Sea Cliffians Show Support for Local ...

Sea Cliffians Show Support for Local Deli

There are 70 comments on the Glen Cove Record Pilot story from Dec 12, 2008, titled Sea Cliffians Show Support for Local Deli. In it, Glen Cove Record Pilot reports that:

Many citizens attended the Sea Cliff Village Board meeting on Monday, Dec. 8 to show their support for Arata's Delicatessen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Glen Cove Record Pilot.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Joe Krupinski

New Canaan, CT

#1 Feb 25, 2009
Arata's Delicatessen in Sea Cliff has been without tables and chairs for almost a month now. Senior citizens come in to sit down and have breakfast or lunch and they have to walk out and look for another place to eat. Mothers with young children. The school bus drivers on Thursdays for their little get-together. The postman Bill must now eat on the run instead of taking a 15-minute sitdown break. Meanwhile, the fat cats in village hall (and they know who they are)continue to give Arata's a hard time, saying the deli must go for a restaurant permit. The septic tank has been inspected and cleaned, the health department will hopefully give its clearance in writing and then it's up to the building department to end this nonsense once and for all. The situation is only hurting the residents and taxpayers of Sea Cliff, cheating them of spending time in the heartbeat of the village, which Arata's is. Enough already!
Polly Graff

New Canaan, CT

#2 Mar 3, 2009
Mayoral candidate Joe Krupinski has been a champion for tables and chairs in Arata's for the people of Sea Cliff, not the owner who has his dissidents. Residents and visitors should have a place to sit down and have breakfast or lunch instead of having to carry it out to eat in their car or on the run or back at home. What used to be a bustling place for friends to meet and sit has become a shadow of itself. The young mothers with children, senior citizens and blue-collar guys have no place to rest and socialize any more. The Village building department should shape up and solve this argument once and for all. It's ridiculous. It's obscene. Would I lie?
Dilly Dally Deli

New Canaan, CT

#3 Mar 4, 2009
I have read the blogs by Joe Krupinski and Polly Graff. And I agree that it is a shame that Arata's no longer has tables and chairs for customers to sit down and enjoy breakfast and lunch indoors in this winter weather. I have also heard, however, that owner Ron Collura has been told what to do to comply for a permit, dealing with the health department, but has not submitted the papers to the Village yet. What's holding you up, Ron? Arata's is a deli, not a restaurant, and should be treated as such by village officials. The chairs and tables are no different than the other deli in town, B. Brown's, across from the firehouse, except that Brown's is smaller than Arata's. The simliarity is that both establishments put in a proper number of tables to fit its size. Why punish the customers? We're talking about senior citizens, young mothers with toddlers visiting each other for a break, school bus drivers between runs and even Bill the mailman who deserves a hot meal during his run. May the opposing parties, the building department and the deli, please come to terms. Let's sit down. Let us sit down.
Done Deal

New Canaan, CT

#4 Mar 10, 2009
Arata's is still without tables and chairs and is losing business every day. People are used to sitting down and hate the new empty look and take-out-only policy. When will Ron Collura get his paperwork to village hall? When will the building department give him a permit to return the tables? Let's get together, fellas, we liked it the way it was.
Top of the Hill

Neptune, NJ

#5 Mar 11, 2009
What's the harm in having a few tables and chairs available for residents to relax and have a quick meal?
I think it's an extension on the watering hole at the library corner, and promotes social wellbeing in our community.
I love running into friends there and sharing news over a cup of coffee - I hope the Village reconsiders and allows Arata's to reinstall everything soon.
Polly Graff

New Canaan, CT

#6 Mar 12, 2009
Dear Top, I just read your blog on Arata's and it seems that you are not such an upper crust guy I thought you were. Your sentiments about the deli are moving and I wish more people felt that way. What the owners has done is try to improve the facade and was halted by the aristocratic architectural review board who would not accept that he changed his original drawings in only an unobstrusive, harmless way. What's wrong with that group? Then all this about his septic tank overflowing? The tables and chairs do not increase the use of the septic tank because people just sit and eat there and go to the bathroom elsewhere. I wish the building department superintendent made himself available for a personal meeting with the deli owner so that this whole fiasco could be worked out. It's just a shame for Sea Cliff residents and customers can't sit down and relax like they used to.
Frying Pam

New Canaan, CT

#7 Mar 13, 2009
I hereby turn my attention from the Sushi fiasco to the Arata's dilemma because something can still be done about the latter. I miss the tables and chairs like everyone. It was such a relaxing atmosphere and you could meet your friends there. Now the Village has taken all that away. Sure, the deli owner Ron Collura is to blame for not following the rules. But can't the building department superintendent sit down with him and work things out? Instead, Paul Barocca is not to be found. That's a lot of bull, to say it politely. We, the residents of Sea Cliff, deserve much better treatment and consideration.
bill tombly

Avenel, NJ

#8 Mar 13, 2009
the village doesnt want anyone to gather
and talk against them its about control for them

only the village determines what is illegal
put the seats back in aratas

time for change VOTE MARCH 18th
Done Deal

New Canaan, CT

#9 Mar 14, 2009
Hey, Bill, you are right on the money and you did so succinctly. Congrats. I'll expound a litte more, if you will, too, in your next blog. I am a regular customer at Arata's. I enjoyed spending an hour having breakfast and reading my newspapers and greeting people I know. What a shame that the Village should take such a natural meeting place away from its citizens. You're right, vote March 18 at the public works garage. A vote for Bob Haim will mean more of the same, while a vote for Bruce Kennedy or Joe Krupinski will get those tables and chairs back where they belong.
Done Deal

New Canaan, CT

#10 Mar 19, 2009
The owner of Arata's Deli breathed a sigh of relief when he heard that Bruce Kennedy had won the mayor's seat and deputy mayor Bob Haim had lost it. Ron the owner has thought all along that the current village administration is at the basis of his problems and would have continued to be so if not beaten so badly in the election.
With Kennedy in charge, he now has hope for a resolution to the issue of chairs and tables in place for customers who got used to eating in instead of out. It hurt business sorely not to have that ambience for them. Now he has a chance for redemption.
Deli Dealer

New Canaan, CT

#11 Mar 24, 2009
Good news. New government led by a businessman in town may allow Arata's to get their tables and chairs back. Justice at last. Thought for a while that the Village was closing them down like they did the sushi place. Hurrah for our side, the consumers. we wish to see the restaurants thrive in Sea Cliff instead of deteriorate. How about some more shows of support.
An Advocate

New Canaan, CT

#12 Mar 25, 2009
I'm with you, Deli Dealer. it's been long enough that arata's is without tables and chairs. we customers are tired ot not being able to sit down with our breakfasts or lunches. let's take olujr case to the new mayor, Bruce Kennedy, for a little justice here. there's no reason that the situation should be so dormant for so long. arata supporters, unite.
Frying Pam

New Canaan, CT

#13 Mar 26, 2009
The Arata's situation has become absolutely bizarre. Why won't the Village cooperate instead of castigate. The deli owner has capitulated and seemingly held up his side of the bargain regarding the health department et al.

Now it's the Village's turn to try to mediate and negotiate a fair settlement. That means the tables and chairs back in place for the residents and visitors of Sea Cliff. This is some kind of punishment for our citizenry and it's utterly unfair.

Join in, deli lovers, and we'll present Village Hall with these blogs about Arata's.
Glen Covin

Belmar, NJ

#14 Mar 26, 2009
I miss the old aratas. Sandwiches were MUCH better. I asked for an Italian hero recently and one of the sons rolled his eyes. Sorry I made you do your job! I no longer go there.The sandwich and a drink cost me $13 and it was horrible! As for the construction to the front, we all know sea cliff is strict but you cant just do whatever you want.
Deli Dealer

New Canaan, CT

#15 Mar 27, 2009
glen Covin: Sorry about your experience with the Italian hero. You're right about solme of the prices, too. We customers who like to sit down instead of carry out kind of wish the Arata's owner hadn't gotten himself inthis pickle with the Village. But the Village has an obligation now to straighten things out and bring back the tables and chairs. No need to punish the whole population any longer. Amnesty is in order.
Glen Covin

Belmar, NJ

#16 Mar 27, 2009
Deli I agree. Us life long sea cliff people know that you have to play by the rules. The old aratas did. They had great food and loyal customers.
Deli Dealer

New Canaan, CT

#17 Mar 28, 2009
Glen Covin, what an odd name for a life-long Sea Cliff resident? Anyway, thanks for your support.. Every little bit helps us continue our crusade. True, arata's owner didn't help himself by trying to circumvent the village code but it's about time we the people of Sea Cliff got our tables and chairs back. Hopefull, our new mayor will help work it out. Meaznwhile, keep those blogs coming, folks. Join the fray!
Deli Dealer

New Canaan, CT

#18 Mar 28, 2009
Almost forgot. Here is a heartwarming story about the Arata's owner for those people who think he is either a jerk or a bad guy.
He has a tenant who hasn't paid rent since January 1. He lets her go for Jan., Feb. and March, then finally gets frustrated enough to tell her she'll either have to give in some money a month or move out.
without discussing her dire situation, more serious than any of her friends thought, she moves out and ostensibly takes her furniture with her in a truck.
The owner out of curiousity ask the movers where the tenant is moving to. And they tell him the truckload is going to the dump someplace.
The tenant plans to live out of her car in a parking lot next to overnight Wendy's in Greenvale next to TJ Maxx. Deli owner learns this and enlists another tenant to bring her back to her old apartment, giving her an air mattress to sleep on for the night.
Luckily, some friends bring her sticks of furniture and blankets so she is reasonably comfortable.
Moral of the story: Deli owner has a heart after all! Nice story, huh?
Glen Covin

Belmar, NJ

#19 Mar 28, 2009
I know the name is weird. I used it for a blog about about glen cove. I thought i would be done blogging after that but i guess not. Maybe i will change it to something more relevant. thanks for noticing
Deli Dealer

New Canaan, CT

#20 Mar 28, 2009
Glen Covin: If you have a rep with your moniker, keep it. but if you change it, in your first blog someplace, identify that you WERE Glen Covin in your checkered past. Only kidding! Welcolme back to the flock.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nassau County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Arrest in Levittown graffiti spree (May '09) Oct 4 Nassau County PRO... 251
how sex traffickers find their victims Aug '17 coco4u 1
News Long Island wife Kelly Forbes charged with stra... (Dec '07) Jul '17 MLohan 92
News Nassau Cop Gets Community Service for Stealing ... (Jun '12) Apr '17 Anonymous 4
News Former tech firm CEO charged with fraud (Mar '17) Mar '17 Burns 1
Drug Selling Arrest in Bellmore King Kullen Par... (Jan '13) Mar '17 Eric 3
News Police: Bethpage man committed suicide in East ... (Oct '10) Oct '16 Hehasnoclue 5
More from around the web