Sanford Says 'No'--So Now What?

Mar 25, 2009 Full story: www.wsoctv.com 37
STIMULUS: Senate may go around Gov. Mark Sanford

The South Carolina state Senate could decide this week whether they'll go around Gov. Mark Sanford to secure the $700 million in stimulus money that Sanford refused..

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Greedy

Pasadena, TX

#1 Mar 25, 2009
Whatever it takes. I'm sure those democrats will lie, cheat, steal, for that money. Free money ! Hail the dud head .

“Kiss Me You Fool!”

Since: Jan 08

Atlanta via Brooklyn NY

#2 Mar 25, 2009
Greedy wrote:
Whatever it takes. I'm sure those democrats will lie, cheat, steal, for that money. Free money ! Hail the dud head .
S.C. Senate is repub majority.

This reminds me, with the recent volcanic erruptions in Alaska, near Anchorage, does Jindal still laugh at a States request for "Volcano Monitor" as he did during his response to the State of the Union Address?

This also reminds me, how does a Gov from the State of La. complain about States receiving Fed funds? La, after Katrina has probably recv'd more Fed funding than any other State in recent history.

Jindal showed that during the most important speech of his life, to date, he didn't bother to research the funding he decided to mock. He could have called Gov of Washington State and find out what volcano monitoring is for, but he didn't. He made assumption, and based his decision on the assumption alone. Evidence of how he would govern.
Mike - Indianapolis

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Mar 25, 2009
Now what? Saner heads will prevail...take the money, pay unemployment, the teachers, police, firefighters etc.
A Perspective

Oscoda, MI

#4 Mar 25, 2009
You just watch. The people of is state will vote that nutcase out. They will not stand for a grandstanding politician putting his wants before the NEEDS of the people. Political disaster. I can't believe the guy is that stupid.

“Peace be with you.”

Since: Aug 08

Lexington, SC

#5 Mar 25, 2009
A Perspective wrote:
You just watch. The people of is state will vote that nutcase out. They will not stand for a grandstanding politician putting his wants before the NEEDS of the people. Political disaster. I can't believe the guy is that stupid.
We will not have that privilege :-(. This is the last term he can serve, but that is a bright side :-).

I understand SC will always be rebels, but is it really necessary to cut your nose off to spite your face?

I can only say, i am glad my stay here is temporary!
Crazy Ox3thong

Pleasant Prairie, WI

#6 Mar 25, 2009
again ?:-o
Walkn on Sunshine

Stockbridge, GA

#7 Mar 25, 2009
You can lead a stubborn mule to water, but you can't make 'em drink it. Then the mule dies of dehydration and your fields don't get plowed, and everybody starves.....

Thought South Carolinians might understand it if put that way. This was a fooolish move for a state with such a high unemployment rate. Pride goeth before destruction.
Walkn on Sunshine

Stockbridge, GA

#8 Mar 25, 2009
A Perspective wrote:
The sad thing is, prior to this last election, Sanford was a good governor for the state. With a focus on manufacturing, if I am not mistaken. Little by little, he started appeasing the Republican influential. Now he is just playing politics....high stakes politics.

“Peace be with you.”

Lexington, SC

#9 Mar 26, 2009
Walkn on Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>The sad thing is, prior to this last election, Sanford was a good governor for the state. With a focus on manufacturing, if I am not mistaken. Little by little, he started appeasing the Republican influential. Now he is just playing politics....high stakes politics.
Yeah, i remember in 2006 the only bill he got passed before the november cut off date was "Make official the boiled peanut as our state snack".

Ahhhh, the good ole days :-)

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#10 Mar 26, 2009
Walkn on Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>The sad thing is, prior to this last election, Sanford was a good governor for the state. With a focus on manufacturing, if I am not mistaken. Little by little, he started appeasing the Republican influential. Now he is just playing politics....high stakes politics.
I have a different view.
SC has sold herself like a cheap whore.

Do you have a factory that pollutes, and it costs too much to meet northern enviironmental standards?
Come to SC. They'll let you monitor yourself.

Tired of paying your workers a living wage?
Come to SC, and the state will be your partner in keeping them in serfdom.

What? China is doing to SC what SC has done to 20 other states?

WAA WAA; Time to pose, but do nothing.

Sanford could care less about his consitiuants. Money wins elections, and the industry he has brought in knows how to butter his bread.
Sanfors still thinksthat lying neo-conservatism isa path to the White House.
And, if the lying neo-cons and religious right still hold their death grip on the GOP; Sanford may be the anti-Obama candidate. Gov. Palin will just be the new Adlai Stephenson (with apologies to Adlai.)
jon

Fort Lee, NJ

#11 Mar 26, 2009
its called fiscal responsibility. they will run ruffshod if you let them. slipping in bills that consists of thousands of pages is just what robbed this country and its hard working and honest taxpayer!!!!!!!!!! whether its dems or repubs this is where we are today, thanks to these corrupt and greedy persons!!!!!!!!!!
Fred G Sanford

Green Bay, WI

#12 Mar 26, 2009
YOU BIG DUMMY ! i thought your half brother Lamont
was stupid., take the money dummy , or would you like 5 across yo lip!?
Walkn on Sunshine

Stockbridge, GA

#14 Mar 26, 2009
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a different view.
Do you have a factory that pollutes, and it costs too much to meet northern enviironmental standards?
Sanford could care less about his consitiuants. Money wins elections, and the industry he has brought in knows how to butter his bread.
And, if the lying neo-cons and religious right still hold their death grip on the GOP; Sanford may be the anti-Obama candidate. Gov. Palin will just be the new Adlai Stephenson (with apologies to Adlai.)
I so agree with you about S.C. selling their soul. Look what they were willing to do with the oil debate. One of the FEW redeeming things S. C. has going for it is economically is tourism, and they were willing to sell their coastline (not literally but pretty close) to get in the oil business. Sanford started out honorably. But he eventually sold his soul too, to appease Lindsey Graham and McCain. In truth, the majority of SC voters were attracted Palin and McCain like a moth to a light bulb. So Sanford had to head for the light to to keep their attention.

When most of the textile mills died, they had to bring in new industry. SC has always been a serfdom state, unfortunately. Most towns were built around textile plants.(Thank god for Miliken) Then they pimped that out and left the workers to turn to BMW and other foreign investors. They have attempted to make it a healthcare focused state as well but I am not sure that is the smartest path to success either.

Sanford would do well to realize that SC needs to be more progressive, not just economically, but in ideaology. There is still too much religious influence in politics in SC from the religious right wing. It is amazing the impact preachers of even the smallest churches have in the pulpit on Sunday morning, Sunday nights, and Wednesday nights.

On the upside, perhaps agriculture will make a huge comeback there. I still think it is an excellent place to invest in growing crops for biofuels. Maybe it could be the new tobacco or cotton.
Jess

Largo, FL

#16 Mar 26, 2009
I doubt any of you have lived in SC, I grew up there and my parents are still there. Sanford is doing what the people of that state want. They do not want Obamas money, they refuse to become the Feds puppet. SC is saying we will handle our own, which seems that they are sticking to what they have believed in since the begining, no big Federal Government. Yes they are having a tough time, but they want to help themselves. I find it so interesting that Obama and Congress made sure that there was the little loop hole included in the Stimlus Bill tht would allow state congresses bybass the Gov. since normally the Gov. is the last word. I guess Obama knew that there would be men like Sanford that stood up for what he and his supporters believe in, helping themselves and no hand outs from the Fed.
Jess

Largo, FL

#17 Mar 26, 2009
Walkn on Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>I so agree with you about S.C. selling their soul. Look what they were willing to do with the oil debate. One of the FEW redeeming things S. C. has going for it is economically is tourism, and they were willing to sell their coastline (not literally but pretty close) to get in the oil business. Sanford started out honorably. But he eventually sold his soul too, to appease Lindsey Graham and McCain. In truth, the majority of SC voters were attracted Palin and McCain like a moth to a light bulb. So Sanford had to head for the light to to keep their attention.
When most of the textile mills died, they had to bring in new industry. SC has always been a serfdom state, unfortunately. Most towns were built around textile plants.(Thank god for Miliken) Then they pimped that out and left the workers to turn to BMW and other foreign investors. They have attempted to make it a healthcare focused state as well but I am not sure that is the smartest path to success either.
Sanford would do well to realize that SC needs to be more progressive, not just economically, but in ideaology. There is still too much religious influence in politics in SC from the religious right wing. It is amazing the impact preachers of even the smallest churches have in the pulpit on Sunday morning, Sunday nights, and Wednesday nights.
On the upside, perhaps agriculture will make a huge comeback there. I still think it is an excellent place to invest in growing crops for biofuels. Maybe it could be the new tobacco or cotton.
I am sure that South carolinians would like for you to keep your opinion about how the run their state to yourself. The people like their small towns and close communities. You dont approve that is perfectly alright, dont go their, but please do not tell them you believe they would benefit from leaving their values by the wayside. If they did this Columbia may turn out alot like Atlanta, drug ridden and with a crazy high crime rate. Handle Georgias issues before trying to help South Carolina!

“Peace be with you.”

Lexington, SC

#18 Mar 26, 2009
Jess wrote:
I doubt any of you have lived in SC, I grew up there and my parents are still there. Sanford is doing what the people of that state want. They do not want Obamas money, they refuse to become the Feds puppet. SC is saying we will handle our own, which seems that they are sticking to what they have believed in since the begining, no big Federal Government. Yes they are having a tough time, but they want to help themselves. I find it so interesting that Obama and Congress made sure that there was the little loop hole included in the Stimlus Bill tht would allow state congresses bybass the Gov. since normally the Gov. is the last word. I guess Obama knew that there would be men like Sanford that stood up for what he and his supporters believe in, helping themselves and no hand outs from the Fed.
We are going to close schools our education budget dropped from 102 million to 1.1 million. Not to mention cuts in mental health and other important areas.

It is not what we want! And if we can help it, we will accept our stimulus package with a big fat smile on our faces!!
Mine will still have my nose attached :-)
Walkn on Sunshine

Stockbridge, GA

#19 Mar 26, 2009
Jess wrote:
You'd be wrong. Bred and born. South Carolinian by birth. Georgian by circumstance. I love South Carolina. It is home.
Walkn on Sunshine

Stockbridge, GA

#20 Mar 26, 2009
Jess wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure that South carolinians would like for you to keep your opinion about how the run their state to yourself. The people like their small towns and close communities. You dont approve that is perfectly alright, dont go their, but please do not tell them you believe they would benefit from leaving their values by the wayside. If they did this Columbia may turn out alot like Atlanta, drug ridden and with a crazy high crime rate. Handle Georgias issues before trying to help South Carolina!
Your parent may be there. You may have been raised there. But as a property owner in South Carolina, I have a stake there too..now. So I will NOT keep my opinions to myself. Thank YOU very much. It would pay you to know of what you speak. And by the by...South Carolina has not skirted the drug problems either, or the drug gangs, or the high crime. They only have less numbers because they have less people. But they have their great share of drug problems.......(Comin at me like I don't know what I am talking about. lol)
Crazy Ox3thong

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Mar 26, 2009
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a different view.
:-) cheap hoooooooker ? stimulus package>>>steamMostLu st backage ?:-000000
Old American Gal

United States

#22 Mar 26, 2009
As a tax-paying resident of South Carolina and a business owner, I back the governor. Federal money always has federal strings attached. I for one prefer to solve my problems on my own, with hard work and honesty. The federal behemoth needs to be reined in and authority returned to states and communities. Smaller units (government and business) are more nimble and more in touch with what's actually going on. That's one of GM's problems - they're so big they can't adapt fast enough. This will make for an interesting experiment - let's see who recovers faster, the states who take federal money, or the states who don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickens County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keith Thomasson II (Feb '14) Feb '14 jusbncurious 1
Case dropped against SC woman jailed over video (Feb '14) Feb '14 tallyho 23
This woman was arrested for failing to return a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Le Jimbo 4
South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 2
South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mandela 4
Pickens Sheriff Refuses to Lower Flag for Mandela (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 5
Congratulations and God Bless Roy Costner IV (Jun '13) Jun '13 Patriot 3

Pickens County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE