Health officials: Smoking ban complaints in Ohio continue to drop

Full story: WJW Fox 8 Cleveland

State health officials say complaints filed against businesses for violating Ohio's smoking ban are dropping, a sign that more bars and restaurants are following the law.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 1, 2010
maybe

Mentor, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

or non smokers have given up since there is like only 3 people to enforce this law.
Lamar

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

Well, that's not really a good thing. The ban is very unconstitutional. That should be up to the owner's of the bar or restaurant to make that call.
Keep Leno dump Conan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

I own a bar, my inspector from the health department said that the state has taken in $1.2 million in fines but has spent $2.4 million to enforce this stupid law. Once again the people of Ohio have voted against themselves. Business owners should have the choice of how they want to run their establishments. If you do not want to go to a place that permits smoking, don't go there! Over 100 bars have now closed due to the no smoking ban. Don't let them fool you when they say no bars have ever closed due do a smoking ban, they lied to you!!!
NOSmoking

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

I am a non-smoker and I want to sue bars i drank in for giving me cancer!
I never saw a sign warning me that there were deadly toxins from other people smoking in the bar!

I like to see all non-smokers, with health issues sue the bars they drank in! Really they never posted any warnings!

Let shut down 100 more bars, stop the drunk drivers.
non smoker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Judged:

hi im 13 and i dont like everybody that is smoking.

i mean y do u even do it if u r smoking and drinking?

i think it just waist ur time and u can go into cancer or even die.

my mom is smoking and drinking. i tell her to stop and its not good for u but she dosent listen to me .i just dont want to lose her.:(
Ragmag

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

What they aren't saying is that the numbers have dropped because a lot of the bars have closed up. Of course the numbers are going to be smaller when you have a smaller pool to draw from. We were forced to shut our magazine down because 75 percent of our ad revenue was from bars and clubs, who promoted live music. When the smoking ban went in to effect, the people stopped coming to their clubs. So, the smoking ban not only drove a lot of bars out of business, but a lot of other businesses never mentioned.
Ragmag

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

...and I want to add that how come this smoking ban isn't enforced inside of rubber and plastic factories where the smoke is 100 times worse than in clubs? Why not fine the factories because people are breathing in toxic fumes as well? I find it funny that it's ok for people to breathe in the rubber and plastic fumes, but the smoke from a cig. is suppossed to be much more harmful?
West_Side

Atwater, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

Less people are going out to bars and there are a lot less of those "No Smoking call 1-800 to Report" signs.

Ragmag is correct, I work in manufacturing, there are approx 8,000 factories in Northeast Ohio, tobacco is the least of your worries in many of them.
Grammar school

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2010

Judged:

non smoker wrote:
hi im 13 and i dont like everybody that is smoking.
i mean y do u even do it if u r smoking and drinking?
i think it just waist ur time and u can go into cancer or even die.
my mom is smoking and drinking. i tell her to stop and its not good for u but she dosent listen to me .i just dont want to lose her.:(
I suggest that you show this post to your English teacher. Maybe she can recommend some remedial lessons to prevent you from becoming like the other posters on this board. To your credit, you did spell "lose" correctly.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••