Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Are any of you familiar with the former pastor of the Lake Erie Church of God, Ken Wright? He is now pastoring a church in Beckley, WV.
Unknown

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Yes. i am very familiar with him.
he's a great man.
truly a man of God.
why?
Exodus

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2009

Just Wondering, I am really sorry that you have not had more responses. I thought that you would get email blasts from members of Lake Erie Church of God regarding their former pastor. I'm sure they would have much to say about his work there. After my post maybe they will come out of the woodwork now. To Unknown, you asked the question, Why? Perhaps Just Wondering would like to have feedback (negative or postive) to the ministry of KW. Can you please define the word 'great' in context here. It is quite ambiguious. I've been a member of FWC for 15 years, and I'm beginning to wonder what KW plans to do with the church that he refers to as 'his gift from God'. Since he has been in pastorate in Beckley, WV, we seem to be falling apart. Members and former members of FWC would not use such a blanket word as 'great' to define KW's current ministry. So if you have postiive feedback to share, it may help as we try to believe in something other that what we are currently witnessing in our midst. We are losing more members than we are adding to the Kingdom. At this rate, I do not know how we will continue financing our church and keeping KW and his entire staff on board in ministry and leadership in Beckley, WV. Tell us more about what you refer to as 'truly a man of God.' We sincerely do not see the fruits of his greatness yet. Some of us are still holding on waiting but we feel desperate to believe in him and his ministry.
RSH

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

O.K. I don't really have a comment, but a question. My question is to the person that can give me some answers. Some answers that are true, and concrete. I'm not too interested in hear say, or rumors, that the small town of Beckley is so good at. We have a church on every corner here, but there's not enough in all of them put together to even fill up the Convention Center. So those that don't know the truth, save it. What I want to know is, is what is the "problem"? My wife and I just moved here a few months ago from FL, and have been attending FWC, but I, being a native of Beckley, keep hearing all these rumors. So far I've heard that a retired pastor with the intials RD has taken some people to Country Inns & Suites, and then I heard that the Youth Pastor from FWC has taken some people to the Convention Center, and the rest who have left, have ended up at the Assemblies of God on Harper rd. So I would like to know what the problem is. I'm sure I could go to some of the long time members of the church that I know and ask them. But why should I bother them with this bothersome question? I want it to come from those who seem to have all the answers. So who will step up and give an account? I for one have been to the FWC, and both my wife and I feel that KW is a great preacher. I feel GOD when he preaches. GOD moves when he ministers. I was there the night his former mentor was there to kick off this years campmeeting. So if KW left OH with some issues, would his former mentor had came to preach two nights for him? If some one can, could you shed some light on this subject?
Unknown

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

To Exodus:
I have seen the things he has done. I'm very sorry to hear about the church splitting up, but I once tried to attend the Family Worship Center, and I will tell you why I left.

The people there had a glaze over them. I truly felt God's midst when Pastor Mark Schrade was there. However, the people in the church were different. I'm not sure why Pastor Schrade did not catch on. There was a terrible clique, and the people there never made me feel welcome. It was an extravagant building with the most successful people. Was I treated differently because I did not have as much money as these people?

There were certain people that did, however make me feel welcome. They weren't the deacons, ushers, or pastors, though. they were the "common" people, who only wanted God's will for their life.

Pastor Ken Wright has a more radical approach to his ministry. Just because he does things differently than Pastor Schrade does not, by any means mean that his fruit is bad.

I talked to some people who left the church, and some who stayed. I'm glad the clique is broken. I have returned to the church, and will continue going there for a very long time.

Would it destroy you to respect him? To give him a chance? I sincerely love all the members who left, but i will not pity them, because i am welcome now.
The real Truth

Lewisburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2010

If you only knew the truth. If I were to tell you you would not believe me so it will be better if you find out for yourselves.
Curious

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2010

The real Truth wrote:
If you only knew the truth. If I were to tell you you would not believe me so it will be better if you find out for yourselves.
I would definitely like to hear the truth. I was a former attender there and was definitely "not welcome" to stay.
slightlybothered

Madison, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I would definitely like to hear the truth. I was a former attender there and was definitely "not welcome" to stay.
I remember the church from the start, and yes, money talks, and the rest of us walks, I don't have good memories from that time.
And what some members are willing to do, even if it isn't church business or isn't moral or legal, to please someone with money or position. I truly hope the church isn't like that now, there are not too many places where one can worship freely. And by what I have observed, I don't think that KW is considering to stay. As soon as he secures a position back in OH, He has admitted in conversation, he is not happy in this town.
Went to church in Ohio

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

In reply to ::{
RSH wrote:
O.K. I don't really have a comment, but a question. My question is to the person that can give me some answers. Some answers that are true, and concrete. I'm not too interested in hear say, or rumors, that the small town of Beckley is so good at. We have a church on every corner here, but there's not enough in all of them put together to even fill up the Convention Center. So those that don't know the truth, save it. What I want to know is, is what is the "problem"? My wife and I just moved here a few months ago from FL, and have been attending FWC, but I, being a native of Beckley, keep hearing all these rumors. So far I've heard that a retired pastor with the intials RD has taken some people to Country Inns & Suites, and then I heard that the Youth Pastor from FWC has taken some people to the Convention Center, and the rest who have left, have ended up at the Assemblies of God on Harper rd. So I would like to know what the problem is. I'm sure I could go to some of the long time members of the church that I know and ask them. But why should I bother them with this bothersome question? I want it to come from those who seem to have all the answers. So who will step up and give an account? I for one have been to the FWC, and both my wife and I feel that KW is a great preacher. I feel GOD when he preaches. GOD moves when he ministers. I was there the night his former mentor was there to kick off this years campmeeting. So if KW left OH with some issues, would his former mentor had came to preach two nights for him? If some one can, could you shed some light on this subject?
}

I attended church for a little while in Ohio. I can not tell you what all the issues were, but as I started, many were leaving. He came across to me as kind of a shady person. Not at all seriously sincere. People who had gone to the church for years were leaving. The youth minister left. The members of the choir and the band. I know a dear friend, at the time, no longer talks to him at all, and they were close. So something happened. I just never asked because I had already formed my opinion of him through meeting him and asking questions. His wife was amazing. I believe she was sincere.
Went to church in Ohio

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

The real Truth wrote:
I want to know. Please enlighten me
Beckley COG member

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

We want Pastor Mark to come back
We miss their family and his ministry
I hope it happens
Teacher

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Yes, I know Ken Wright. He sincerely believes all that he preaches and teaches. He does have a tendancy to get people bouncing off walls though. One has to know there is nothing wrong with dance, shout, twirl etc, as long as there is a reason and it is Holy Ghost driven and not just a show.

Sometimes at Lake Erie, there was a show. Other times it was sincere. He didn't crack down on the false even when he saw it.

He also didn't crack down on an associate who constantly spoke before offering about how he had tithed the week before and because God loved him, He gave him $30000 in commissions that week. It taught people who were poor or who had lost a job, that God didn't love them as much because they didn't have a smuch to give. It was sad.

He had no control over his elders who continually ran roughshod over teachers who spoke the truth of Scripture in favor of those who hyped it up. If you are going to follow Christ, you have to have the truth, not a hyped up version of the truth.

More than anything, he is confrontational only when he knows no one will kick back. He is weak when he needs to stand up for what Scripture teaches. He has no ability to control and delegates way too much authority to people on a power trip.

But as I said, he is sincere in his belief that he is doing God's will.

My suggestion: give him a chance and see if he's grown. If you are uncomfortable, find another church home.
about Ken

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Well to the writer from Cleveland, Ken is no longer here. Everything you said about his leadership weaknesses were on display here as well. He allowed the deacons,(really just one quite pushy one) to control too much of the church and as a result, a wonderful Christians school lost the support of the church and within a couple of years was forced to shut down. Ken would tell teachers that he loved the school and wanted to expand its ministries, yet he would not stand up to the deacons who were trying to shut it down.

Ken resigned near the end of the year, just a couple months after the school closed its doors. He stated that it was time to move on and that he was getting involved in a traveling evangelistic ministry.

It is now apparent that he is considering coming back to Beckley to start a new church.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Perry County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7 Indicted In Prescription Drug Trafficking Ring (Sep '13) Jun '14 tikitaki 5
Four face charges after drug raid (Nov '13) Jan '14 She Telling Now 4
Perry County Man Charged With Rape (Jul '10) Jan '14 First hand 81
Jennifer McNabb (Jul '13) Jul '13 Nosey 1
Dutiel Rape Charge Dismissed By Prosecutor (Jul '10) May '13 mike dutiel 18
Sheriff Says Meth Lab Bust In Shawnee (Apr '13) Apr '13 lies 1
Two Men Busted For Drugs In Raid (Feb '11) Jul '12 Steff Jenkins 4

Search the Perry County Forum:
•••