County Avoids Raising Property Taxes

County Avoids Raising Property Taxes

There are 18 comments on the WFMZ story from Dec 11, 2009, titled County Avoids Raising Property Taxes. In it, WFMZ reports that:

Northampton County residents won't need to dig deeper in their wallets this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

jones

AOL

#1 Dec 11, 2009
This won't be anywhere near what's coming to the taxpayer from Saucon Valley School District.

psers wants 1.1 billion next year so it can pay retirees 5 billion in annual pensions. Teachers now pay 4.78 % and to fund anywhere near for their fellow teachers on early pension it should be increased to 75%.

Action is on the books for the teachers to pay 8% next year and unload the rest on the taxpayer. If you think the greedy pigs at SV are even going to take a 4% increase in their contributions you better get to the meeting.

While everyone else is being cut back the PA school teachers want the taxpayer to beef up and double their school tax to fund their underfunded pension.

Get ####### bent !
jones

AOL

#2 Dec 11, 2009
Here is what the psers fund was at June 30th. 43 billion, down from 63 billion a year ago. As the fund gets lower these greedy pigs will be suckling at the public trough like the hungy pigs they are.
jones

AOL

#3 Dec 12, 2009
The Main thing the psea is worried about is that the state and school districts keep their promise of a secure retirement for employees who have been paying into the system and have earned the benefit ?

You're kidding, the pension fund is in such bad shape because the people that want to keep the benefits going never paid in anything near to what they will be drawing out of in the next few years when the amount of teachers on pension will be greater than working teachers working.

Fuzzy math and greed from educators?

When you're broke you can file for bankruptcy, take a cut in pay and let the federal government take it over instead of laying all your F-ups on the taxpayer.
John

Whitehall, PA

#4 Dec 12, 2009
I am not getting near you on this one.
MONEY MANAGEMENT

Bath, PA

#5 Dec 12, 2009
MAYBE THE COUNTY OUGHT TO GET RID OF THE UNIONIZED LABOR THAT COSTS THE TAXPAYERS TO MUCH TO START WITH. PERHAPS HIRE POEPLE WHO WANT TO WORK INSTEAD OF THE OVERPAID/UNDERACHIEVED BUNCH THEY HAVE INCLUDING THE POLITICIANS.
jones

AOL

#6 Dec 12, 2009
John wrote:
I am not getting near you on this one.
I can't say I blame you. It's right from the State house committee to an educator representing psea and trying to explain how throwing more billions after education is going to make anyone happier or smarter.

We're broke, the state's broke and more money isn't going to solve it. They have to do something to keep psers solvent and there isn't enough money around to do it. The meeting ended with more questions and a lot unanswered . Not to be too critical but the teachers pay property tax also . It just isn't enough to fund the retirees pensions.

When times were good , money was never a question and the psers fund was allowed to build to a point where the psea was allowed to contribute minimal , as there was soo much money in the fund it could never go broke. Do you have even a slight answer to what will happen in the future?
John

Whitehall, PA

#7 Dec 13, 2009
Jones:

I do not have an answer to what might happen. However, if you look at today's news, a spending bill is going through the Senate that is 12% higher than last year. It includes new taxes and earmarks for some rediculous topics. However, it will pass and Washington does not care about spending or taxing during a recession. The people in Congress are suppose to be our brightest and best people but they do some really dumb things. The largest threat to this country is not the terrosits or nuclear weapons, it is the fear that if countries start asking the US for repayment of debts, we are dead. It will crush the economy and all of us within the US.

As far as PSERS, they need to come up with an alternative plan of funding the retirement system. Higher costs paid by the members should be a part of it. The law is the law and since program has been established for years, but we need to come up with an alternative program and change the current system.
jones

AOL

#8 Dec 13, 2009
Thank you, the problem isn't only the teachers or psers. I sort of understand how we've become a country in debt to everyone but I can't blame one single thing on it.

All I know is I've vacationed in canada more times than the USA, less people, more friendly, less crime and I've seen our dollar fluctuate from $.17 to $.50 and it is now at .97 on a dollar ? We seem to be going backwards and I hope the mess can soon be straightened out .
jones

AOL

#9 Dec 13, 2009
Sometimes the only laugh I get all day is Glenn Beck and the polar bears falling all over NY city.

I could almost laugh at the Global warming theme if the government wasn't still funding it, like Acorn which is another bad money move.
jones

AOL

#10 Dec 14, 2009
So, the SV teachers sign the contract with retroactive pay to the end of their last contract. Aug of 2008.
Meanwhile they set up a meeting for wednesday night to explain to the taxpayers and senior citizens how they are getting screwed over by a group of union bullys that should be replaced with laws that protect the taxpayer, not screw over them.
jones

AOL

#11 Dec 14, 2009
Just like the teachers are promised a retirement that by law can't be fiddled with we are now faced with a crisis in Medicare and Social security benefits that have been promised by the federal government to the seniors and the ever expanding baby boomer retirees .

Of course they start by tinkering around the edges and tell the seniors there will be no SS COLA increase in the next two years.

Right now we have a collapsing dollar worldwide, which will increase the cost of everything we import , massive inflation and double digit interest rates are just around the corner.

They next whack we get from a fall in the stock market will force the Federal Government to start axing all government benefits.

Except the SV teachers, "they have a contract that can't be changed by lowering their pay or be forced to fund their own pension"

To think they have the balls to look at the taxpayer with that, you owe it to us for doing a super job in educating your kids. Give me a break, we rank lower than half of all "57" states.

John

Whitehall, PA

#12 Dec 15, 2009
jones wrote:
So, the SV teachers sign the contract with retroactive pay to the end of their last contract. Aug of 2008.
Meanwhile they set up a meeting for wednesday night to explain to the taxpayers and senior citizens how they are getting screwed over by a group of union bullys that should be replaced with laws that protect the taxpayer, not screw over them.
It was never a question in my mind that the pay would be retroactive. That is why they went back to work while negotiations went on during the past year. A year is a year and it cannot be omitted in contract negotiations. Again, unless a better solution for contracts is established, it will continue and continue. Conrad Weiser is on the agenda as well as several other LV districts. It has been this way for years and I do not see how this will end without some for of legislation. In another year, if you ask someone to tell you the last district to go on strike, people won't even remmeber. For instance, other than Saucon Valley, name the last strike in the area. I guess if I go into the Morning call archives, I will find one but I just cannot think of the last one. The Saucon strike will be longer remembered because I was on these posts, the Pig Lady, the restauranteur who will not serve the teachers but raised his prices and is doing very well and never came back onto these posts. I will remember the hatred that was spewed and the comments made about a group of people who work with the youth. I guess it is part political (unions and the GOP) and part democracy that allows criticism and for people to air their strong feelings.
jones

AOL

#13 Dec 15, 2009
This contract should be tantamount to hate crimes against the taxpaying public of Saucon Valley.

That being said the article in the morning call about Lou Denaples written by Matt Birkbeck has been removed from the MC site.

That also being said, and thanks to the internet from keeping everthing somewhere in cyber space I was able to find it in the Chicago Tribune.

Here's the heading of the lost article by Matt Birbeck .

Dec. 15,2009 Chicagotribune.com
Federal Banking regulators outline case against DeNaples

Federal banking regulators said they had no choice but to bar Louis DeNaples from returning to his Scranton-area bank after he was "prosecuted for failing under oath, to disclose his association with organized crime figures" according to a legal brief filed Friday in federal court.

A perjury charge ,said the OCC,is a "crime that involves dishonesty or breach of trust." The Occ said it is required to prohibit anyone who has been convicted of a criminal offense or anyone who has agreed to "enter into a pretrial diversion or similar program" from "working for , owning or controlling "a national bank."
Unbelievable

Nazareth, PA

#14 Dec 15, 2009
jones-

it seems everyone is against YOU. Very sad. You're missing out on much that's still good about life.

Maybe Obama can make it all better for you. Hope so.
jones

AOL

#15 Dec 15, 2009
Unbelievable wrote:
jones-
it seems everyone is against YOU. Very sad. You're missing out on much that's still good about life.
They are and I'm not . He won't ! I have better friends in jail .
You sound like you could use a good rocking .
jones

AOL

#16 Dec 15, 2009
Unbelievable wrote:
jones-
A DeNaples wanna be or are you against all the cleaning out of the state crooks that are using our money . Maybe you're a Boozer fan of Boscola , Brown fame who can spend the money from gambling that hasn't been found yet.
jones

AOL

#17 Dec 17, 2009
Ag Corbett still has a grand jury investigating how some slot licenses were handed out.

The gaming Control Board hired two lawyers for $500 and $295 an hour for damage control.

Sources said the gaming board changed DeNaples report at least six times during his vetting process removing damaging information brfore awarding DeNaples his license.

It is unbelievable how I find these things and make it seem like everyone is against me. Tough, if you don't want to read my posts go back and read your psea Nazi handbook.
jones

AOL

#18 Dec 17, 2009
John wrote:
Jones:
I do not have an answer to what might happen. However, if you look at today's news, a spending bill is going through the Senate that is 12% higher than last year. It includes new taxes and earmarks for some rediculous topics. However, it will pass and Washington does not care about spending or taxing during a recession. The people in Congress are suppose to be our brightest and best people but they do some really dumb things. The largest threat to this country is not the terrosits or nuclear weapons, it is the fear that if countries start asking the US for repayment of debts, we are dead. It will crush the economy and all of us within the US.
As far as PSERS, they need to come up with an alternative plan of funding the retirement system. Higher costs paid by the members should be a part of it. The law is the law and since program has been established for years, but we need to come up with an alternative program and change the current system.
I sort of have an answer for you about the psers funding. The psea representatives won't do anything about the cash cow that was voted into law by the same legislators that now say to the psea reps, "If all you can come up with is we need more money", then I have to say to you, "we were hired to take care of problems like this and we'll do it for you"

I didn't have my bullschitte ear protectors on at the time but nothing will come out of that statement but more taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northampton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Coonahan Caught in Own Omissions ( Federa... (Feb '11) Jun 13 Nameless2 9
News Power plant seeks permission to send more lead ... Apr '15 Shwinchester1247 1
News Titanic family had ties to the Lehigh Valley Apr '15 Ahab 1
News Jury finds Bethlehem firetruck driver not liabl... Mar '15 Richard Kranium 1
News Morganelli asks Northampton County officials fo... (Jun '09) Dec '14 Gatsby 28
News Police: Elderly woman dies week after murder-su... (Nov '14) Nov '14 silly rabbit 1
News Michael Ballard seeks delay of his execution, c... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Shawna 1
More from around the web