3 YMCA Locations Offering Emergency C...

3 YMCA Locations Offering Emergency Childcare | WBNS-10TV, Cent...

There are 10 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jan 7, 2010, titled 3 YMCA Locations Offering Emergency Childcare | WBNS-10TV, Cent.... In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

When the weather shuts down schools, working parents are often left scrambling to find emergency childcare, but the YMCA has a solution, 10TV News reported Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

Y member

Columbus, OH

#2 Jan 7, 2010
Y memberships don't cost a fortune. They aren't any more expensive than 2 adult gym memberships- and the whole family gets in. Also- if you can't afford the entire cost, they have funds to assist. The Y is a great family-oriented place to be! They help the community in so many ways.
pcfromfl

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Jan 7, 2010
Y member wrote:
Y memberships don't cost a fortune. They aren't any more expensive than 2 adult gym memberships- and the whole family gets in. Also- if you can't afford the entire cost, they have funds to assist. The Y is a great family-oriented place to be! They help the community in so many ways.
I thought it was free to join the Y
Hilliard Mom

Westerville, OH

#4 Jan 7, 2010
PLEASE.. they are expensive. For the basic membership 2 adults, 1 child, with tax it's over $85.00 per month... Lifestyle is cheaper BY FAR
Another Y member

Columbus, OH

#5 Jan 7, 2010
Hilliard Mom wrote:
PLEASE.. they are expensive. For the basic membership 2 adults, 1 child, with tax it's over $85.00 per month... Lifestyle is cheaper BY FAR
Two adults and one child at the Y according to their website is $76.86.
Another Y member

Columbus, OH

#6 Jan 7, 2010
Actually the $76.86 is for 2 adults and their CHILDREN, not just one child.
vic

United States

#8 Jan 8, 2010
Hilliard Mom wrote:
I have a membership to the Hilliard Y and there are 5 in my family 2 adults 3 kids one of which is listed as an adult and I only pay $76 a month???? Plus I can use the Y back where I grew up when I visit my folks. I think its cheap consdering they also get the use of the pool and the other benifits like bringing a friend for free 3x a year.

“Defecting to Mexico”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#9 Jan 8, 2010
It's a little expensive but not if you use it. If you're a member it costs less to take classes and for your kids to play sports. Our Y has overnights and Pizza parties all the time that my kids love going to.
I know

Columbus, OH

#11 Jan 8, 2010
Membership dues don't mean free childcare...Before & after child care during the school year IS affordable but SDO (school days off) are $30 per child, per day and you have to pack a lunch. If you have two or more kids, that is very expensive. Summer child care is way expensive - averaging $147 a week for full time. But overall, the YMCA is a great safe and fun place.
ColumbusMom

Nashport, OH

#12 Jan 8, 2010
"SDO (school days off) are $30 per child, per day and you have to pack a lunch. If you have two or more kids, that is very expensive."

That is less than $5.00 per hour based on an 8 hr. day. What is good, safe care for a child worth? Most people think nothing of paying $5 for a venti Starbucks, but balk at paying $5/hr to have someone care for your child? And to complain about having to pack a lunch too? I think parents are very lucky to at least have an option for care for their child on snow days/SDOs rather than having to take off work.
HilliardNana

Cambridge, OH

#13 Jan 8, 2010
1) It would have been nice for the story to tell which centers in Franklin County offer this service!

2) Even if it was $85/month... think of all the things many families spend that much money on and which are worthless by comparison: cable tv and cell phones come to mind immediately.

3)$30/day is less than $4/hr... even with three kids you'd only have to make more than $11.25/hr to make it worthwhile in a pinch if it's keeping your job you're worried about vs. taking the time off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pickaway County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brent Cox now faces trial June 4th in Circleville. (Apr '12) Nov '16 Christie 61
News Ex-veterans official convicted of stealing from... Oct '16 Voter 3
jason acker has a meth lab forsure on 56 (May '16) Jul '16 Caught 6
steves pizza in adelphi ohio (Jul '16) Jul '16 You know 1
News Community surprises Pickaway Co. deputy with ne... (May '16) May '16 Wonderful people ... 17
News Pickaway County woman found guilty in murder-fo... (Feb '16) Feb '16 peace 27
News 17 Indicted for Drug Trafficking in Pickaw... (Mar '15) Jan '16 tom tom 15
More from around the web