Case dropped against SC woman jailed ...

Case dropped against SC woman jailed over video

There are 23 comments on the The Modesto Bee story from Feb 22, 2014, titled Case dropped against SC woman jailed over video. In it, The Modesto Bee reports that:

Pickens County sheriff's deputies said the owner decided to not pursue the charge because of the media attention that 27-year-old Kayla Michelle Finley's arrest received.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Modesto Bee.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Feb 22, 2014
I would suggest a zero tolerents policy.
Independent

United States

#2 Feb 22, 2014
Fundies R Mentally ill wrote:
I would suggest a zero tolerents policy.
Zero tolerance might be better.

But then again, it depends on who, or what, you are tolerating.
The warrant should have been laughed at and quickly filed in the trash bin. We should not tolerate law enforcement ignoring laws, such as statute of limitations on a misdemeanor.
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Feb 22, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it would be worse, because a customer "rents" videos, and does not "rance" them.

You people are pathetic. Completely clueless.
Said it B 4

Springboro, OH

#4 Feb 22, 2014
Fundies R Mentally ill wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it would be worse, because a customer "rents" videos, and does not "rance" them.
You people are pathetic. Completely clueless.
You're not funny, just stupid. Don't quit your day job. As if...

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#5 Feb 22, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
But then again, it depends on who, or what, you are tolerating.
The warrant should have been laughed at and quickly filed in the trash bin. We should not tolerate law enforcement ignoring laws, such as statute of limitations on a misdemeanor.
don't hang out your Shingle:

eHow
Legal
Criminal Law
Criminal Law Basics
The Statute of Limitations for Arrest Warrants

By Dan Howard, eHow Contributor

Print this article

The Statute of Limitations for Arrest Warrants thumbnail
Arrest warrants never expire unless revoked by a judge

Most people are familiar with the legal idea of a statute of limitations, which states that you can no longer be tried for a crime after a certain amount of time has elapsed. However, if you have an outstanding arrest warrant there is no statute of limitations for enforcing that warrant.

“Circa 1949”

Since: Mar 13

...lightly salted...

#6 Feb 22, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
eHow
Legal
Criminal Law
Criminal Law Basics
Print this article
The Statute of Limitations for Arrest Warrants thumbnail
Most people are familiar with the legal idea of a statute of limitations, which states that you can no longer be tried for a crime after a certain amount of time has elapsed. However, if you have an outstanding arrest warrant there is no statute of limitations for enforcing that warrant.
She spent a night in jail on the arrest warrant before the charges were dropped...was wondering if this will go on her record?
Oh...get a haircut...

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#7 Feb 22, 2014
Enzo49 wrote:
<quoted text>
She spent a night in jail on the arrest warrant before the charges were dropped...was wondering if this will go on her record?
Oh...get a haircut...
why anything I hate is a hair in place man... yes it will but should be removed in six months , if not she can have it expunged

wanta know why ok

“Circa 1949”

Since: Mar 13

...lightly salted...

#8 Feb 22, 2014
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
why anything I hate is a hair in place man... yes it will but should be removed in six months , if not she can have it expunged
wanta know why ok
If ya got it, flaunt it I say...seems my hair has migrated to other regions...
Why? I'll guess that she has to go 6 months without any new infractions before her record is cleaned...

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#9 Feb 22, 2014
Enzo49 wrote:
<quoted text>
If ya got it, flaunt it I say...seems my hair has migrated to other regions...
Why? I'll guess that she has to go 6 months without any new infractions before her record is cleaned...
no because sometimes warrants National Police networks ... so that she will not be arrested again in another location... but you can also have past records expunged

nice thing about retirement is I don't have to be business world , neat

wind blown hair is great
Independent

United States

#10 Feb 22, 2014
tallyho wrote:
eHow
Legal
Criminal Law Basics
And yet, knowing this, the police decide to harass someone anyway? What is the sense in that?
It is a waste of time, money and resources.

As soon as the statute limitation for prosecution is reached, the warrant needs to become null and void.

Not looking to hang out any shingles, I am smarter than that. I use common sense.
Something our justice system is sorely lacking.

Do you know if that law is common in every state?

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#11 Feb 22, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, knowing this, the police decide to harass someone anyway? What is the sense in that?
It is a waste of time, money and resources.
As soon as the statute limitation for prosecution is reached, the warrant needs to become null and void.
Not looking to hang out any shingles, I am smarter than that. I use common sense.
Something our justice system is sorely lacking.
Do you know if that law is common in every state?
most states are uni-code .. but you don't understand .. she was arrested due to this warrant after she was ,being processed for another reason ...lighten up the police enforce the the law.... she was wrong
she stole ... what if it was a car or higher value just forget it..

the justice system has been working since the Roman Empire
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Feb 22, 2014
Said it B 4 wrote:
<quoted text>You're not funny, just stupid. Don't quit your day job. As if...
It's not a matter of whether you or someone else likes a particular pun.

It's a matter of whether the hectoring cretin even realized one was taking place.

The complainer did not say, "I hate puns." The complainer, as usual around here, corrected the spelling.
Independent

United States

#13 Feb 22, 2014
tallyho wrote:
most states are uni-code .. but you don't understand .. she was arrested due to this warrant after she was ,being processed for another reason ...lighten up the police enforce the the law.... she was wrong
she stole ... what if it was a car or higher value just forget it..
the justice system has been working since the Roman Empire
I understand what you are saying, I still disagree with a warrant not having an ending time.

If it had been a car I wouldn't have said misdemeanor. And any statute that has run its course no longer needs a warrant, no matter the original charge. No arrest is necessary on an outdated warrant.

I was not aware she had been arrested on other charges. That does not, however, negate the waste of time and resources spent to process the warrant.

Perhaps the video was just overlooked or forgotten about and not stolen.
tallyho wrote:
"the justice system has been working since the Roman Empire"
And it has yet to be perfected.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#14 Feb 22, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying, I still disagree with a warrant not having an ending time.
If it had been a car I wouldn't have said misdemeanor. And any statute that has run its course no longer needs a warrant, no matter the original charge. No arrest is necessary on an outdated warrant.
I was not aware she had been arrested on other charges. That does not, however, negate the waste of time and resources spent to process the warrant.
<quoted text>
do you understand what a warrant is... an order of a court which authorizes a law enforcement officer to arrest and bring a person before the judge.

doesn't mean you have been charged

that your right to be wrong

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#15 Feb 22, 2014
tsk tsk a car could be a misdemeanor

value ..dictates

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#16 Feb 22, 2014
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
now you just was told warrant don't have expiration dates ..now why do you insist that she is innocent ... applies to theft then it should apply to murder

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#17 Feb 22, 2014
here is the best idea yet you have it your way ..

Outstanding Warrant

An order that has not yet been carried out; an order for which the action commanded has not been taken.

When the action ordered has been done, the warrant is said to have been executed
Independent

United States

#18 Feb 22, 2014
tallyho wrote:
now you just was told warrant don't have expiration dates ..now why do you insist that she is innocent ... applies to theft then it should apply to murder
Yes you have pointed out my error in my original statement.
I accept that.

My argument is, I believe to use a warrant, that will have no judicial outcome, is senseless.
Doesn't matter the value of the item stolen. If the statute has been reached, the warrant also needs to go away and no arrests made for that warrant.

There is no statute on murder. It will follow you for life. Theft and murder are not comparable.
Are you of the mind that all warrants and all crimes should follow you for life?

I do not insist she is innocent or guilty of anything, only offered up other possibilities. That would have been for the court to decide had she been arrested before the statute ran its course.
Independent

United States

#19 Feb 22, 2014
tallyho wrote:
here is the best idea yet you have it your way ..
Outstanding Warrant
An order that has not yet been carried out; an order for which the action commanded has not been taken.
When the action ordered has been done, the warrant is said to have been executed
Orders can be rescinded. They are not carved in stone nor written in blood.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#21 Feb 22, 2014
wrong

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickens County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keith Thomasson II (Feb '14) Feb '14 jusbncurious 1
News This woman was arrested for failing to return a... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Le Jimbo 4
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 2
News South Carolina Sheriff Refuses To Lower Flag To... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mandela 4
News Pickens Sheriff Refuses to Lower Flag for Mandela (Dec '13) Dec '13 Vivek Golikeri 5
Congratulations and God Bless Roy Costner IV (Jun '13) Jun '13 Patriot 3
News Active Shooter exercise held at Baptist Easley (Apr '13) Apr '13 Tkr2xs 1
More from around the web