Pickens Sheriff Refuses to Lower Flag...

Pickens Sheriff Refuses to Lower Flag for Mandela

There are 5 comments on the WLTX-TV Columbia story from Dec 6, 2013, titled Pickens Sheriff Refuses to Lower Flag for Mandela. In it, WLTX-TV Columbia reports that:

The American flag that flies over the Pickens County Sheriff's Office will be raised high over the weekend despite an order by President Barack Obama that flags across the country be lowered to half-staff to honor the death of iconic South African leader Nelson Mandela.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX-TV Columbia.

Tom Stohlgren

Windsor, CO

#1 Dec 6, 2013
Sheriff Rick Clark of Pickens County,
You bring shame to all America by not lowing the flag for Nelson Mandela. As you know, flying the flag at half mast is not solely for American soldiers. It has been used to honor children gunned down in senseless violence, foreign official, and civil heroes of all ethnic groups. Mr. Mandela brought a shameful, racist country out of the dark ages. You, and the citizens of Pickens County who elected you have much to learn from Nelson Mandela.
Michael Taylor

Concord, CA

#2 Dec 6, 2013
I have to totally agree with Tom. Pickens? Sounds like Klan Country!
Silvia Hillyer

Dixon, CA

#3 Dec 6, 2013
Dear Mr. Clark,
How can you so blatantly disobey your President? How can you so blatantly ignore the great things that Mr. Mandela accomplished for his people? Shame on you!
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Dec 8, 2013
Tom Stohlgren wrote:
Sheriff Rick Clark of Pickens County,
You bring shame to all America by not lowing the flag for Nelson Mandela. As you know, flying the flag at half mast is not solely for American soldiers. It has been used to honor children gunned down in senseless violence, foreign official, and civil heroes of all ethnic groups. Mr. Mandela brought a shameful, racist country out of the dark ages. You, and the citizens of Pickens County who elected you have much to learn from Nelson Mandela.
No, that doesn't make him a bigot or a crud-head. Just an extreme conservative. Calling Sheriff Rick Clark racist or xenophobic is the same knee-jerk McCarthyism as calling me a hater of America or white people because I stubbornly refuse to lower my flag for Pearl Harbor.

I have the same double attitude about America that a Jewish citizen of 21st century Germany has about his country. He loves Germany as it is today, but hates Germany as it was in its Nazi or anti-Semitic past.

I always insist on celebrating the Civil Rights era instead of July 4th as the birth of freedom in US history. Because for non-whites it is only since the civil rights movement that this has been a country worth respecting or caring about. Diversity is not merely about tolerance for ethnic differences. It is equally about not attacking somebody's character just because you don't like their views.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Dec 8, 2013
Silvia Hillyer wrote:
Dear Mr. Clark,
How can you so blatantly disobey your President? How can you so blatantly ignore the great things that Mr. Mandela accomplished for his people? Shame on you!
He did not disobey our president, whether blatantly or mildly. Lowering the flag was a suggestion, not a mandate. I would probably be to the opposite of Sheriff Clark on many issues like abortion, school prayer, separation of church and state. He sounds like a staunch conservative to me while I am a no-nonsense, peaceful militant. But I have no right to go branding him racist or anti-foreign. He is just acting on his own principles, and legally it was his discretion to lower or not to lower Old Glory.

Merry Christmas, Sheriff Clark. I wish you had lowered the flag for Mandela, but I hope you and your family have a joyous time around the Christmas tree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickens County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keith Thomasson II (Feb '14) Feb '14 jusbncurious 1
News Case dropped against SC woman jailed over video (Feb '14) Feb '14 tallyho 23
News This woman was arrested for failing to return a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Le Jimbo 4
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 2
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mandela 4
Congratulations and God Bless Roy Costner IV (Jun '13) Jun '13 Patriot 3
News Active Shooter exercise held at Baptist Easley (Apr '13) Apr '13 Tkr2xs 1
More from around the web