SC county to vote English as official...

SC county to vote English as official language

There are 24 comments on the WIS-TV Columbia story from Jul 23, 2008, titled SC county to vote English as official language. In it, WIS-TV Columbia reports that:

A South Carolina county is trying to make English its official language as part of an ordinance that officials say will crack down on the hiring of illegal immigrants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIS-TV Columbia.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
III

AOL

#1 Jul 23, 2008
Re-start Operation (br,bl alien) WE*BACK !!!!!!!

WBII
old dude

United States

#2 Jul 23, 2008
I've been to Pickens County and that language those ignorant hillbillies speak up there is as far from "English" as Spanish is.

Maybe they should learn to speak English first themselves.
Illegals R Us

Murrells Inlet, SC

#3 Jul 23, 2008
old dude wrote:
I've been to Pickens County and that language those ignorant hillbillies speak up there is as far from "English" as Spanish is.
Smirk....
Oldvet

Myrtle Beach, SC

#4 Jul 23, 2008
old dude wrote:
Sound a little ignorant yourself....dude.

At least they are showing some balls to try to do something in the face of the illegal alien problem.
Julie

AOL

#5 Jul 23, 2008
Isn't English already the official language of the United States? Why does a county in SC feel the need to pass an ordinance? What is wrong with this country...everyone who comes here needs to speak and write English (and they need to come here legally)....quit bending to what these people want from other countries, listen to your own people! We are American, we speak English...we want our signs in the stores in English!
James

Myrtle Beach, SC

#6 Jul 23, 2008
It's about time South Carolina did this. I am tired of being "spoon-fed" the Spanish language on all of the products I purchase. Haven't you noticed that ALL of the product labels are bi-lingual? I shouldn't have to select the "English" version at the ATM or the scale/stamp machine at the post office, either.
James

Myrtle Beach, SC

#7 Jul 23, 2008
Julie wrote:
Isn't English already the official language of the United States? Why does a county in SC feel the need to pass an ordinance? What is wrong with this country...everyone who comes here needs to speak and write English (and they need to come here legally)....quit bending to what these people want from other countries, listen to your own people! We are American, we speak English...we want our signs in the stores in English!
Have you walked in Lowe's Home Improvement, lately. EVERYTHING is bi-lingual. Look at the ends of the aisles when you go in. Are you looking for plumbing supplies? Try "plomería". Ceiling fans? Look for "el techo ventila".
amazed

Brunswick, OH

#8 Jul 23, 2008
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you walked in Lowe's Home Improvement, lately. EVERYTHING is bi-lingual. Look at the ends of the aisles when you go in. Are you looking for plumbing supplies? Try "plomería". Ceiling fans? Look for "el techo ventila".
And that is exactly why I stopped shopping there. I now go to a local, family owned store. I get better service and the prices are still comparable on most products.
questing

Conway, SC

#9 Jul 24, 2008
The mexicans are the largest minority group in the US, so business is wise to cater to them.
She Be Me

AOL

#10 Jul 24, 2008
English as the official and legal language would save taxpayers a lot of money. No interpreters would be provided at taxpayers expense. State literature would only have to be printed in English saving even more taxpayer funds. All test would be given in English i.e., drivers test (if they can't read English they have NO business driving).
old dude

United States

#11 Jul 30, 2008
If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!

You'd think these darned foreigners forget where they are. This is the oldest country in the world with the oldest language too.

More people speak English in the whole world than any other language.

GO USA!
Music Girl

Myrtle Beach, SC

#12 Jul 30, 2008
I thought Ebonics was already the official language
Jose Jiminez

United States

#13 Jul 30, 2008
Usted americanos no entienden. Cada vez hay más mexicanos de venir aquí y vamos a tomar el relevo. Usted tendrá que enseñar español a sus hijos. Just acostumbrarse a esa idea.
nascar

AOL

#14 Aug 18, 2008
Illegals R Us wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk....
i don't think pickens county has any thing to do with yall down there so shus it
nascar

AOL

#15 Aug 18, 2008
old dude wrote:
lol I THINK YOU YANKEES NEED TO GO BACK UP NORTH WERE YALL BELONG
nascar

AOL

#16 Nov 20, 2008
Illegals R Us wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk....
YANKEE GO BACK UP NORTH
Mary

AOL

#18 Nov 22, 2008
Wow some of these comments. First of all we don't know for sure which is the oldest language. The first written language probably is Sumerian or Egyptian. They had the first written system. This was 3200BC.

Foreigners? When our fore fathers came to this country they were foreigners and looked who they did away with. When our fore fathers debated on which language to use English only won over German by about four votes. Our fore fathers came from all over the world and spoke many different languages.

San Marino is the oldest City in Europe notated 301AD.

So all of this doesn't hold water. Have grandkids can't understand a word they say as they were raised in SC. Maybe we should be putting our concerns on how to speak English in school. Seems that is a lost art, all you have to do around here is mutter.
So start English speaking classes for Spanish and maybe some of our kids could also learn some Spanish. Majority of Countires can speak more than on language, we do good to get thru English.

“"Hit the Road, Rhodes '09"”

Since: Aug 08

mount pleasant sc

#19 Nov 22, 2008
You can still have your sister ...she's ugly...no yankee would want her.. she probably speaks hillbilly or redneck or something...
nascar wrote:
<quoted text> YANKEE GO BACK UP NORTH

Since: Sep 08

USA

#20 Nov 22, 2008
ncjail wrote:
You can still have your sister ...she's ugly...no yankee would want her.. she probably speaks hillbilly or redneck or something... <quoted text>
NCJail...Make contact with me.
[email protected]

Thanks
Secure the border

Fort White, FL

#21 Nov 22, 2008
questing wrote:
The mexicans are the largest minority group in the US, so business is wise to cater to them.
Only because of illegal immigration and 3rd world birth rates. They didnt move ahead of blacks because of legal immigration and responsible birth rates. No prize today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickens County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keith Thomasson II (Feb '14) Feb '14 jusbncurious 1
News Case dropped against SC woman jailed over video (Feb '14) Feb '14 tallyho 23
News This woman was arrested for failing to return a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Le Jimbo 4
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 2
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mandela 4
News Pickens Sheriff Refuses to Lower Flag for Mandela (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 5
Congratulations and God Bless Roy Costner IV (Jun '13) Jun '13 Patriot 3
More from around the web