Cherokee Ridge annexation into Arab s...

Cherokee Ridge annexation into Arab still in discussion stage

There are 31 comments on the Alabama Live story from Dec 6, 2011, titled Cherokee Ridge annexation into Arab still in discussion stage. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

Arab Mayor Gary Beam told the City Council Monday that the proposed annexation of the Cherokee Ridge golf community into Arab is still in the discussion stage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FRED

Laceys Spring, AL

#1 Dec 6, 2011
This would be great for the ciy of Arab, more people in the city limits and the city limits will be pushed out all the way to Allens crossroads and withing a couple miles of the county line.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#3 Dec 7, 2011
FRED wrote:
This would be great for the ciy of Arab, more people in the city limits and the city limits will be pushed out all the way to Allens crossroads and withing a couple miles of the county line.
Can the city provide all the city services out there with the personel and equipment on hand? Guntersville used the lasso system years ago that allowed them to run the city limits down the highway right of way to outlying areas for alcohol sales without taking in everything in between.
FRED

Laceys Spring, AL

#4 Dec 7, 2011
Well Cherokee Ridge gas had alcohol at the club huse for years so thats not the reason for the annexation. The residents of the ridge want more than county police protection and volunteer fire department. I also believe I read that by being annexed into the city the residents of fthe ridge will see their property taxes lowered, so it makes since for all involved.

And yes Thomas they will be using the long lasso system to annex the ridge but I dont think many people between the ridge and the current city limits want to be included in the city limits.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#5 Dec 7, 2011
FRED wrote:
Well Cherokee Ridge gas had alcohol at the club huse for years so thats not the reason for the annexation. The residents of the ridge want more than county police protection and volunteer fire department. I also believe I read that by being annexed into the city the residents of fthe ridge will see their property taxes lowered, so it makes since for all involved.
And yes Thomas they will be using the long lasso system to annex the ridge but I dont think many people between the ridge and the current city limits want to be included in the city limits.
Yes,Mr. McDonald got that done so the clubhouse wouldn't have to brown-bag.... If they lasso with both sides of the road,alcohol sales can be allowed along that route for all the residents in the area as in Claysville and Warrington. Maybe even get a roadhouse or a good pool hall and honky tonk. Progress!
FRED

Laceys Spring, AL

#6 Dec 7, 2011
Well thomas I know where you are coming from but Arab is pretty strict with their zoning laws so I doubt you will see a bar out near Oleander. Oh and its called warrenton not warrington people just pronuounce it as warrington, lol. I dont think they are wanting anything in that area right now more of a stop gap measure to keep morgan city or even union grove from expanding out that way.

Oh and thanks for helping me out with the guy from Nebraska! Sorry about them stiffing you at the tax review, but now that the state is not over seeing the tax appraisels things should not be so bad, and yes the lady there was hard to deal with but I went every year and argue with them on all of the property that they raised taxes on, they eventually got the hint.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#7 Dec 7, 2011
FRED wrote:
Well thomas I know where you are coming from but Arab is pretty strict with their zoning laws so I doubt you will see a bar out near Oleander. Oh and its called warrenton not warrington people just pronuounce it as warrington, lol. I dont think they are wanting anything in that area right now more of a stop gap measure to keep morgan city or even union grove from expanding out that way.
Oh and thanks for helping me out with the guy from Nebraska! Sorry about them stiffing you at the tax review, but now that the state is not over seeing the tax appraisels things should not be so bad, and yes the lady there was hard to deal with but I went every year and argue with them on all of the property that they raised taxes on, they eventually got the hint.
They raised mine double digits five years in a row until this year which stayed the same Now that the values have tanked , I called them up and reminded them of the decline in values and what they had done in the past and was told that it was too hard to go in the system to lower the values and as soon as the values come up, it would be too much work to re-figure. BS!!! It sure was easy to put yearly increases in. Still there are folks here that brag about their taxes staying the same for years. It's not what is going on,good or bad,it's who you are. The foul odor coming from the courthouse is the employees and the good-ole-boy system.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#8 Dec 7, 2011
FRED wrote:
Well thomas I know where you are coming from but Arab is pretty strict with their zoning laws so I doubt you will see a bar out near Oleander.
Towns can set liquor requirements and when someone meets the same requirements that is required for others either up front or through loopholes, the city can not change the zoning rules in mid- stream as the ABC board has the final sayso if all rules are met. The Town of Gurley has learned an expensive lesson when they annexed property and denied the owner use of his purchase. It will drag on in court for years but the courts are leaning towards the persons wronged and the attorneys continue to reap the benefits while the town slips towards bankruptcy.
FRED

Laceys Spring, AL

#9 Dec 7, 2011
Not sure what exactly you are talking about there Thomas but no bar or beer store can display signs on the outside of the building or on the windows of any building that promote alcohol or have any name brand of alcohol on them. The city council here also has to approve all requests for a liqour license and then there is the $5000.00 fee for a liqour license and then a 15% tax on all alcohol sold in the city limits, so I would say its pretty well controlled. The ABC board has to approve you before you ever get to the city council in Arab so they kind of have it to where its hard to have too many bars and such.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#10 Dec 7, 2011
FRED wrote:
Not sure what exactly you are talking about there Thomas but no bar or beer store can display signs on the outside of the building or on the windows of any building that promote alcohol or have any name brand of alcohol on them. The city council here also has to approve all requests for a liqour license and then there is the $5000.00 fee for a liqour license and then a 15% tax on all alcohol sold in the city limits, so I would say its pretty well controlled. The ABC board has to approve you before you ever get to the city council in Arab so they kind of have it to where its hard to have too many bars and such.
Hey, I'm for not putting the tacky neon signs in the windows....... Under current laws of the state,not city,the ABC board can over ride a denial of a license if all the requirements are met but some ole fuddy- duddy that owns people on the council gets an approval turned down. The ABC folks help keep zealots,Bible thumpers and politicians at bay.
formerARABreside nt

Huntsville, AL

#11 Dec 16, 2011
I dont know all the issues involved with the anneation request. But, I will say that I think alchohol sale are at the bottum of the list.I think evryone should look at what could happen if it was allowed and ask some questions like "How much is this going to cost the city in the long run?"Is it going to remain a gated community or will it become public so the city will have to maintain the streets. How hard and how much will it cost to provide fire and police protection.It seems to me the only ones benefitting from this will be Cherokee Ridge. What is Cherokee Ridge offering the city in return? Think about it.
FRED

Laceys Spring, AL

#12 Dec 16, 2011
If Cherokee Ridge is annexed it can be kept gated but only if the city doesnt annex the roads or if the roads remain the property of Cherokee Ridge. If the city is taking care of the roads, e.i: paving them, repairing them, etc. then they gate can remain in place but only as window dressing.

By window dressing I mean that if the city is taking care of the streets or that the streets are not left out of the annexation then they become public property. When they boceom public property anyone can drive into the ridge just as anyone can drive down main street in Arab.
ThomasA

Leeds, AL

#13 Dec 16, 2011
formerARABresident wrote:
I dont know all the issues involved with the anneation request. But, I will say that I think alchohol sale are at the bottum of the list.I think evryone should look at what could happen if it was allowed and ask some questions like "How much is this going to cost the city in the long run?"Is it going to remain a gated community or will it become public so the city will have to maintain the streets. How hard and how much will it cost to provide fire and police protection.It seems to me the only ones benefitting from this will be Cherokee Ridge. What is Cherokee Ridge offering the city in return? Think about it.
It's no different than The Ledges in Huntsville. The clubhouse there can be rented out for private parties or weddings and liquor can be served legally.
ThomasA

Leeds, AL

#14 Dec 16, 2011
FRED wrote:
Madison County recently voted to allow liquor and wine sales by the drink in the unincorporated parts of the county. The main requirement is that food has to be fifty per cent of the business,no dancing,live bands,or DJs. If Marshall County follows, Arab would have no sayso outside unincorporated parts of the area. A good greasy spoon roadhouse diner with booze and a jukebox outside the city limits might be a good investment. Yeeeeeee haw!
Roger

Laceys Spring, AL

#15 Dec 16, 2011
Thomas this is in Marshall County and Marshall county is still dry.
ThomasA

Leeds, AL

#16 Dec 16, 2011
Roger wrote:
In name only.With Guntersville ,Albertville, and Arab being wet,and it being legal to transport liquor in your trunk,what is really dry about this county? Who's kidding who?
ThomasA

Leeds, AL

#17 Dec 16, 2011
Roger wrote:
Boaz voting dry was a joke. Their city limits meets with wet Sardis at the county line and is only a few short blocks from the 431 business district. The good citizens thought they were blocking alcohol but all they blocked was revenue. There is even a state ABC store to serve Boaz,across the line. Way to go folks.
Oh Well

Arab, AL

#18 Dec 23, 2011
If Arab annex CR, and the gates are open to the public, I will be the first one riding down the streets on my ATV 4 wheeler!!!LOL
Arab

Arab, AL

#19 Dec 24, 2011
Roger yes Marshall county is dry but Cherokee ridge has a club house that sells alcohol. Guntersville is wet Arab wet Albertville wet. Marshall county is losing money but they can't figure that out
ThomasA

Leeds, AL

#20 Dec 26, 2011
Arab wrote:
Roger yes Marshall county is dry but Cherokee ridge has a club house that sells alcohol. Guntersville is wet Arab wet Albertville wet. Marshall county is losing money but they can't figure that out
Normal thinking people have figured that out but there are still a lot of bluehairs,bunheads,and Bible thumpers that fight anything to do with legalizing that is already all around them.
Roger

Laceys Spring, AL

#21 Dec 26, 2011
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Normal thinking people have figured that out but there are still a lot of bluehairs,bunheads,and Bible thumpers that fight anything to do with legalizing that is already all around them.
I dont understand what point you are trying to make Thomas. I am aware that Cherokee Ridge serves alcohol at the clubhouse. If Cherokee ridge is annexed into the city limits by the long lasso rule a property owner adjoining the highway will have to request to be annesed into the city and then apply for a liquor license. I figured the gas station at allens crossroads might want to sell beer but I dont see someone setting up a liqour store out there but who knows? I dont really care either way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Morgan County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriff Ana Franklin and her corruption Jan '17 whistleblower 1
the truth is coming to light (Aug '16) Aug '16 MsBitch 1
Morgan County Football League Meeting (Dec '08) Oct '15 Dan Burney 24
danville man, Justin Wright, arrested (May '15) May '15 curious 1
domestic violence case (Apr '15) Apr '15 interested 1
News Sex Offender Arrested in Morgan Co. (Mar '10) Sep '14 Big DADDY 3
News Meth labs found in Morgan County home (Jun '10) Apr '14 Bandit 4
More from around the web