Retail closings could usher in new st...

Retail closings could usher in new strategy

There are 1 comment on the Newport Daily News story from Mar 21, 2006, titled Retail closings could usher in new strategy. In it, Newport Daily News reports that:

The turnover at several retail locations - including the OfficeMax store on West Main Road in Middletown - is a typical marketplace transition but might indicate a need for a new approach to local retail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newport Daily News.

T Hennessey

Providence, RI

#1 Apr 17, 2006
Giving local residents the kind of stores we would like and not just accommodate the city/state officials and tourists. It would really be nice to have more of a selection. I would love to see a Kohl's or Target on this island. We have enough bars, restaurants and expensive stores! I am really getting tired of decision makers of this island only catering to the Tourism industry and themselves! Greed is already causing many people to chose not to live here(our young professionals and elderly) whom either see no possibility of attaining their American Dream, and the elderly and persons on fixed incomes that will lose their homes due to the constant increase in taxes. Pretty soon it won't matter what your appproach is, no one will be living here to serve the the marketplace. This island used to be a wonderful place to live, but now, I as a local person usually shop off the island or online because the choices are minimal or overpriced. I think all of this island needs to reconsider what middle-income really is. After paying the high taxes, rents, etc., who can afford anything more?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Second Coming Of Rock N' Roll - From Newpor... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Patrick Walker 1
News Newport County target further FA Cup progress (Oct '09) Oct '09 Marko 1
Rogeriee Thompson should not be a judge - she s... (May '09) May '09 Justice Seeker 1
More from around the web