Unique items offered at Covered Bridg...

Unique items offered at Covered Bridge Festival

There are 36 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Oct 13, 2008, titled Unique items offered at Covered Bridge Festival. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

The 52nd annual Covered Bridge Festival is in full swing in Parke County. It would be easy to spend the week just sampling handmade fudge, roasted nuts, elephant ears, assorted root beers and a host of other ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A shopper

Canal Winchester, OH

#1 Oct 14, 2008
I wanted to let the public know that there are two sides to the Covered Bridge festival. If a person is looking for cheap sunglasses, Christmas decorations and the Sham-wow, they will want to visit Mansfield. If a person is looking for more craftier projects and handmade items, then they will want to go to Bridgeton. I wish I could have known this before hand. Mansfield is too commercial. I liked Bridgeton better, but unfortunately wasted too much time at Mansfield.
The Real bee

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Oct 14, 2008
Bridgeton does have more craft items but they still had the cheap foriegn crap in some tents. I quit going to mansfield years ago when I went to park where it had always been 3 dollars. Someone else bought the lot and was charging 10 dollars. I paid for it because I had some friends with me but they too were dissapointed with all the foriegn crap being sold. I haven't been back. If I need socks lol I can go to walmart for that. It is a shame that the festival has gone the way it has. I remember going as child with My Mom and Grandmother 20 some years ago and it was all homemade, rustic crafts and antiques. They really need to get back to the roots of it.
something to talk about

Duncan, OK

#3 Oct 14, 2008
The Real bee wrote:
Bridgeton does have more craft items but they still had the cheap foriegn crap in some tents. I quit going to mansfield years ago when I went to park where it had always been 3 dollars. Someone else bought the lot and was charging 10 dollars. I paid for it because I had some friends with me but they too were dissapointed with all the foriegn crap being sold. I haven't been back. If I need socks lol I can go to walmart for that. It is a shame that the festival has gone the way it has. I remember going as child with My Mom and Grandmother 20 some years ago and it was all homemade, rustic crafts and antiques. They really need to get back to the roots of it.
And that is why I avoid it(the festival) at all costs, I can go to Dollar General anytime.
Just an opinion

Hillsdale, IN

#4 Oct 14, 2008
The Real bee wrote:
I've heard all of the complaints about what they are selling but that festival is bigger and more crowded this year than ever before. Not everyone wants a homemade wall sign. I agree with you, if you don't like it don't go but obviuosly many are happy with what the festival has turned into. 10 times as many people as 15 years ago.
Not really

United States

#5 Oct 14, 2008
Actually, even the peoplein charge have acknowledged that crowds, vendors and sales are DOWN this year, so I don't know who thinks its ``bigger and more crowded this year than ever before'' but they must have reached that conclusion from home. 10 times as many people as 15 years ago sounds good on the Internet, but doesn't play out on the square.....
resident

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Oct 15, 2008
what is the final talley on what part comes back to our local economy.is it really worth all the trouble.as said in a previous statement all the stuff you can purchase their you can get cheaper at walmart.so where is the trade off
rain

United States

#7 Oct 15, 2008
Ya know, if you people don't like it, DON'T GO!!!
something to talk about

Duncan, OK

#8 Oct 15, 2008
rain wrote:
Ya know, if you people don't like it, DON'T GO!!!
I don't!!
The Real Rambo

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Oct 15, 2008
I don't either, if I want traffic, I can drive down by Honey Creek Square!
something to talk about

Duncan, OK

#10 Oct 15, 2008
The Real Rambo wrote:
I don't either, if I want traffic, I can drive down by Honey Creek Square!
Isn't that the truth, they run a close race there!
funny farm worker

Lynn, IN

#11 Oct 15, 2008
it will all be over soon
Lady Justice

AOL

#12 Oct 16, 2008
It's suppose to be about the covered bridges and local craft items. But greed is a demon that inhabits everyones heart and distroys every thing. They don't care whats being sold or by who as long as they pay for the space. As for parking. I thought you had to have a permit to have a business. You couldn't pay me to go to the Junk Festivals they have now.
ohhh

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Oct 16, 2008
I know some local residents that tried to sell unique handmade items and barely broke even on the booth space, no one wants to pay for the time and materials put into real handmade crafts, even bridgeton is full of mail order catalog junk.
CBF

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Oct 16, 2008
All you people on here complaining about the CBF....please stop!...their are SEVERAL Not for Profit organizations on the square in Rockville that depend on the festival. So please stop the CBF bashing and come to Rockville square and support the Not for profit organizations.
vendersson

Terre Haute, IN

#15 Oct 16, 2008
ohhh wrote:
I know some local residents that tried to sell unique handmade items and barely broke even on the booth space, no one wants to pay for the time and materials put into real handmade crafts, even bridgeton is full of mail order catalog junk.
Actually my mom makes homemade crafts and is in Bridgeton, she made enough to pay for her booth space on Monday. She was once set up in Mansfield and didn't sell as good as she does now. She was in Rosedale last few years and made her booth space, but not a lot of extra.

I will not go to Mansfield anymore, too commercail all over. Bridgeton has more home made items than Mansfield. Also, Bridgeton has local food vendors. Mansfield has mostly traveling people who go from show to show and live in other parts of the country.
Straight Shooter

United States

#16 Oct 16, 2008
I went to Mansfield and I was looking in a tent that the sign read "Hand-Made Quilts 50%off". I was looking at a quilt, and it was marked well over $500.00 dollars. The lady told me what the price would be half-off. I got to looking, and it had tags on it that said "Victorian Heart Company, made in India". I mentioned to her the fact that it was made by VHC and not hand-made and she looked completely shocked. Maybe handmade in a sweatshop somewhere. I have bought VHC merchandise before at different craft stores, but not for over $500.00. I wouldn't have thought much about it, if it weren't for the fact they are trying to pass off mass-produced products as "Hand-made".

Since: Jun 08

Parke county

#17 Oct 17, 2008
If you want the true feeling of the covered bridge festival try looking around the county and not just Rockville or Mansfield. I know of several wonderful handmade craft stands that people have put up in the yards. You can sit visit and chat with a someone from the county and hear about our history here. Near Coxville there is a gentleman whittling beautiful walking sticks as you talk to him. Down the road there is another craft stand up. Its not all about Rockville, Bridgeton and Mansfield. As for the non for profit stand heck yeah support them my kids are in band and if we didn't have the Sausage Shack I would be shilling out mega bucks for competitions and uniforms. But its not the food people on here are having the problem accepting its the commercialization of the festival and people trying to swindle tourist.$500. for a "handmade" quilt from India. I know I would have had to call someone on that one. The county should know there are vendors that need to visit the county jail for doing stuff like that. And to address the person stating the crowds have been bigger than ever. You need to stop the smoking that funny stuff. The crowds are extremly lower than average this year. I live smack dab in the middle of the most traveled roads in Parke County and the traffic has been ZIP even on the first day of the festival.

Since: Jun 08

Parke county

#18 Oct 17, 2008
CBF wrote:
All you people on here complaining about the CBF....please stop!...their are SEVERAL Not for Profit organizations on the square in Rockville that depend on the festival. So please stop the CBF bashing and come to Rockville square and support the Not for profit organizations.
Ummmm,,,, execuse me its not Bashing CBF when they are just expressing how they feel. I do believe there is a document that states they are ALLOWED to do that. And maybe with enough people stating that the commercial aspects of the festival is unappealing we might get our old festival back. To address the Non for Profit stands on the square I would hazard a guess 80% of those stands are FOOD stands. No one on here has criticized that. Its the CHEAP trinkets and fake "homemade" products that are the problem.
something to talk about

Duncan, OK

#19 Oct 17, 2008
CBF wrote:
You know, this right here is supposed to be what it is all about and IF it was, I would have not one bit of problem with this at all, I would even go! But it's not anymore.
something to talk about

Duncan, OK

#20 Oct 17, 2008
CBF wrote:
And IF this was what it was all about I would go!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Parke County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kersey joins RJL Solutions team Nov 19 proofneeded 5
News Vendor sells slave shackles at Indiana festival Oct '17 youll shoot your ... 1
News Who moved in next door when your neighbors left? Sep '17 Judy Anderson 3
News 29-year-old from Parke County facing auto-theft... (Aug '15) May '17 Bosch 3
Thief (Mar '17) Mar '17 Anonymous 1
News Parke County Arrests (Mar '09) Jan '17 Doug 8
News Police investigating double homicide in Parke C... (Aug '09) Jan '17 Daughter 15
More from around the web