Many Franklin County veterans now avoid the local veterans serv...

There are 14 comments on the Dec 6, 2009, DispatchPolitics story titled Many Franklin County veterans now avoid the local veterans serv.... In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

Kinkead developed lung cancer because of Agent Orange in Vietnam, and he says he might have died if he hadn't sought help from the Pickaway County Veterans Service Commission.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Rabungap

Cornelia, GA

#61 Dec 6, 2009
I used to live in Pickaway County (now live in Georgia). Several years ago I needed help on some documentation (agent orange). Got great help and support from the VA agent in Pickaway County.
Jim

Columbus, OH

#62 Dec 6, 2009
I love how people lump one subject with another, when they are entirely unrelated.

1) This problem originated in Franklin County and not the VA. Franklin County should be paying Pickaway for their services as they are actually delivering them. It is the county commissioners responsibility to fix the problem. It wasnt like there were not aware of them.

2) VA has government owned and operated facilities.( Federal)

3) The Health Care reform bill is about purchasing private health insurance for people currently uninsured or uninsurable. Someone tell me where in this bill that the US Government is opening healthcare facilities.

I will tell you one thing, the VA is much more successful buying drugs in bulk than some insurance companies and Medicare and medicaid.
What do you know

Washington Court House, OH

#63 Dec 7, 2009
CMH Rick wrote:
Sounds like everyone who was not given a free ride is trying to blame the VA. Sure some were probably not treated like they should have been but, many many more want a free ride just because they went to war.

Veterans are just like any other group of people, some deserve benefits and some are just trying to scam the system.
It's obvious you never the stones to serve your country, our country is full of cowards just like yourself. Fortunately there were those of us who in the past obviously simply carried out our job so self-centered individuals like yourself could enjoy a life others in the world will never know.

My experience with this county agency to get copies of my service jacket was disgusting. Those sitting behind the desks are veterans who simply process individuals, any additional questions other than the record request was referred to the VA.

The Franklin County Commissioners & numerous members of Mike Coleman's staff have fielded these concerns and because it wasn't something that directly affected them have done absolutely nothing to resolve these issues.

Not only is it time to clean house within the county agency there needs to be a recall of the Franklin County Commissioners, Mike Coleman & Columbus City Council. At the same time don't expect anything of the sort for the simple reason less than 4% of the population have served to ensure the freedoms our citizens enjoy.

I don't want or need anything from these governmental veteran agencies and those who obviously haven't served need to shout their holes permanently.
BeentheredoneTha t

Columbus, OH

#64 Dec 7, 2009
Sadly another sign of the times! The Veterans Service Officers should be held to a much
higher standard, after-all, that is their job to assist Veterans!
chuckieg

Westerville, OH

#65 Dec 7, 2009
thanks Dispatch for opening the files of the franklin county greed and corruption. The only real service they provide is giving each other huge raises while their poor veterans are denied. They can't afford to pay for all those parties and conventions and still care for the vets. This is criminal.
CMH Rick

Ada, OH

#66 Dec 9, 2009
What do you know wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious you never the stones to serve your country, our country is full of cowards just like yourself. Fortunately there were those of us who in the past obviously simply carried out our job so self-centered individuals like yourself could enjoy a life others in the world will never know.
My experience with this county agency to get copies of my service jacket was disgusting. Those sitting behind the desks are veterans who simply process individuals, any additional questions other than the record request was referred to the VA.
The Franklin County Commissioners & numerous members of Mike Coleman's staff have fielded these concerns and because it wasn't something that directly affected them have done absolutely nothing to resolve these issues.
Not only is it time to clean house within the county agency there needs to be a recall of the Franklin County Commissioners, Mike Coleman & Columbus City Council. At the same time don't expect anything of the sort for the simple reason less than 4% of the population have served to ensure the freedoms our citizens enjoy.
I don't want or need anything from these governmental veteran agencies and those who obviously haven't served need to shout their holes permanently.
For your information I did indeed serve my country with not one but two tours of combat in Viet Nam, so don't talk about my stones.
served themselves

Delaware, OH

#67 Dec 10, 2009
They all did serve. It is the ones who run the agency, not the workers who do help the Veterans on a daily basis that these articles are referring to. They are all Veterans themselves doing this to other Veterans. They are not the VA and not public health care either.
Vox Populi wrote:
Typical big city with two types. Spoiled suburban brats who rule, yet never served, who could care less about those who did and who resent paying any taxes at all, even to help those who served when they didn't, over paying their country club dues vs. the multitude with no power. It's not surprising this man got better service in a small town where social stratification is less apparent, where spoiled suburbanites do not prevail and where there's more appreciation for veterans.
This is also a good example of why people are wary of government health care.

Since: Dec 09

Delaware, OH

#68 Dec 10, 2009
The top three executives in the article that got the raises are NOT Veterans Service Officers. The article shows this. There is a big difference between three self proclaimed big wigs and County Veteran Service Officers who do bust their butts, considerably in other counties, for much lower wages.
BeentheredoneThat wrote:
Sadly another sign of the times! The Veterans Service Officers should be held to a much
higher standard, after-all, that is their job to assist Veterans!
knowledgable vet

Cincinnati, OH

#69 Dec 17, 2009
If the facts are true then this is just plain wrong and I too believe that action has to be taken. I do want everyone replying to realize however that this is not healthcare and not run by congressman. This is a county organization and has no ties to the Veterans Association other than supplying them information. This situation was not caused by the VA and should not be blamed on them. This was the act of a few selfish individuals who if you do your research happen to be Veterans taking from there own.
thank you
"... to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan..."
Abraham Lincoln
Second Inaugural Address
March 4, 1865
SONNY

Columbus, OH

#70 Dec 21, 2009
I was told by the primary care doctor that I should go back to my private doctor. The reason for his statement that i did not recieve injuries or loss of limb, this statement also came from the PURPLE HEART SERVICE OFFICER of the V.A Clinic, I left and never been back since. The director of the V.A Clinic stated that I wnet back on my own. The lying two faced primary doctor now retired, and doing well off the taxpayers of the U.S. I did get some calls from the V.A stateing that I left on my own, yes I did with the help of the doctor and service officer. I do take veterans to the V.A, but do go there for myself. I can get cheaper perscriptions on the outside and are Generic as well $9.00 for a 90 day supply.
Emily

Columbus, OH

#71 Dec 21, 2009
This is purely criminal. Any section of the law would tell you that this amounts to stealing from the public by way of income taxes or property taxes or rate payers dollars and giving raises to themselves is nothing but corruption and all these public employees who engage in this type activity should be punished by imprisonment.
mtgphd

AOL

#72 Dec 28, 2009
It is unfortunate that people are politicizing the human misery reported here, and are bent on promulgating the "true Conservative" ideas that nobody is entitled to anything. I am sympathetic to Veterans and their problems, and I work to try to help. The worst confusion I have seen in these Comments is to tie the existing Veterans health care problems in Franklin County to the universal health care reform policy proposed by President Obama and the Democrats, and to use the problems with Veterans Affairs, as examples of terrible "government-run health care." Please remember that Medicare is government-run health care, that most people are very satisfied with it and can't wait to be eligible for it. So, let's not use this as a forum to trash universal health care, just because "true conservatives" don't believe any such health care is good for the country. I am a provider of health care services, and I can tell you I have much more trouble getting coverage reimbursement for my patients from the private health care industry (insurance companies) than I have with securing Medicare services for myself. I can also tell you that I have had difficulty with Franklin County and Cleveland offices securing help for a very deserving veteran/client Thank you.
Healthcare

Grove City, OH

#73 Jan 1, 2010
This is only tease of what's going to happen once this healthcare bill kicks off for the rest of us Americans
Pickaway County

Athens, OH

#74 Feb 27, 2010
Iv'e been thinking is this my generations cival war

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickaway County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 17 Indicted for Drug Trafficking in Pickaw... Apr 17 BG 13
News Donald R. Shepard and Brent A. Cox have been ch... (Nov '11) Feb '15 strankoff 26
News Sheriff: Driver Dies After Car Strikes Ohio Bridge (Jul '14) Jul '14 who 1
News Harrisburg police may be out of bounds (Oct '07) May '14 Guitarz626 2
News Huge Meth Lab Bust in Pickaway County (Apr '14) Apr '14 seth Ferguson 8
News Brawling bikers draw 30 officers to Madison Cou... (Jun '12) Feb '14 what2know 2
News Man behind deadly prank wants out of prison (Nov '12) Jan '14 YoungRestless 188
More from around the web