Crossing gates being installed at pop...

Crossing gates being installed at popular La Grange intersection

There are 11 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Jan 31, 2010, titled Crossing gates being installed at popular La Grange intersection. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

La Grange Mayor Elsie Carter said she expects new crossing gates to be working at the intersection of Second and Main streets next week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Barbara

Lexington, KY

#1 Feb 13, 2010
Mayor Carter does not get enough credit she and maybe two other council members knew that they could get them installed before time ran out, but a majority of the council members would not budge in helping all they knew was to say they were gonna close the street, folks Council members need to get off their behinds and start doing what they were elected for, their council meetings are worse then an elementary school debate, such hate and no concern for the community except for self indulgence is ridiculous.

I was told by a female council member who I had never met before and after she woke up for break that she makes decisions by what she thinks is best no what her voters think, I about fell out. Sad thing is I can not vote for any of them but people in LaGrange need to she what is happening!
Monica

New Port Richey, FL

#2 Feb 14, 2010
I once lived in Lagrange and I am glad that someone else besides me can see the facts. The facts being Council members as well as others with authority are only out for their titles only, not for the people they represent. I have neveer regretted moving from that small town.
Bob

Frankfort, KY

#3 Mar 5, 2010
If Mayor Carter was as diligent about getting these gates up 5 years ago as she is now, then they would have been installed much cheaper. The fact is she did nothing but sit on her behind and hoped this problem would just go away. Members of the City Council had to step up and force her to act. The conclusion...they are being installed at a cost of more than $200,000. The only reason Mayor Carter acted is because this is an election year and she knows how unpopular she is, so she is grasping at anything she can in hopes to get re-elected. The people of LaGrange are not stupid and will see through her charade. The gig is up Elsie!
Mr Green

Clarksville, TN

#4 Mar 8, 2010
YAY Elsie !!!! even more money thrown away. Maybe we could get some more of those awesome traffic dividers down the center of HWY 53, that would be fantastic !!!! So can we look forward to seeing Elsie riding around downtown on her NON D.O.T. approved golf cart this summer ?
Barbara

Lexington, KY

#5 Mar 12, 2010
Monica wrote:
I once lived in Lagrange and I am glad that someone else besides me can see the facts. The facts being Council members as well as others with authority are only out for their titles only, not for the people they represent. I have neveer regretted moving from that small town.
I can see what you are saying have been to Council meeting, it is worse then a HS debate team, I have seen that some council members could care less what their constituents want as long as they get what they want and sad thing is they get paid wether they attend meeting or not what is that all about!
Barbara

Lexington, KY

#6 Mar 12, 2010
Bob wrote:
If Mayor Carter was as diligent about getting these gates up 5 years ago as she is now, then they would have been installed much cheaper. The fact is she did nothing but sit on her behind and hoped this problem would just go away. Members of the City Council had to step up and force her to act. The conclusion...they are being installed at a cost of more than $200,000. The only reason Mayor Carter acted is because this is an election year and she knows how unpopular she is, so she is grasping at anything she can in hopes to get re-elected. The people of LaGrange are not stupid and will see through her charade. The gig is up Elsie!
Where do you get those quotes, please tell me where I can find that amount spent, the council wanted the road closed and did everything in their power to have the gates closed last year, they did not even attempt to try to get all this moving forward I watched the council meeting and noticed that the majority didn't want 2nd street open they could have cared less. Including one member who was in elevator with me who stated, I don't care what people think I do what I think is best. I did not even know this woman.
Dee

Lexington, KY

#7 Mar 13, 2010
Bob wrote:
If Mayor Carter was as diligent about getting these gates up 5 years ago as she is now, then they would have been installed much cheaper. The fact is she did nothing but sit on her behind and hoped this problem would just go away. Members of the City Council had to step up and force her to act. The conclusion...they are being installed at a cost of more than $200,000. The only reason Mayor Carter acted is because this is an election year and she knows how unpopular she is, so she is grasping at anything she can in hopes to get re-elected. The people of LaGrange are not stupid and will see through her charade. The gig is up Elsie!
There was no money 5 years ago for the gates. Elsie got a grant to pay for these gates. She has been working on keeping the quiet zone for the past 7 years. Please do not make comments about something that you know nothing about. Elsie works herself to death for poverty wages.
Dee

Lexington, KY

#8 Mar 13, 2010
Elsie has worked on the quiet zone for 7 years. If she had not had contacts in Frankfort, this would never have happened. The Council was hell bent on closing this crossing. Now the horns will be silent in our City. Elsie, you go girl.
Bob Cobb

Clarksville, TN

#9 Mar 20, 2010
Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no money 5 years ago for the gates. Elsie got a grant to pay for these gates. She has been working on keeping the quiet zone for the past 7 years. Please do not make comments about something that you know nothing about. Elsie works herself to death for poverty wages.
Elsie has never written a gran in her life, she did squat, just took credit for other peoples work.
Bob

Frankfort, KY

#10 Mar 26, 2010
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get those quotes, please tell me where I can find that amount spent, the council wanted the road closed and did everything in their power to have the gates closed last year, they did not even attempt to try to get all this moving forward I watched the council meeting and noticed that the majority didn't want 2nd street open they could have cared less. Including one member who was in elevator with me who stated, I don't care what people think I do what I think is best. I did not even know this woman.
Well if you knew so much about council meetings you would have heard the base costs was going to be $178,000 plus overtime. By the way, the council members did NOT want to close the street, but officials with CSX were telling them that the only option of keeping the quiet zone status was to close the street. Efforts from people like John Black and Ernie Harris is what prompted the Kentucky Department of Transportation to get involved and help move the installation of the gates along. Elsie just took credit for their hard work.
Bill

Dry Ridge, KY

#11 Mar 31, 2010
Time to vote out the council members and Elsie. All but a few are completely worthless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oldham County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman abducted from parking lot, forced to with... Mar '16 Queen troll 3
Oldham County Music Thread (Jun '14) Jan '16 Musikologist 4
When is Dennis diebel gona give up the mayors s... Jan '16 Ms Dossey 1
New County Jail is a "White Elephant" being pus... (Aug '12) Jan '16 Thanks a lot 5
Becky Johnson in trouble again..... Honestly wi... Dec '15 KCB 2
Will wells (Jun '15) Oct '15 Robert 3
Oldham county schools (Oct '15) Oct '15 Robert 1
More from around the web