Authorities: 2 deputies die after bei...

Authorities: 2 deputies die after being shot by suspect who was...

There are 23 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 25, 2009, titled Authorities: 2 deputies die after being shot by suspect who was.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Authorities say two north Florida sheriff's deputies died after they were shot by a suspect who was later killed by other deputies.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James

West Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 25, 2009
Rest in Peace officers. Oh and by the way, you didn't have to end the story with the Morris information. What does that have to do with these mens lives being taken in the line of duty.
Adrian Freeman

Avon, IN

#3 Apr 25, 2009
I am very sorry for those who will more the two deputies. Law Enforcement protect us and are willing to give their life for us. I pray for their families.
ASR

Tinley Park, IL

#4 Apr 25, 2009
My deepest condolences to the families for their loss.
Shorty

Crawfordville, FL

#6 Apr 26, 2009
I was only minutes behind all this on my way to work today, thank God. I had no idea that was why cars were flying by me on Hwy 90 going into Defuniak. Was very scary. Prayers to families of the police men killed.
Fellow Officer

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Apr 26, 2009
First and most important, Rest In Peace brothers.
The title to this story is a horrible choice, the scumbag was shot and later died because of his actions to get into another gunfight with the police. The scumbag was not "slain" he was shot because he was shooting at officers. The media loves to make Police look like the bad guys, but these two Deputies lost their lives doing their jobs and their wives and children lost them also. Out of the respect of the officers why doesn't the media show how these men are heros.

“Democrats Are DANGEROUS!!!”

Since: Oct 07

South Florida

#8 Apr 26, 2009
Without excusing the shooter, why did the LEO's decide to confront him at the range when he had a loaded weapon in hand? Why not wait until he's in his car and make traffice stop, for example - it might still have been dangerous, but it wouldn't have given the bad guy all the advantages he had with a loaded gun in hand.

Just wondering if maybe there's something that didn't get reported, or if it was careless policework.
Hmmm

Hollywood, FL

#9 Apr 26, 2009
Fellow Officer wrote:
First and most important, Rest In Peace brothers.
The title to this story is a horrible choice, the **** was shot and later died because of his actions to get into another gunfight with the police. The **** was not "slain" he was shot because he was shooting at officers. The media loves to make Police look like the bad guys, but these two Deputies lost their lives doing their jobs and their wives and children lost them also. Out of the respect of the officers why doesn't the media show how these men are heros.
I now truly believe the press deliberately has made their job harder and more dangerous by the slant of their articles which result in nothing more than a disservice to the public and the taxpayers glad to pay a policeman's salary. The question is why do they do it?

RIP officers.
ANGIE

United States

#10 Apr 26, 2009
I was at sacred Heart when all of this took place, it was truely heart breaking, i cried!

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#11 Apr 26, 2009
Two cops approach a man (suspected of domestic violence) and one of them SHOULD have a gun in hand pointed towards the ground. When or if the suspect places his shotgun on a table or in a rifle rack then you can assume some civility. Be careful who you trust.

Especially female cops ! Draw your gun ! Better them than more gun control laws.

MondayMorningQuarterback
Wally

Mansfield Center, CT

#12 Apr 26, 2009
Sounds like the two officers should have backed off, until he was off the range, but we obviously know more now, than they did at the time. With the domestic battery charge from last November, I'll bet there was a restraining order against him, and he and the wife shouldn't have been anywhere near each other. Victims who encourage or permit contact, despite a court order disallowing that contact, are complicit and should be held accountable for the problems that follow.
Hmmm

Hollywood, FL

#13 Apr 26, 2009
Wally wrote:
Sounds like the two officers should have backed off, until he was off the range, but we obviously know more now, than they did at the time. With the domestic battery charge from last November, I'll bet there was a restraining order against him, and he and the wife shouldn't have been anywhere near each other. Victims who encourage or permit contact, despite a court order disallowing that contact, are complicit and should be held accountable for the problems that follow.
You know you are right. So many restraining orders are broken by the one who filed for it. They file in the heat of anger and in two days the perp is back in her bed. She should be held responsible too if she invited him.
Hmmm

Hollywood, FL

#14 Apr 26, 2009
Wally wrote:
I know a woman right now where the court placed the order and they don't pay any attention to it. When she gets put in the hospital or killed it will be her fault. Or when her kids get hurt or killed.
Uh Oh

Stuart, FL

#15 Apr 26, 2009
What a waste of two officers. Can't imagine that they did not have their weapons drawn when they are trying to arrest this maniac at a gun range. At what point do you know he would have been armed? Well these two heroes peers deserve better training at their respective offices so that this never happens again.
Turnip Truck Driver

Tibbie, AL

#16 Apr 26, 2009
Right Wing Conspirator wrote:
Without excusing the shooter, why did the LEO's decide to confront him at the range when he had a loaded weapon in hand? Why not wait until he's in his car and make traffice stop, for example - it might still have been dangerous, but it wouldn't have given the bad guy all the advantages he had with a loaded gun in hand.
Just wondering if maybe there's something that didn't get reported, or if it was careless policework.
I would like to know about your extensive training in the field of law enforcement, what certificates you hold, and how long you have been performing the job?
The reason I ask is that every single day there are thousands upon thousands of surgeries performed and perhaps you could stand next to the surgeon and critique their techniques.
Now, clearly, there are difference between law enforcement and surgeons, but the message is the same. Don't assume that because you've watched CSI: Miami, Hill Street Blues, Life, old reruns of Barney Miller and a few other police oriented programs, you are in any position to critique crisis situations that the in-real-life law enforcement officers encounter pretty much every day.
It is very easy to park your rumpus in an armchair and review decisions made by law enforcement based solely on what is written in a newspaper.
Taxpayer

United States

#17 Apr 26, 2009
The cops can't win.

The woman was being assaulted at the range. Had the cops waited, it could have turned into another Columbine. If the woman was just injured, she could sue the department. If he left the scene and killed someone else, they could sue the department.

Had the cops drawn their weapons and approached the guy, they would have been potrayed as looking for a fight.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Cops know exactly what needs to be done to reduce crime, it's the lawyers that keep it from happening.
Uh Oh wrote:
What a waste of two officers. Can't imagine that they did not have their weapons drawn when they are trying to arrest this maniac at a gun range. At what point do you know he would have been armed? Well these two heroes peers deserve better training at their respective offices so that this never happens again.
TCB

United States

#18 Apr 26, 2009
Not to make an excuse for the killer, but It does seem like the deputys made a fatal mistake, in trying to make an arrest, in a shooting range. They could have waited till he was outside and didn't have a gun in hand.
Jerry

Chicago, IL

#19 Apr 26, 2009
RIP

“Democrats Are DANGEROUS!!!”

Since: Oct 07

South Florida

#20 Apr 26, 2009
Turnip Truck Driver wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to know about your extensive training in the field of law enforcement, what certificates you hold, and how long you have been performing the job?
The reason I ask is that every single day there are thousands upon thousands of surgeries performed and perhaps you could stand next to the surgeon and critique their techniques.
Now, clearly, there are difference between law enforcement and surgeons, but the message is the same. Don't assume that because you've watched CSI: Miami, Hill Street Blues, Life, old reruns of Barney Miller and a few other police oriented programs, you are in any position to critique crisis situations that the in-real-life law enforcement officers encounter pretty much every day.
It is very easy to park your rumpus in an armchair and review decisions made by law enforcement based solely on what is written in a newspaper.
Welcome to the Obama age - when anyone who asks a question is challenged and denigrated.

I make no diss to law enforcement. I have the utmost respect for the men and women who put their lives on the line.

However, it is foolish to think that just because someone wears a badge, they are omnipotent. It is an unfortunate fact of life that professionals do overlook common sense from time to time - even law enforcement professionals.

Fools repeat the same mistakes over and over - the rest of us learn, preferably by watching someone else's mistakes.
liner

Bronx, NY

#21 Apr 27, 2009
Right Wing Conspirator wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to the Obama age - when anyone who asks a question is challenged and denigrated.
I make no diss to law enforcement. I have the utmost respect for the men and women who put their lives on the line.
However, it is foolish to think that just because someone wears a badge, they are omnipotent. It is an unfortunate fact of life that professionals do overlook common sense from time to time - even law enforcement professionals.
Fools repeat the same mistakes over and over - the rest of us learn, preferably by watching someone else's mistakes.
Sorry pal, but you lose all credibility with the "Obama age" crack. Generally, people who make remarks totally unrelated to the discussion at hand, do so because they feel their position is weak and are unsure how to defend their argument.
Shamus

Oswego, IL

#22 Apr 27, 2009
Domestic violence -- one of the most dangerous calls cops respond to. I pray for the officers who died and their families. That said, please learn from this incident and recognize that responding to ANY DV can cost another officer their lives if they are not ready to respond. The officer not using the taser should have had his weapon drawn and pointed toward the assailant in case deadly force was necessary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Okaloosa County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Truck driver spills 60,000 pounds of beer on I-... Mar '18 wichita-rick 3
News Panera Bread to replace TGI Friday's in Destin Nov '17 Lucy and Ethyl 1
News Day 44 of Operation Shady Lane ringleader on th... (Sep '17) Sep '17 Duane 1
News Seven-week-old baby found dead after being left... (Aug '17) Aug '17 IWILLALWAYSHATEYOU 1
News Self-described drug dealer turns himself in -- ... (Jul '17) Jul '17 wichita-rick 2
brush clearing contractor (Jun '17) Jun '17 slowjeep 1
anybody know kirt "the pedo....."karle? (May '17) May '17 plumbking 2