Man Hit By Train In Orangeburg County

Full story: WLTX Columbia 32
Mobile Site Time Warner Cable 9 HDTV 19-1, 19-2, and 19-3 WLTX.com Best Viewed with Internet Explorer 7+ / Windows Media Plug-in 9+ / Flash Plug-in 7+ / JavaScript Enabled Back to Top Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
have mercy

Gaston, SC

#3 Dec 19, 2007
Yet another one. Maybe Orangeburg County Schools need to teach kids, starting in grade school.....STAY OFF THE RAILROAD TRACKS!! Evidently the people down there are too stupid to stay off of them.

“Trust No One”

Since: Apr 07

Summerville, SC

#4 Dec 19, 2007
We have to do something about these trains chasing people off the tracks. Just yesterday, I saw a train jump off the tracks at Hugee, chase a soccer mom and her three kids down toward Blossom, run them off the road, then turn right to go up the road, take a right onto Assembly and get back on the traks near the Greens. Where was the reporting on this? These trains must be stopped before another innocent person dies!
Susan

Cayce, SC

#5 Dec 19, 2007
CLOSE BEVERLY DRIVE IN SPRINGDALE BEFORE WE READ THIS AGAIN~!!!!!

“Trust No One”

Summerville, SC

#6 Dec 19, 2007
Yeah, Beverly Drive is another place those trains like to chase people down the street.
Amanda

Salisbury, NC

#7 Dec 19, 2007
Please don't judge all of us from Orangeburg County but there are a lot of people here getting hit on train tracks and that get ran over on Hwy. 301.

“Trust No One”

Summerville, SC

#8 Dec 19, 2007
I'm not judging you guys, Amanda. It's obviously the trains.
Chi Town Girl

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 19, 2007
Have any of you ever been near those tracks where people are getting hit? It seems to me that the county should take a look into what is causing so many accidents in this area. Do they have guard rails? and is there enough room between the tracks and stop/warning signs? I just have a hard time accepting that everyone in Orangeburg is being chased by the trains.
TM GW

Saluda, SC

#10 Dec 19, 2007
Chi Town Girl wrote:
Have any of you ever been near those tracks where people are getting hit? It seems to me that the county should take a look into what is causing so many accidents in this area. Do they have guard rails? and is there enough room between the tracks and stop/warning signs? I just have a hard time accepting that everyone in Orangeburg is being chased by the trains.
I have investigated the area and apparently all the accidents have been caused by people walking between the two steel rails that trains ride on. I think we should all petition the governer to either A) fund a program explaining that trains use these tracks or B) Bring the matter to everyone's attention at the next Watermelon Festival.
nunya

Columbia, SC

#11 Dec 19, 2007
Nooze Nutt wrote:
Yeah, Beverly Drive is another place those trains like to chase people down the street.
All they got is just that stop sign for those tracks on Beverly. I'd say they need a little more than that, no one really stops there, they should. When I was younger, I jumped those railroad tracks which could have easily been my death because there is no way I could have stopped in time if a train were coming. So I guess this guy was walking down the railroad tracks and got hit. Amazing he survived but you would think he would have heard it coming
IMHO

Cayce, SC

#12 Dec 19, 2007
Chi Town Girl wrote:
"County should take a look at what is causing so many accidents"???? It's very clear what is causing these accidents..........Stupid people that think the train can and will stop for their dumb A$$ to cross in front of it. Trains have a very predictable route. It's called tracks. You can pretty much count on the fact that if one is coming, it will be on those tracks. Now if you are stupid enough to run or drive across those tracks when it is coming, chances are high that your dumb A$$ may get hit. I live here, have seen it many times and yet people here still don't get the idea........ With the exception of two crossings (I think it's 2, may be only 1) all have crossing arms that come down. The crossings that DO have the arms are the ones that people hit the train at, not the ones without. Maybe one day people around here will come out of the cave and understand that that huge chunk of steel coming down the tracks (where it belongs by the way)will kill them if they get in front of it.

“Don't forget to vote!”

Since: Aug 07

Sumter, SC

#13 Dec 19, 2007
How hard is it to stop and check for a train before you cross the tracks? We have several in my area that only have stop signs or just flashing signals, with no crossing arms. All you have to do is stop or slow down and do a quick check. It's not like a train is hard to spot. But I am sure it is the trains fault...
becca

Lexington, SC

#14 Dec 19, 2007
what the hell was the man doing on a train track
USA

Columbia, SC

#15 Dec 19, 2007
Nooze Nutt wrote:
We have to do something about these trains chasing people off the tracks. Just yesterday, I saw a train jump off the tracks at Hugee, chase a soccer mom and her three kids down toward Blossom, run them off the road, then turn right to go up the road, take a right onto Assembly and get back on the tracks near the Greens. Where was the reporting on this? These trains must be stopped before another innocent person dies!
HEY STUPID !!!
Don't walk on railroad tracks! Especially DRUNK!!
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#16 Dec 19, 2007
Trains make alot of noise when approaching,if they're dumb enough to be on the tracks,they deserve to get hit.
Susan

Cayce, SC

#17 Dec 19, 2007
CLOSE BEVERLY DRIVE IN SPRINGDALE BEFORE WE READ THIS AGAIN~!!!!!

CLOSE BEVERLY DRIVE
CLOSE BEVERLY DRIVE
CLOSE BEVERLY DRIVE
Are you Serious

Saluda, SC

#18 Dec 19, 2007
PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD
PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD

AND YOU WON'T GET HIT BY TRAINS!
AND YOU WON'T GET HIT BY TRAINS!

why would you close a road for people's stupidity? should we close all bars because people drink and drive? should we stop letting people drive period since there are fatal car accidents? or even better should we stop all trains since people get hit by trains? NO. It's called common sense, don't play on RR crossings and you won't get hit by trains.
serious Inqurie

United States

#19 Dec 19, 2007
we need to take the trains more serious in orangeburg and stop playing russian rulelett with your lives.get serious about life.
serious Inqurie

United States

#20 Dec 19, 2007
The lord is mighter than the train so why u thank u can bet the train.
junior

United States

#21 Dec 19, 2007
the latest updated news on this is....The man was WALKING, and getting ready to cross the tracks....saw the train comming and tried to beat the train!!!....Okay.....train moving at 40 mph....man running to beat train....Hummmmm....some people are just not good at thinking....unbelievable

Since: Feb 07

Orangeburg, SC

#22 Dec 19, 2007
Uh, I don't mean to be insensitive but exactly what in the blue F@*! was somebody doing WALKING on the train tracks anyway?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orangeburg County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Firechief stabed (Dec '13) Dec '13 Rusty 1
Man shot, body left outside Vance club (Apr '09) Jul '13 the great white b... 5
Bill to create 'Eartha Kitt Day' in SC stalls (Jul '11) Feb '13 Mrs R 5
Senators to discuss future of SC State (May '12) May '12 Yana 2
Oprah's Interview With Shaquan Duley To Air Sunday (Mar '12) Mar '12 Rosa Bogar 1
Mayor Requests Jury Trial in Traffic Case (Feb '12) Feb '12 Disgrace to the b... 2
New Orangeburg Co Sheriff swears in (Feb '11) Jan '12 Rosa Bogar 5
More from around the web