Destruction everywhere

Destruction everywhere

There are 10 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Sep 14, 2008, titled Destruction everywhere. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Rescue crews in trucks, helicopters and boats scrambled to pluck people from their homes Saturday in a monumental search for thousands of Texans who stubbornly stayed behind to face Hurricane Ike.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Nancy

Rossville, GA

#1 Sep 14, 2008
No one should have to go in and rescue people that did not evacuate. They should be working on clearing the way and rebuilding the city for those who were smart enough to get out of the way. Anyone dumb enough to stay behind after being told - to their face - to GET OUT deserves to sit there without help for however long it takes (without heroic measure) for someone to ge around to stopping by.

AND - laws need to be put on the books that make it a Felony Child Abuse crime if a parent holds back a minor child to remain behind to ride out a storm when a mandatory evacuation is given (likewise for the infirm). A stupid, informed adult can remain behind and risk their life - but they should not be allowed to visit their stupidity on those who can't make decisions for themself.
Stand Tall

United States

#2 Sep 14, 2008
Nancy wrote:
No one should have to go in and rescue people that did not evacuate. They should be working on clearing the way and rebuilding the city for those who were smart enough to get out of the way. Anyone dumb enough to stay behind after being told - to their face - to GET OUT deserves to sit there without help for however long it takes (without heroic measure) for someone to ge around to stopping by.
AND - laws need to be put on the books that make it a Felony Child Abuse crime if a parent holds back a minor child to remain behind to ride out a storm when a mandatory evacuation is given (likewise for the infirm). A stupid, informed adult can remain behind and risk their life - but they should not be allowed to visit their stupidity on those who can't make decisions for themself.
You're a real nice thoughtful person. God bles you.
Pat

Pensacola, FL

#3 Sep 14, 2008
Nancy wrote:
Very well put!
Catherine the Great

Oviedo, FL

#4 Sep 14, 2008
And I'll add something else to Nancy's comment. The State and Federal governments need to stop allowing these people to build right back up where the storm destroyed their buildings. They need to offer these people a "buy-out", clear it off and let nature reclaim the land. Nobody should have been building on these wind swept, flood prone properties in the first place and to pour billions of our tax payer money into them again to just "set up the pins" for the next bowling ball to roll down the alley is insanity. You know, after you've smashed your thumb with the hammer once, or run a hand through the circular saw once, you are supposed to learn something from it and not repeat it annually?????
margraves robert

United States

#5 Sep 14, 2008
HELLO iam from ann arbor mich i will be comming their soon to work clean up. also re build the city where can i stay at; are the people their friendly and good hearted. i want to work 12 hrs aday. e mail me back at margraveshistoricconstruction@ yahoo.com thanks God bless all their;
Nancy wrote:
Whiskeyman

Niceville, FL

#6 Sep 14, 2008
Catherine the Great wrote:
The State and Federal governments need to stop allowing these people to build right back up where the storm destroyed their buildings. They need to offer these people a "buy-out", clear it off and let nature reclaim the land.
Are you going to do that everywhere there is catastrophe or the potential for it?

There won't be many places left to live in the United States... Surely, you aren't just limiting it to where there is the possibility of a hurrricane, and leaving out fire, earthquakes, flooding, and so forth?

What if these people don't want to be bought out? I'm not saying the government should buy them out. In fact, I think that the government shouldn't do so.

Caveat emptor!
robert michigan

United States

#7 Sep 14, 2008
i want to work asap; but i will need a place to stay; thanks
robert michigan

United States

#8 Sep 14, 2008
I feel very bad for all people their that got hit by hurricane IKE i want to work lots of hrs cleaning and re build the city; e mail me back thanks
robert michigan

United States

#9 Sep 14, 2008
your right i like your re marks the gover ment needs to get off their fat asses; and help the american people we do pay taxes all the money going to IRAQ those people hate our GUTS wake up people. its our time to make CHANGE ROBERT FROM ANN ARBOR MICH
Catherine the Great wrote:
And I'll add something else to Nancy's comment. The State and Federal governments need to stop allowing these people to build right back up where the storm destroyed their buildings. They need to offer these people a "buy-out", clear it off and let nature reclaim the land. Nobody should have been building on these wind swept, flood prone properties in the first place and to pour billions of our tax payer money into them again to just "set up the pins" for the next bowling ball to roll down the alley is insanity. You know, after you've smashed your thumb with the hammer once, or run a hand through the circular saw once, you are supposed to learn something from it and not repeat it annually?????
baw730

Vidor, TX

#10 Sep 28, 2008
The people in Bridge City are the greatest you'll ever meet. Loving and friendly. They need everyone's love & help. I've lived here for 35 years and this is the 1st flood or hurricane to do this destruction. If you move people from everywhere hurricanes can strike, there'd be no more beach communities. Instead of your criticism of these people, try praying for them and have some compassion for what they're going through.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orange County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vidor teacher arrested after deputies find meth... Dec '15 Vee 1
Judge Pat Clark's corrupt handling of the Danie... (Mar '14) Feb '15 DON MEEHAN 14
Veteran Orange County Judge Carl Thibodeaux Cel... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Don Meehan 1
News Fatality Victims Identified (Sep '09) Jan '15 heaven is real 2
News Vidor clerks indicted for selling bath salts, s... (Jun '12) Jan '15 heaven is real 2
News Police bust an active meth lab in Vidor (Oct '10) Oct '14 tobie 9
News Argument Between 2 Texas Women Ends In Deadly S... (Jul '14) Jul '14 judyth culp 1
More from around the web