Sanford Says 'No'--So Now What?

Sanford Says 'No'--So Now What?

There are 37 comments on the www.wsoctv.com story from Mar 25, 2009, titled Sanford Says 'No'--So Now What?. In it, www.wsoctv.com reports that:

STIMULUS: Senate may go around Gov. Mark Sanford

The South Carolina state Senate could decide this week whether they'll go around Gov. Mark Sanford to secure the $700 million in stimulus money that Sanford refused..

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.wsoctv.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 07

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#23 Mar 27, 2009
Old American Gal wrote:
As a tax-paying resident of South Carolina and a business owner, I back the governor. Federal money always has federal strings attached. I for one prefer to solve my problems on my own, with hard work and honesty. The federal behemoth needs to be reined in and authority returned to states and communities. Smaller units (government and business) are more nimble and more in touch with what's actually going on. That's one of GM's problems - they're so big they can't adapt fast enough. This will make for an interesting experiment - let's see who recovers faster, the states who take federal money, or the states who don't.
Let's see who gets re-elected - may actually mean progress for SC politics for a change.

“Reconquer This.”

Since: Feb 08

Burke, VA

#24 Mar 27, 2009
A Perspective wrote:
You just watch. The people of is state will vote that nutcase out. They will not stand for a grandstanding politician putting his wants before the NEEDS of the people. Political disaster. I can't believe the guy is that stupid.
The most accurate assessment of Obozo ever!
Tomorrow is another day

Hamilton, Canada

#25 Mar 27, 2009
I doubt any of you have lived in SC, I grew up there and my parents are still there. Sanford is doing what the people of that state want. They do not want Obamas money, they refuse to become the Feds puppet. SC is saying we will handle our own, which seems that they are sticking to what they have believed in since the begining, no big Federal Government. Yes they are having a tough time, but they want to help themselves. I find it so interesting that Obama and Congress made sure that there was the little loop hole included in the Stimlus Bill tht would allow state congresses bybass the Gov. since normally the Gov. is the last word. I guess Obama knew that there would be men like Sanford that stood up for what he and his supporters believe in, helping themselves and no hand outs from the Fed.

I live in SC and everyone I've talked to totally disagrees with Sandfords current position on politics.** So, not everyone in SC agrees with M Sandford.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#26 Mar 27, 2009
Old American Gal wrote:
As a tax-paying resident of South Carolina and a business owner, I back the governor. Federal money always has federal strings attached. I for one prefer to solve my problems on my own, with hard work and honesty. The federal behemoth needs to be reined in and authority returned to states and communities. Smaller units (government and business) are more nimble and more in touch with what's actually going on. That's one of GM's problems - they're so big they can't adapt fast enough. This will make for an interesting experiment - let's see who recovers faster, the states who take federal money, or the states who don't.
While were at it, lets experiment with our children's education. Let's see if we can compete with the other schools in the nation who actually have money to invest in the school system and who care first and foremost about the young leaders that's education falls in their hands.

We reap what we sow.

“Gun toting liberal”

Since: Nov 07

Wilmington

#27 Mar 27, 2009
What I hear from Govs. Sanford and Palin is that if they accept the federal money, they will be obliged to increase education spending permanently, even though the stimulus money may be only temporary.

But even if the money is temporary, couldn't the benefits be permanent? Buying updated textbooks, upgrading playgrounds and libraries would have long-lasting effect even if the money does turn out to be a one-shot deal.
Jess

Safety Harbor, FL

#28 Mar 27, 2009
Everyone focusing on how much is spent on education, thought we spend more and more every year and yet nothing improves. Cuts in education spending are not going to be the end of things. Make smart cuts and everyone will get through. You take money from the government and you will have strings attached. You will be forced into doing things as a state that you do not agree with but will have no choice. Taking the quick fix nevder works out in the end for anyone or anything.
Expatriate

United States

#29 Mar 27, 2009
Republicans are so stupid. This guy is done politically.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#30 Mar 27, 2009
Walkn on Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>I so agree with you about S.C. selling their soul. Look what they were willing to do with the oil debate. One of the FEW redeeming things S. C. has going for it is economically is tourism, and they were willing to sell their coastline (not literally but pretty close) to get in the oil business. Sanford started out honorably. But he eventually sold his soul too, to appease Lindsey Graham and McCain. In truth, the majority of SC voters were attracted Palin and McCain like a moth to a light bulb. So Sanford had to head for the light to to keep their attention.
When most of the textile mills died, they had to bring in new industry. SC has always been a serfdom state, unfortunately. Most towns were built around textile plants.(Thank god for Miliken) Then they pimped that out and left the workers to turn to BMW and other foreign investors. They have attempted to make it a healthcare focused state as well but I am not sure that is the smartest path to success either.
Sanford would do well to realize that SC needs to be more progressive, not just economically, but in ideaology. There is still too much religious influence in politics in SC from the religious right wing. It is amazing the impact preachers of even the smallest churches have in the pulpit on Sunday morning, Sunday nights, and Wednesday nights.
On the upside, perhaps agriculture will make a huge comeback there. I still think it is an excellent place to invest in growing crops for biofuels. Maybe it could be the new tobacco or cotton.
A love fest. I agree with you too.
I believe that any place that can grow rice successfully can grow sugar beets.

Sugar beets may by an answer to our 21st Century fuel shortages. And, they are tasty.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#31 Mar 27, 2009
Old American Gal wrote:
"I'm rich, so screw the poor?"
So, an old member of the SC oligarchy likes to keep the people in serfdom. No surprise.

If SC stopped taking more from the fedeeral government that in sends in, it would dry up and blow away. You are already on federal welfare.
Old American Gal

Bay Minette, AL

#32 Mar 27, 2009
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
"I'm rich, so screw the poor?"
So, an old member of the SC oligarchy likes to keep the people in serfdom. No surprise.
If SC stopped taking more from the fedeeral government that in sends in, it would dry up and blow away. You are already on federal welfare.
Dude, I'm not rich by any standards. I've worked hard for 30+ years, kept my nose clean, and not taken unnecessary risks. I come from a poor family (I'm the first to graduate college), and I can remember my younger brother being so hungry he ate dry dog food because my mom was too proud to ask for help. We never drew a cent off welfare. I'm saying we Americans need to learn to do for ourselves again. NOTHING IS FREE. Don't you get it? You guys aren't seeing the hook inside the federal worm.
Give me the freedom to do for myself. I don't want to be coddled by a nanny state.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#33 Mar 27, 2009
Old American Gal wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, I'm not rich by any standards. I've worked hard for 30+ years, kept my nose clean, and not taken unnecessary risks. I come from a poor family (I'm the first to graduate college), and I can remember my younger brother being so hungry he ate dry dog food because my mom was too proud to ask for help. We never drew a cent off welfare. I'm saying we Americans need to learn to do for ourselves again. NOTHING IS FREE. Don't you get it? You guys aren't seeing the hook inside the federal worm.
Give me the freedom to do for myself. I don't want to be coddled by a nanny state.
I guess you enjoy the idea of other kids eating dogfood like your brother.

I will repeat: SC gets plenty already from the federal government.
SC treats its workers like worthles garbage.

There is no nanny state. That is a misrepresentation on your part.

Our country is trying to rebuild a shattered economy, after 8 years of terrible mismanagement. I know you are aware of that.
Do you really want to keep the poor in your state so far down?
Jess

Safety Harbor, FL

#34 Mar 27, 2009
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you enjoy the idea of other kids eating dogfood like your brother.
I will repeat: SC gets plenty already from the federal government.
SC treats its workers like worthles garbage.
There is no nanny state. That is a misrepresentation on your part.
Our country is trying to rebuild a shattered economy, after 8 years of terrible mismanagement. I know you are aware of that.
Do you really want to keep the poor in your state so far down?
Please explain how SC treats its workers like garbage? I would love to see your answer. And how to we take more then we put out? Have the numbers on that one?
Rebuild a shattered economy? WOW that is stretching it a bit! Sanford has every right to say no to the money, just because some don't want to sacrifice alittle for the benefit of the future, he is suppose to take money that is not his to take, and its not Obama's to give for that matter!

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#35 Mar 27, 2009
Jess wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how SC treats its workers like garbage? I would love to see your answer. And how to we take more then we put out? Have the numbers on that one?
Rebuild a shattered economy? WOW that is stretching it a bit! Sanford has every right to say no to the money, just because some don't want to sacrifice alittle for the benefit of the future, he is suppose to take money that is not his to take, and its not Obama's to give for that matter!
Simply, the continuous courting of manufacturers with the offer of cheap unorganized labor, with theassurance they will stay unorganized, The low, poor benefits earned by SC workers, and the low hourly rates paid, the job insecurity.

For info on your Federal balance of payments, and how you are subsidized, see:
http://www.hks.harvard.edu/taubmancenter/publ...
Walkn on Sunshine

United States

#36 Mar 27, 2009
Jess wrote:
<quoted text>
Jess, he can afford to say "no thanks". He is not unemployed, underemployed, homeless, or hungry. South Carolina "is" hurting and he needs to care about all the citizens and do all he can do for "everyone" in the state. Not just those who voted for him. That is the mark of a great leader.
Walkn on Sunshine

United States

#37 Mar 27, 2009
Kimbefly wrote:
What I hear from Govs. Sanford and Palin is that if they accept the federal money, they will be obliged to increase education spending permanently, even though the stimulus money may be only temporary.
But even if the money is temporary, couldn't the benefits be permanent? Buying updated textbooks, upgrading playgrounds and libraries would have long-lasting effect even if the money does turn out to be a one-shot deal.
God forbid states spend money on public education. You are absolutely right. It is an investment in their education.
Walkn on Sunshine

United States

#38 Mar 27, 2009
I bet the people who voted for Congressman Clyburn are not so happy about this. And I think Congressman Clyburn will see that SC gets the money it needs.
Walkn on Sunshine

United States

#39 Mar 27, 2009
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
A love fest. I agree with you too.
I believe that any place that can grow rice successfully can grow sugar beets.
Sugar beets may by an answer to our 21st Century fuel shortages. And, they are tasty.
There are only a few foods I do not like....and a beet is one of them. bleeeeake Put 'em in the car.:) But yes! Doesn't parts of SA primarity use sugar beets? SC knows something about growing beets.

I have heard some things about this plant. Not sure if it is viable in the US but I heard there was some testing being done to see if it can be used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatropha_curcas
The oily seeds are processed into oil, which may be directly used to fuel combustion engines or may be subjected to transesterification to produce biodiesel.

But as with crude oil, the highest costs for any of these crops, to be used as biofuel, would be in the processing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickens County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keith Thomasson II (Feb '14) Feb '14 jusbncurious 1
News Case dropped against SC woman jailed over video (Feb '14) Feb '14 tallyho 23
News This woman was arrested for failing to return a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Le Jimbo 4
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 2
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mandela 4
News Pickens Sheriff Refuses to Lower Flag for Mandela (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 5
Congratulations and God Bless Roy Costner IV (Jun '13) Jun '13 Patriot 3
More from around the web