Diversity in the Muscogee County Scho...

Diversity in the Muscogee County School District

Posted in the Muscogee County Forum

Frank Goodman

United States

#1 Feb 21, 2008
Recently, I conducted an assessment of the Muscogee County School District to measure the progress of integration or re-segregation in the public school system and was disappointed to learn that 25 out of 56 public schools had a minority student population of 90% or more. Out of those 25 schools, 20 had a minority student population of 95% to 100%.

I have identified 11 schools as having the most diverse student population in Muscogee County with a minority to white - or vice-versa - ratio of 60% to 40% or better.

I expected Columbus to do better following its past efforts to desegregate public schools in 1971. Now, we have students attending our public schools repeating statements that were supposed to be preserved for our segregated past, "I attended an all black or minority school until I attended college." What a shame. This has nothing to do with the ability of children to learn or the teachers' ability to teach. This has everything to do with regression and allowing those who wish for segregation to go unchallenged. If I am wrong about my assessment, I challenge the school board to repeat the decisions of 1971, to desegregate public schools, and observe the excuses, opposition, and possible evacuation of district citizenship.

The question is, do you feel children should attend integrated schools? How about this question. Do you believe children should experience attending a school that would enhance their understanding of others based on race, color, religion, nationality, and etc?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muscogee County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Columbus, Phenix City weather for April 17 from... Apr 18 General Zod 1
News Columbus man thought taunting missing mother's ... Apr 15 Victor Hugo 1
News Rodeo underway to benefit the Stewart Community... Apr 15 Victor Hugo 1
News Interview: Director Richard Lanni On 'Sgt. Stub... Apr 15 Victor Hugo 1
News One man shot, one arrested after dispute on Elm... Apr 15 Victor Hugo 1
News Coyotes appear under control after roundup in W... Apr 15 Victor Hugo 1
News TV reporter is broadcast saying she's 'so over'... Apr 12 Victor Hugo 4