Wider use of methadone to ease pain is proving deadly

Full story: The Morning Call

The one girl's death was another example of a growing national problem in which methadone's transition from detox drug to pain reliever has put it in the hands of people who don't understand its effects.
Comments
141 - 160 of 180 Comments Last updated Aug 30, 2011

“GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!”

Since: Apr 08

Still there......

#146 May 15, 2008
HARMD-VP wrote:
Hyperalgesia is an increased sensitivity to pain, which may be caused by damage to nociceptors or peripheral nerves.
For those of you that didnt know what this was, Missy Melissa has to come and throw big words around then disappears. I remember back in the day Mel when it was just me and you on this board taking on all these pro-mmter's. They called us the M&M's. We have moved on to bigger and better names now.(oh, i know that's not all they called us) I love you, Mary
There is also opioid-induced hyperalgesia Mary, which is an increased sensitivity to pain due to "tolerance" for lack of a better term. It's still being studied, but that's why when some people get off of methadone or another opioid, their pain seems to lessen or go away as well.

Since: May 08

Rock Port, MO

#147 May 16, 2008
Serenitys Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
ATTACKED????? You haven't been near attacked as we the family of deceased from diversion, etc. You make me sick. You haven't even been near the extent of ATTACK that I or others like me have. Get a grip.
Once again, speaking to people about what they know as if you know their lives story.

If you want to speak about making someone sick or disgusted, look at yourself.

What good or even purpose can be acheived by attemping to force your views on someone else or make them feel worse about their lives choices than they may already do.

I have lost people I love to addiction, other people's pain and torment are their own, not yours to judge.

I don't know your story and honestly could care less, but turning your issues into hostility towards other people is a pointless use of someones life. I have no doubt you could better serve your cause without trying to belittle others.

Anxiously awaiting your next attack.

Since: Dec 07

Wolfeboro, NH

#149 May 16, 2008
LivnLearn wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, speaking to people about what they know as if you know their lives story.
If you want to speak about making someone sick or disgusted, look at yourself.
What good or even purpose can be acheived by attemping to force your views on someone else or make them feel worse about their lives choices than they may already do.
I have lost people I love to addiction, other people's pain and torment are their own, not yours to judge.
I don't know your story and honestly could care less, but turning your issues into hostility towards other people is a pointless use of someones life. I have no doubt you could better serve your cause without trying to belittle others.
Anxiously awaiting your next attack.
Oh, sorry to keep waiting, I forgot totally that you existed.

If you don't want to be attacked, shut up. Very simple and straught to the point.

You're an addict, that is that.

I will further my cause in the way I see fit not the way you see fit.

Do not tell me not to judge, I will judge as I have been judged here.

Do not EVER tell me that something I chose to do is a pointless use of my life, I do not do drugs, I do not participate in illegal activities, I am a wonderful mother....this to me constitutes a ver full and gratifying life. You, however are an addict. This constitutes loss of freedom, devoid of all feeling and dependence on your precious methadone for life. Just becareful now, you may be our next OD.

Wolfeboro, NH

#150 May 16, 2008
For the typo police, there are typos in the above post.

“GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!”

Still there......

#151 May 16, 2008
Serenitys Angel wrote:
For the typo police, there are typos in the above post.
LMFAO!!

Wolfeboro, NH

#152 May 16, 2008
sliverone wrote:
<quoted text>
Another self-righteous hypocrit to respond to that which they know little or nothing of!!! What does it matter to you what we anti-methadone people say or do? YOUR mind is set and will remain as is until you clear it of drugs period!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing more touching than a hypocrit in this world is a hypocrit addicted to methadone.

Ahahahahahaha.

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Since: Feb 08

Portsmouth

#153 May 16, 2008
Serenitys Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, sorry to keep waiting, I forgot totally that you existed.
If you don't want to be attacked, shut up. Very simple and straught to the point.
You're an addict, that is that.
I will further my cause in the way I see fit not the way you see fit.
Do not tell me not to judge, I will judge as I have been judged here.
Do not EVER tell me that something I chose to do is a pointless use of my life, I do not do drugs, I do not participate in illegal activities, I am a wonderful mother....this to me constitutes a ver full and gratifying life. You, however are an addict. This constitutes loss of freedom, devoid of all feeling and dependence on your precious methadone for life. Just becareful now, you may be our next OD.
These idiots have still not realized that there is a NEW SHERIFF in town and her name is Serenity!! I am merely a deputy, but mess with her and you will get all the guns...period!!!

Wolfeboro, NH

#154 May 16, 2008
sliverone wrote:
<quoted text>
These idiots have still not realized that there is a NEW SHERIFF in town and her name is Serenity!! I am merely a deputy, but mess with her and you will get all the guns...period!!!
LMAO!!!!!

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Portsmouth

#156 May 16, 2008
Ooops!! I forgot IMO...

Wolfeboro, NH

#157 May 16, 2008
sliverone wrote:
Ooops!! I forgot IMO...
LMAO, I certainly am here to stay, much to he chagrin, uh oh get the dictionary out, of the pro methadonians.

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Portsmouth

#158 May 16, 2008
Serenitys Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO, I certainly am here to stay, much to he chagrin, uh oh get the dictionary out, of the pro methadonians.
chagrin...loved it!!! I am sure they will have to get into some cobwebs to figure that one out....heeeheeee

Wolfeboro, NH

#159 May 16, 2008
sliverone wrote:
<quoted text>
chagrin...loved it!!! I am sure they will have to get into some cobwebs to figure that one out....heeeheeee
We must keep them on their toes with the big words.

I just PM'd you over at the good place.

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Portsmouth

#160 May 16, 2008
Serenitys Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
We must keep them on their toes with the big words.
I just PM'd you over at the good place.
Gotcha sista, and you have a couple from me over at our sanctuary as well....wink and hugggs!
Melissa

Chicago, IL

#161 May 16, 2008
Tim B wrote:
This is exactly what I am talking about! You are on a witch hunt and have not researched it. Your numbers are over exagerated and you use any death related to methadone (Like in article regarding pain management) to try to shut down the most effective treatment for opiod addiction. Methadone saves lives. Please get over your
issues.<quoted text>
Finally...Thank you!!! AMEN!!!!!

Wolfeboro, NH

#164 May 16, 2008
sliverone wrote:
<quoted text>
And it is so typical....we hear the whine of 'oh, you anti ppl just class all of us pros in the same pile'...if they only had a taste of what the majority have posted about our loved ones! Have you noticed how FEW of them are regulars? Day after day, they come in just to throw their crap around and preach pain relief, etc...but no rebuttal is allowed without "our" being classed all in the same witch hunting pile?
We "anti's" have been through a witch hunt that could not compare to theirs. It's only recently that the tables have been turned.
And anyone who has been on this forum for a while KNOWS this.
3 days left to live

Ocala, FL

#165 May 16, 2008
What would you do if you had 3 days left to live?

My litte sister didn't know she was going to die when she started methadone for pain management, but I know she would have spent EVERY SECOND with her sweet little 10 yr old son.
--Her birthday was yesteday.
--Her on took her flowers to her grave on Mother's day last weekend.
Methadone kills very quickly.
Methadone can kill good people with a good reason to take it, even responsible people with families.
Methadone does not care who, why, or where.

This has been a horrible week for our family and I don't want you to have to feel this pain. PLEASE find other options, even if it's more expensive, or you have to try many things.
Thanks for the post Melis11577.
Melis11577 wrote:
In 2005 Methadone is indicated in over 4600 deaths nationwide and this number is underestimated due to an error in ICD10 coding and non uniform procedures in reporting and determining causes of death. Methadone is killing more people than any other prescription drug, killing 2 people for every 100 exposed.
Methadone is now the #2 Killer Drug in the U.S. Methadone is more addictive then any other pain medication including heroin and because of it’s extremely long half life, cardio toxic risks, numerous fatal drug interactions, dosages based on tolerance, and small margin of error. Up until Nov 2006 the government and pharmaceutical companies have been suppressing the numerous health and fatality risks related to methadone.
there are between 800,000 & 900,000 (some stats give diff numbers) heroin addicts in the U.S and 1,881 people died from heroin in the U.S. in 2004.
there are 200,000 people on methadone for drug treatment and I don't have the number of people on it for pain but even if we double the 200,000 and assume it's 400,000 total people on methadone there were 3,849 deaths in 2004
It looks like the "gold standard" is killing more then the drug its supposed to save people from!!!!
Every day 10.9 people die from Methadone (according to 2004 stats, not
including car accident deaths caused by drivers under the influence of Methadone)
We (the families of methadone victims) are requesting new laws surrounding who can prescribe Methadone, clinic rules and regulations as well as stiffer penalties for those caught selling their take home doses. The whole methadone maintenance system needs an overhauling. We cannot continue to allow a legal medication to be killing more people then the illegal drugs. Our government cannot be allowed to use tax dollars to fund their legal drug dealing operations.
Current statistics show that nearly 4000 people a year die from methadone. These deaths are mostly happening to pain management and detoxification patients’ wit hi n the first 10 days of taking initial dose. Most of these deaths are related to methadone prescribed with other medications that react as additives with the methadone. Diversion of methadone is a serious problem because it lands t hi s most deadly drug on streets. Statistics also state that methadone is contributing to more deaths nationwide then heroin and only second to cocaine deaths.
The potential of abuse, diversion, and overdose to new patients being prescribed methadone is overwhelming. The unique properties of methadone, it's long half life, and it's negative interaction with numerous drugs make it an optimal choice as a last result treatment for chronic pain and addiction.
Helping America Reduce Methadone Deaths
www. HARMD. org

Since: Dec 06

New London, CT

#166 May 16, 2008
3 days left thank you for bringing some reality to the tradegies we all have faced

My Ron died on his 3rd day of Methadone being prescribed to him as well....he thought methadone was going to help him and couldn't wait to have his life back as the propaganda says. Instead he is dead those who love him will never see him again and his children will barely remember him as they grow up.

To me, Methadone just isn't worth...you don't know who will live and who will die. Russian Roulette disguised as a "medication that save lives"

I am so sorry for your loss, please know you and your family, especially her 10 year son are in my heart and prayers

Melissa

“GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!”

Still there......

#167 May 16, 2008
3 days left to live wrote:
What would you do if you had 3 days left to live?
My litte sister didn't know she was going to die when she started methadone for pain management, but I know she would have spent EVERY SECOND with her sweet little 10 yr old son.
--Her birthday was yesteday.
--Her on took her flowers to her grave on Mother's day last weekend.
Methadone kills very quickly.
Methadone can kill good people with a good reason to take it, even responsible people with families.
Methadone does not care who, why, or where.
This has been a horrible week for our family and I don't want you to have to feel this pain. PLEASE find other options, even if it's more expensive, or you have to try many things.
Thanks for the post Melis11577.
<quoted text>
My condolences to you and your family for your loss. Thank you for sharing and please continue to make this public.

Wolfeboro, NH

#168 May 16, 2008
3 days left to live,

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I am so saddened by your loss.

Know that my prayers are with you.

Wonderful post, I hope many take it to heart.

Melissa

Since: May 08

Rock Port, MO

#169 May 17, 2008
Serenitys Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we go, another idiot jumping on the bandwagon
Arguing is pointless, this is not a contest to see who can win, with their point of view. You have an opinion and you express it in the way you see fit. The point I was trying to get across to you is; people come here to learn, get advice and possibly make a difference, in a positive way, in someone elses life. Why, Why, Why do you feel it makes sense to add negativity to peoples lives. Does it serve a purpose to you? Do you feel that it is the only way to reach people? Honestly, I am trying to understand why people do this. I am not being sarcastic or trying to antagonize you in anyway.

I guess this is for anyone out there that feels like addressing people in a negative way is productive. I don't understand it. Life is hard enough, painful enough and stressful enough strictly on it own.

Give advice, state your peace,show compassion but for, "GOD'S SAKE" don't add to other people pain.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northampton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allentown mosquito sample tests positive for We... Aug 20 silly rabbit 3
Police: Man sells drugs to undercover informant Aug 13 silly rabbit 1
Northampton County and Allentown partner as 911... Aug 13 silly rabbit 1
Mazziotta leaving Northampton County post (Aug '08) Aug 13 MCT52 16
Woman accused of taking $100,000 from Bethlehem... Aug 8 silly rabbit 9
Woman convicted of embezzling from Bethlehem YM... Aug 8 silly rabbit 1
Body found in Lehigh River in Northampton County Jul '14 Slightly Perfect 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••