North Merrick Fire Department Stays on Top of the Game

Oct 25, 2011 Read more: Patch.com 7

On Saturday, the North Merrick Fire Department hosted fire departments from all around the country for a training seminar and fundraiser.

Read more
North Merrick

Bellmore, NY

#1 Oct 25, 2011
I think North Merrick is on top of their game in spending on over the top fire houses and unneeded materials and equipments. How about cut backs in the volunteer fire departments?
Budget Cuts

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 8, 2011
All other agencys around Long Island had their budgets slashed and spending cut. The Volunteer Fire Districts did not. They continue to spend and buy new and unused items for these over the top fire houses. Why is it the kids in schools are suffering, class sizes bigger, programs cut in schools, schoold are consolidating and merging!

But the Long Island Fire Districts keep buying and spending tax money on useless and things that are not fire related. Recenly Elmont refused to comment on how much they spend on drill race teams, how about merricks race team do we really need it?
basil the supporter

Massapequa, NY

#3 Nov 8, 2011
im not a fireman but the north merrick fire department has won state awards for there ambulance response .the fire personel stay motivated by the comaroderie thats created by the drill team whose cost are suplemented by hard working fund raisers.and other bonding events. please bark up another tree because if i ever had to be saved i would not trade that group and try to remember there volunteers and if you have ever done a job for free im sure they would have your respect also
Volley

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2011
They have 8 Fire houses in Merrick some 1/2 mile from the other, the Fire houses are bigger then the next, most have large Bars, Catering halls, and full professional Kitchen in them with multiple stoves, fryers, mult frig and ice makers. Only for Dept use? How much is too much when it come to these fire houses on Long Island they are not fire houses anymore they are over the top country clubs, filled with equipment they will never use.

Tax money being wasited by the millions on Fire Districts. We done need a fire house every 1/2 mile in one town!
Pissed Off

Highland, NY

#5 Nov 9, 2011
Volley wrote:
They have 8 Fire houses in Merrick some 1/2 mile from the other, the Fire houses are bigger then the next, most have large Bars, Catering halls, and full professional Kitchen in them with multiple stoves, fryers, mult frig and ice makers. Only for Dept use? How much is too much when it come to these fire houses on Long Island they are not fire houses anymore they are over the top country clubs, filled with equipment they will never use.
Tax money being wasited by the millions on Fire Districts. We done need a fire house every 1/2 mile in one town!
They are catering halls but for there own families to use.Volley is right what is the reason for multiple stoves and refrigerators and fryers the next time they show there faces at my front door for donations I wont be home.
Volleys needed

Bellmore, NY

#6 Nov 10, 2011
Calculate they have a average of 130 members per firehouse, we pay for their pensions, insurance, retirement, free college, discounted property tax - it cost Long Island more to have Volunteer - It would be cheaper to have full time paid Fireman.
Fire Dept Million Club

Wantagh, NY

#7 Dec 19, 2011
Over 800+ fire houses on Long Island, way to many, they get every amenity and piece of equipment and never use them.

No longer considered Volunteer Fireman around LI, they chill in Lavish and over the top firehouses with bars,pool tables,kegs and taps on call. The Volleys around LI get so many perks they no practically get paid for doing noting. Large Pensions, Large retirements, Free College, 30% reduction in homes taxes, Free Insurance, Free 1 week vacations paid every year, they get old equipment that was never used that tax payers funded and use of catering halls and large Banquet halls in these over the top fire houses for FREE. They even get college credits now, for being A,B or C Volley on LI NY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nassau County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Group Stabbed Man 14 Times Outside Hempstead Re... Apr 6 sorayciss 1
News Prosecutors say Mark Barber, a Nassau County Co... (Aug '10) Mar '15 Sir Charles 36
News 7 nabbed in Nassau County food stamp fraud sting (Oct '09) Jan '15 Nicky marie 20
News Man Found Dead in Jail Cell (Feb '12) Dec '14 GODBlessAmerica 11
kathleen rice nassau DA - can she stop the corr... (Apr '07) Dec '14 AllAboutTheBenjamins 66
Police: Man exposed self to children in Glen Co... Dec '14 Furious 1
News Arrest in Levittown graffiti spree (May '09) Dec '14 bulet 247
More from around the web