Wider use of methadone to ease pain is proving deadly

The one girl's death was another example of a growing national problem in which methadone's transition from detox drug to pain reliever has put it in the hands of people who don't understand its effects. Full Story

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Since: Feb 08

Portsmouth

#21 May 9, 2008
pain patient wrote:
Thank you Live and Learn for posting this.
I am in agreement with most ya'll on this thread. I take methadone for pain also and it has worked wonders for me. Anyone who has not been in chronic relentless pain will never have a clue as to what it feels like to be able to finally get relief and what it means to us to be able to have somewhat of a life again due to the pain relief methadone brings.
We are supposed to be compassionate and just give up our beliefs when someone dies of methadone irregardless of the circumstances. We are supposed to feel compassion when someone dies of an overdose but never to call them an addict but when someone suffering from addiction only has methadone as their last and only hope ..they are just a junkie and f*** em because methadone kills. And methadone should just be ripped from the market even tho it has helped well over 250,000 people +pain patients who are on it. It will continue to be used for addiction and it will be continued to be used for pain. Yes there are other alternatives for pain but why should I have to change my pain medication that works because someone didnt use good judgement and overdosed or a doctor who was not trained properly gave it to someone they shouldnt or started someone on a wrong dose. HOw is that our fault? Its NOT. I do wish doctors would get trained if they are to prescribe it and I wish diversion would stop as well becauase it might hurt my treatment someday. So instead of all this onesidedness people need to work together and make the drug safer for all w/out hurting the ones who already are on it and have complied with the rules at the clinics and making some poor patients have to be subjected to humiliating contracts etc when all they are looking for is pain relief.
Its a two way street here...folks. Methadone can and does save people's lives, but if its abused and not treated with respect and prescribed properly, methadone will take a life as well.
Unfortunately all drugs are double edged sword because they can kill and they can save at the same time.
"We (the families of methadone victims) are requesting new laws surrounding who can prescribe Methadone, clinic rules and regulations as well as stiffer penalties for those caught selling their take home doses. The whole methadone maintenance system needs an overhauling. We cannot continue to allow a legal medication to be killing more people then the illegal drugs. Our government cannot be allowed to use tax dollars to fund their legal drug dealing operations."

Tell me please, where in the above paragraph does it say we want to take away your methadone? Weeks ago, didn't we already get it established that if you were in compliance then you should have no worry?
MMTer

Monroe, MI

#22 May 9, 2008
The stiffer laws that you want enacted are that you want to do away with takehomes and that is not something that the pro people want to see happen. We don't want any more regulations against allowing us to live a 'normal' life.

I agree, for those who are not in compliance, there should be no takehomes...you see, the thing is...that already happens now...what do you propose to do that isn't already being done...
And I think the stiffer penalties ARE happening now because people are being tried and convicted for selling methadone and causing death. You yourself know that.

What should happen is that the Dr's who are prescribing it (because in all reality, that is when the problems with the deaths began)--the everyday Dr knows NOTHING about methadone and doesn't seem to want to know about it.
They should have to take a course like we do in Canada.
As far as the clinics go...there is already enough regulation there.

Since: Apr 08

Canada (mini USA)

#23 May 9, 2008
MMTer wrote:
The stiffer laws that you want enacted are that you want to do away with takehomes and that is not something that the pro people want to see happen. We don't want any more regulations against allowing us to live a 'normal' life.
I agree, for those who are not in compliance, there should be no takehomes...you see, the thing is...that already happens now...what do you propose to do that isn't already being done...
And I think the stiffer penalties ARE happening now because people are being tried and convicted for selling methadone and causing death. You yourself know that.
What should happen is that the Dr's who are prescribing it (because in all reality, that is when the problems with the deaths began)--the everyday Dr knows NOTHING about methadone and doesn't seem to want to know about it.
They should have to take a course like we do in Canada.
As far as the clinics go...there is already enough regulation there.
MMt'r....where r u in canada?

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Portsmouth

#24 May 9, 2008
MMter wrote---> "What should happen is that the Dr's who are prescribing it (because in all reality, that is when the problems with the deaths began)--the everyday Dr knows NOTHING about methadone and doesn't seem to want to know about it."

This however does not apply to those who were in facility and being treated that died nor does it reflect those who died while on maintenance and were prescibed dosages intolerable to them.

“METHADONE-Drug of Destruction”

Since: Jan 08

Winston Salem, NC

#25 May 9, 2008
MMTer, The 40 mg wafer is what the clinics can still use, along with the liquid. Pain patients cannot get the 40 mg anymore. I will hunt you up some info as I know Melissa is at work and will be working late or better yet just google it. Mary

Contact SAMHSA and ask them this question if you dont believe it.
MMTer

Monroe, MI

#26 May 9, 2008
I think you can agree with me that even though the clinics "can" use it...they don't use it very much, if at all.
Mainly the hospitals do.
I don't know of any clinics in Michigan or southern ontario that use the tablets anyways.
Harmd-VP

Winston Salem, NC

#27 May 9, 2008
MMTer wrote:
I think you can agree with me that even though the clinics "can" use it...they don't use it very much, if at all.
Mainly the hospitals do.
I don't know of any clinics in Michigan or southern ontario that use the tablets anyways.
From everything Ive heard, it is being used at many clinics, most patients have a choice. Mary

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Portsmouth

#28 May 9, 2008
Sarah-Sally wrote:
''Methadone is an important drug, a valuable treatment for narcotic withdrawal,"
And also a valuable treatment for pain. It is so sad that people with chronic pain, who are trying to continue working and live as contributing members to society, have so much increased difficulty in obtaining enough relief to allow them to do so because of the people who abuse it as a recreational drug.
Do some research babe~
Although diversion deaths contribute in part to the stats, there are also deaths while people are in facility as well as incorrect dosages to those in clinic.

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Portsmouth

#29 May 9, 2008
pain patient wrote:
It will continue to be used for addiction and it will be continued to be used for pain.
Sorry sweetie, not if HARMD has anything to do with it!!

"We (the families of methadone victims) are requesting new laws surrounding who can prescribe Methadone, clinic rules and regulations as well as stiffer penalties for those caught selling their take home doses. The whole methadone maintenance system needs an overhauling. We cannot continue to allow a legal medication to be killing more people then the illegal drugs. Our government cannot be allowed to use tax dollars to fund their legal drug dealing operations."
Tim B

Doylestown, PA

#30 May 10, 2008
Did you not read rhe article? It is MD's perscribing this medication not clinics! Please stop blaming methadone clinics for the loss of your loved ones, it was their actions that caused these tragic events and for you to heal you need to accept that fact. Methadone treatment centers save lives, by you trying to restrict them you will be causing more people to die by not accessing treatment.
Melis11577 wrote:
In 2005 Methadone is indicated in over 4600 deaths nationwide and this number is underestimated due to an error in ICD10 coding and non uniform procedures in reporting and determining causes of death. Methadone is killing more people than any other prescription drug, killing 2 people for every 100 exposed.
Methadone is now the #2 Killer Drug in the U.S. Methadone is more addictive then any other pain medication including heroin and because of it’s extremely long half life, cardio toxic risks, numerous fatal drug interactions, dosages based on tolerance, and small margin of error. Up until Nov 2006 the government and pharmaceutical companies have been suppressing the numerous health and fatality risks related to methadone.
there are between 800,000 & 900,000 (some stats give diff numbers) heroin addicts in the U.S and 1,881 people died from heroin in the U.S. in 2004.
there are 200,000 people on methadone for drug treatment and I don't have the number of people on it for pain but even if we double the 200,000 and assume it's 400,000 total people on methadone there were 3,849 deaths in 2004
It looks like the "gold standard" is killing more then the drug its supposed to save people from!!!!
Every day 10.9 people die from Methadone (according to 2004 stats, not
including car accident deaths caused by drivers under the influence of Methadone)
We (the families of methadone victims) are requesting new laws surrounding who can prescribe Methadone, clinic rules and regulations as well as stiffer penalties for those caught selling their take home doses. The whole methadone maintenance system needs an overhauling. We cannot continue to allow a legal medication to be killing more people then the illegal drugs. Our government cannot be allowed to use tax dollars to fund their legal drug dealing operations.
Current statistics show that nearly 4000 people a year die from methadone. These deaths are mostly happening to pain management and detoxification patients’ wit hi n the first 10 days of taking initial dose. Most of these deaths are related to methadone prescribed with other medications that react as additives with the methadone. Diversion of methadone is a serious problem because it lands t hi s most deadly drug on streets. Statistics also state that methadone is contributing to more deaths nationwide then heroin and only second to cocaine deaths.
The potential of abuse, diversion, and overdose to new patients being prescribed methadone is overwhelming. The unique properties of methadone, it's long half life, and it's negative interaction with numerous drugs make it an optimal choice as a last result treatment for chronic pain and addiction.
Helping America Reduce Methadone Deaths
www. HARMD. org
Tim B

Doylestown, PA

#31 May 10, 2008
This is exactly what I am talking about! You are on a witch hunt and have not researched it. Your numbers are over exagerated and you use any death related to methadone (Like in article regarding pain management) to try to shut down the most effective treatment for opiod addiction. Methadone saves lives. Please get over your issues.
sliverone wrote:
<quoted text>
dave

Arcadia, MI

#32 May 10, 2008
Im tell ya'll if your hook on any kind of opius such as herion,oxy cotin,vicodin, you best get help. You will lose your job,your car,your house then you will lose your family and friends. You can not beet this addiction.

For give my spelling
dave

Arcadia, MI

#33 May 10, 2008
By the way Methadone is not the answer, it is just another drug. you will get hooked on it and you will come down off it ad well as the opius drugs and let me tell ya you WILL become very sick either way.............

Since: Apr 08

Canada (mini USA)

#34 May 10, 2008
Hmm, funny ..I tapered with barely a twinge.

Thanks for sharing though.

cc
MMTer

Monroe, MI

#35 May 10, 2008
dave wrote:
By the way Methadone is not the answer, it is just another drug. you will get hooked on it and you will come down off it ad well as the opius drugs and let me tell ya you WILL become very sick either way..........
How about telling us what relationship you have to this life-saving medication?

Since: May 08

Rock Port, MO

#36 May 10, 2008
How will I know or find out if my need for Methadone is from the pain of my chronic daily headaches and migranes (due to head trama and verified by MRI) or if my need for Methadone is due to my 6+ year addiction to opiates.

I was started on Methadone while in the hospital detoxing from opiates, so far they have kept me on Methadone for pain management, as it is the only medication I have found that is effective without making me feel medicated.

I have tried many many non-narcotic (to many to list) migrane medications and they are not effective. Some even cause serious side effects.(seizures) My options are limited, medications that don't work or medication that I had an addiction to.

So, I guess I am asking for advice from people who have been there.

I would prefer not to hear the rants of the Anti-Methadone advocates unless you PERSONALLY (not the family/friends of). As the saying goes, my shoes have walked a road that you have not lived, and therefore can not judge or understand.

Thank you
Rick

United States

#37 May 10, 2008
Tim B wrote:
Did you not read rhe article? It is MD's perscribing this medication not clinics! Please stop blaming methadone clinics for the loss of your loved ones, it was their actions that caused these tragic events and for you to heal you need to accept that fact. Methadone treatment centers save lives, by you trying to restrict them you will be causing more people to die by not accessing treatment.<quoted text>
The MDs that perscribe methadone cause the probelm, not the clinics?
Don't the clinics need an MD to perscribe methadone?

“PAIN RELIEF IS A HUMAN RIGHT”

AOL

#38 May 10, 2008
sliverone wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me HARMD is running out of steam because its the same old argument over and over again. I have seen NOTHING happen in the 2 years. NOTHING. All I see is some videos from inner city clinics and a lot of babble and some billboards one which CAME DOWN. The only change that has been made is about the 40mgs tablets. Methadone will never be taken off Siilverone and if you believe it will...find something else to believe in. You are not even willing to work with people are you? Willing to even make it safe for all parties involved? You just want it gone.

Since: Dec 07

Wolfeboro, NH

#39 May 10, 2008
pain patient wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me HARMD is running out of steam because its the same old argument over and over again. I have seen NOTHING happen in the 2 years. NOTHING. All I see is some videos from inner city clinics and a lot of babble and some billboards one which CAME DOWN. The only change that has been made is about the 40mgs tablets. Methadone will never be taken off Siilverone and if you believe it will...find something else to believe in. You are not even willing to work with people are you? Willing to even make it safe for all parties involved? You just want it gone.
Ahahahahaha, too bad you have no access to some of our information, great strides have been made just recently. We are here to stay for the long haul.

Nothing has happened in 2 years? You must live under a huge rock.

“PAIN RELIEF IS A HUMAN RIGHT”

AOL

#40 May 10, 2008
LivnLearn wrote:
How will I know or find out if my need for Methadone is from the pain of my chronic daily headaches and migranes (due to head trama and verified by MRI) or if my need for Methadone is due to my 6+ year addiction to opiates.
I was started on Methadone while in the hospital detoxing from opiates, so far they have kept me on Methadone for pain management, as it is the only medication I have found that is effective without making me feel medicated.
I have tried many many non-narcotic (to many to list) migrane medications and they are not effective. Some even cause serious side effects.(seizures) My options are limited, medications that don't work or medication that I had an addiction to.
So, I guess I am asking for advice from people who have been there.
I would prefer not to hear the rants of the Anti-Methadone advocates unless you PERSONALLY (not the family/friends of). As the saying goes, my shoes have walked a road that you have not lived, and therefore can not judge or understand.
Thank you
I think its a combination of both LL. I think because you have an addiction to opiates Methadone is going ot be your best medication. It will control your addiction along with give you the pain releif you need for the migraines you suffer so badly from. Its a WIN WIN...dont try to analyze it is what I am saying. Now that you are getting relief on both ends and while you are, maybe you can try to find out what got you to the point of addiction. Maybe you can work on some psychological aspects now that your pain and addiction are under control. Just a thought. I am so glad your posting here. Its kind of nice to see someone else with pain issues and addiction issues at the same time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northampton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police: Ex-manager at Sands jewelry shop stole ... Sep 24 mslancelot 1
Allentown airport won't sell Braden Airpark Sep 23 silly rabbit 1
Allentown man charged with raping children, cou... Sep '14 silly rabbit 5
Allentown mosquito sample tests positive for We... Aug '14 silly rabbit 3
Police: Man sells drugs to undercover informant Aug '14 silly rabbit 1
Northampton County and Allentown partner as 911... Aug '14 silly rabbit 1
Mazziotta leaving Northampton County post (Aug '08) Aug '14 MCT52 16

Northampton County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE