb 28, 2009
At least this way Bearden will get plenty of butt-sex in jail. With any luck he commits suicide or is killed in prison and saves the taxpayers the expense of keeping his miserable ass alive for the next 50 years. Either way, I just hope it's extremely painful......

Nothing but love for ya.....

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#2 Feb 28, 2009
I believe in the Death Penalty.

“That's Mama Luigi to you too”

Since: Jun 08

Orange County,CA

#3 Feb 28, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
I believe in the Death Penalty.
Personal, I'm against the death penalty because it gives them a way out in the end after all appeals,court hearings etc. I kinda think it's more punitive to lock them up with them knowing they'll never get out.

“That's Mama Luigi to you too”

Since: Jun 08

Orange County,CA

#4 Feb 28, 2009
WeTheSheeple wrote:
At least this way Bearden will get plenty of butt-sex in jail. With any luck he commits suicide or is killed in prison and saves the taxpayers the expense of keeping his miserable ass alive for the next 50 years. Either way, I just hope it's extremely painful......
Nothing but love for ya.....
I know but it'll be all Florida tax payers expense,beside if he had got death sentence he would appeal whatever issue necessary to keep himself form the electric chair or the gurney.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#5 Feb 28, 2009
Second degree murder! Is the hate crime law in Florida protecting gays ever enforced?! What good is the law if they never use it to charge or convict anyone? If the victim were straight the verdict would have been 1st degree murder, I guarantee it. It seem like all these gay-haters always get off on 2nd degree when it's obvious it's premeditated murder. Wake up America/Florida!

Daniel P from Long Island

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#6 Mar 1, 2009
Shadow Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal, I'm against the death penalty because it gives them a way out in the end after all appeals,court hearings etc. I kinda think it's more punitive to lock them up with them knowing they'll never get out.
If you are against the death penalty, than how do you prevent convicted murderers from murdering people, inmates, and staff, in prison ?

It happens quite frequently.

If you execute the convicted murdereer, you are protecting other people.

It's as simple as that .

And it is JUSTICE.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#8 Mar 1, 2009
equalityboy81 wrote:
Second degree murder! Is the hate crime law in Florida protecting gays ever enforced?! What good is the law if they never use it to charge or convict anyone? If the victim were straight the verdict would have been 1st degree murder, I guarantee it. It seem like all these gay-haters always get off on 2nd degree when it's obvious it's premeditated murder. Wake up America/Florida!
Exactly. If the victim hasn't been gay the guy would be on death row. It's insane the justice system seems to give gay bashers a shoulder to cry on and a pat on the back.
Mike

Lilburn, GA

#9 Mar 1, 2009
Do they know he killed the kid solely because he was gay? I mean, the guy was a meth addict. He could have killed him because he thought the demon spiders from Mars would eat his soul if he didn't. maybe that's why the hate crime statute wasn't sought in the case.

And on the issue of "hate crime" laws...when did we start placing more value on one life than another? How do you tell the mother of a dead straight kid that his killer would have gotten more time in jail had her son been gay? Really?

1noteasilyfooled

“Fundie SMACKER..”

Since: Mar 08

Sunshine city, St Petersburg

#10 Mar 1, 2009
Mike wrote:
Do they know he killed the kid solely because he was gay? I mean, the guy was a meth addict. He could have killed him because he thought the demon spiders from Mars would eat his soul if he didn't. maybe that's why the hate crime statute wasn't sought in the case.
And on the issue of "hate crime" laws...when did we start placing more value on one life than another? How do you tell the mother of a dead straight kid that his killer would have gotten more time in jail had her son been gay? Really?
Makes no difference.. to me you kill someone... your lights go out. no questions asked.
unless its self defense.
Mike

Lilburn, GA

#11 Mar 1, 2009
1noteasilyfooled wrote:
<quoted text>Makes no difference.. to me you kill someone... your lights go out. no questions asked.
unless its self defense.
I got not problem with the death penalty, except I think they should do it by rope in the town square like the old days. Then it might actually serve the purpose of deterring crime.

1noteasilyfooled

“Fundie SMACKER..”

Since: Mar 08

Sunshine city, St Petersburg

#12 Mar 1, 2009
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
I got not problem with the death penalty, except I think they should do it by rope in the town square like the old days. Then it might actually serve the purpose of deterring crime.
agreed! AND it should be televised on christian TV..........to remind them about their 'commandments'.

1noteasilyfooled

“Fundie SMACKER..”

Since: Mar 08

Sunshine city, St Petersburg

#13 Mar 1, 2009
Mike wrote:
Do they know he killed the kid solely because he was gay? I mean, the guy was a meth addict. He could have killed him because he thought the demon spiders from Mars would eat his soul if he didn't. maybe that's why the hate crime statute wasn't sought in the case.
And on the issue of "hate crime" laws...when did we start placing more value on one life than another? How do you tell the mother of a dead straight kid that his killer would have gotten more time in jail had her son been gay? Really?
BTW mike... if ya dont know by now (transcripts and live testimony) the gay card was an extenuating issue.. it was a large part of the initial 'burglary'.....
one must read the court transcripts and defendant statements.

“Peace”

Since: Feb 08

Earth

#14 Mar 2, 2009
Mike wrote:
Do they know he killed the kid solely because he was gay? I mean, the guy was a meth addict. He could have killed him because he thought the demon spiders from Mars would eat his soul if he didn't. maybe that's why the hate crime statute wasn't sought in the case.
And on the issue of "hate crime" laws...when did we start placing more value on one life than another? How do you tell the mother of a dead straight kid that his killer would have gotten more time in jail had her son been gay? Really?
when did we start placing less value on one life over another?
-
I wonder how these mothers felt when they saw that the murders of their children got less time because their children were transsexual?
-
Joel Robles
On August 15, 2004, in Fresno, CA, Joel Robles (29), a Latina transgender woman, was stabbed 20 times after a sexual partner discovered she was biologically male. Estanislao Martinez (23) pleaded guilty to the murder and was sentenced to four years in prison.
-
Emonie Spaulding
On August 21, 2003, in Washington D. C., Emonie Kiera Spaulding (25), an African-American transgender sex worker, was shot and killed after her assailant learned that she was biologically male. Derrick A. Lewis (23) pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.
-
Massachusetts
Chanelle Pickett
Boston, MA, Chanelle Pickett (23), a transgender woman, was beaten to death by her date after he discovered she was biologically male. William Palmer was convicted of assault and battery, which carried a maximum sentence of 2 1/2 years.
-
-
how much time will they really serve?
The average time served for murdering a trans person is 4.5 years
the conviction rate is 30% in trans murders

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#15 Mar 2, 2009
Mike wrote:
Do they know he killed the kid solely because he was gay? I mean, the guy was a meth addict. He could have killed him because he thought the demon spiders from Mars would eat his soul if he didn't. maybe that's why the hate crime statute wasn't sought in the case.
And on the issue of "hate crime" laws...when did we start placing more value on one life than another? How do you tell the mother of a dead straight kid that his killer would have gotten more time in jail had her son been gay? Really?
The problem here, Mike, is a straight kid isn't in danger of being singled out due to his sexuality and then beaten to a bloody pulp and left to die. It is only a "hate crime" when the crime is committed due to a person's race, sexuality, etc. It's not too hard to know what the motive is when the attacker keeps shouting "faggot" as he beats his victim.
r e a L M o __g

Ashburn, VA

#16 Mar 2, 2009
Why did they give this poor guy life? What did he do wrong?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Mar 2, 2009
Mike wrote:
Do they know he killed the kid solely because he was gay? I mean, the guy was a meth addict. He could have killed him because he thought the demon spiders from Mars would eat his soul if he didn't. maybe that's why the hate crime statute wasn't sought in the case.
And on the issue of "hate crime" laws...when did we start placing more value on one life than another? How do you tell the mother of a dead straight kid that his killer would have gotten more time in jail had her son been gay? Really?
I'd gladly do away with ALL hate crimes laws, so long as the religious folks are willing to give up their "special protections" too. But so long as people get away with a lesser sentence just because the victim was gay (or transgender, etc) then there needs to be a balancing factor.
Mike

Lilburn, GA

#18 Mar 2, 2009
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd gladly do away with ALL hate crimes laws, so long as the religious folks are willing to give up their "special protections" too. But so long as people get away with a lesser sentence just because the victim was gay (or transgender, etc) then there needs to be a balancing factor.
What does religion have to do with any of this? Comparing hate crimes to a church's tax-exempt status is comparing apples to oranges. My argument had nothing to do with religion anyway.

As for the people who have posted to inform me that the courts treat some lives as being less valuable than others, as in cases where the victim is black or transgendered or gay - It's real simple - you don't write new laws that give exclusive protections to certain groups, you just apply the ones that already exist. My point is proven in the case this board is discussing, since Florida has a hate crimes statute, but it wasn't used. It's about changing attitudes, not laws.
Mike

Lilburn, GA

#19 Mar 2, 2009
McMike wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem here, Mike, is a straight kid isn't in danger of being singled out due to his sexuality and then beaten to a bloody pulp and left to die. It is only a "hate crime" when the crime is committed due to a person's race, sexuality, etc. It's not too hard to know what the motive is when the attacker keeps shouting "faggot" as he beats his victim.
McMike, believe me, I understand that being gay can make you a target for assault, but I also understand that being a homeowner can also make you a target. But at the end of the day, crime is crime, and it should be appropriately punished. The fact that the victim is gay, straight, female, etc, should never be an issue. The fact that someone caused harm to another human being for no justifiable reason is the only fact in the case that should matter.

Does anyone think that there should be special sentencing guidelines that give harsher sentences to burglars who rob people who own their homes, since they are a more likely target than those who rent? I doubt it. We can classify just about everyone into a special category and give them some privilege no one else has.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Mar 2, 2009
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
What does religion have to do with any of this? Comparing hate crimes to a church's tax-exempt status is comparing apples to oranges. My argument had nothing to do with religion anyway.
As for the people who have posted to inform me that the courts treat some lives as being less valuable than others, as in cases where the victim is black or transgendered or gay - It's real simple - you don't write new laws that give exclusive protections to certain groups, you just apply the ones that already exist. My point is proven in the case this board is discussing, since Florida has a hate crimes statute, but it wasn't used. It's about changing attitudes, not laws.
I sited religion as an example of another protected class under hate crimes laws. I was pointing out the typical hypocrisy of (mainly) religious groups who are against including sexual orientation in hate crimes protections, when they are not willing to give up their own special protections under current hate crimes laws. This hypocrisy also is evident in the religious groups opposing employment & housing protections for homosexuals, while again refusing to give up their "special protections".

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 Mar 2, 2009
I'll state it as plainly as I can:

Until I can legally discriminate against someone based on their religion, I will continue to fight for equal "special protection" for my minority group- hate crimes, employment, housing, military service, etc....

Two wrongs may not make a right, but 3 lefts do...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Polk County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Polk County Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Records (Sep '16) May '17 Blind 3
Florida Panther Feb '17 Roxy09 1
I need a payday loan and im in Spain? (Jun '13) Feb '17 Pastor Joseph Loans 45
Searching for my brother (Dec '16) Dec '16 Worried 1
Reliance Trust Loan Firm...Apply For Loan @ 2% (Oct '16) Oct '16 Dawson 1
News Deputies search for Winter Haven robbery suspect (Sep '16) Sep '16 alleyezonme 1
News Bank robber sought in Polk (May '16) May '16 Linda Lynn 1
More from around the web