Deputy thought he saw gun

Full story: Monterey County Herald

Sheriff's deputy Jesse Pinon told investigators that Salinas body-shop owner Carlos Fletes pointed a gun directly at him before he shot him in the hand, knocking the gun and Fletes to the ground Jan.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2012
GLOBIX

United States

#1 Mar 21, 2009
HMMM....GANG BANGERS WITH GUNS. WHO IS ON TRIAL HERE. NO WONDER THE GANGSTERS ARE RUNNING WILD IN THE STREETS. THE COPS ARE TRYING TO DO THERE JOBS AND IT SEEMS THAT THEY ARE THE ONES ON TRIAL! UNBELIEVABLE.
nobody special

Salinas, CA

#2 Mar 21, 2009
first order of business: get shooting practice for Pinon. But, of course, their story of thinking they were immenent victims of a drive-by; that's pretty good reason to aim a spray gun at the sheriff. Wait- was Fletes going to spray his rivals? So he thought it was a potential drive by... and grabbed a spray gun. yeah, that's what happened. No way was he gonna point a gun at anyone. I hear the average IQ in prison is around 80.
RetDet

AOL

#3 Mar 21, 2009
I was fascinated to learn from this article that Virginia Hennessey now has to expertise required to interpret people's testimony. In the deputy's statements, he says over and over again that Fletes pointed a gun directly at him, and that's why Fletes got himself shot.

In looking at the headline, Hennessey has apparently decided that the deputy really didn't mean that, but meant to say that he only thought he saw a gun.

Now, the mental midgets who read Hennessey's article will tend to believe her, even though her side of the story means nothing. It's just pitifully poor reporting.

Has anyone spoken to her about her ability to see into the past, and her ability to interpret for other people? Will she be spoken to regarding her choice of words? Or has the Herald sunk to a new low by not being able to proof-read Hennessey's garbage? Are you a newspaper or a bird cage liner? Who should have caught this?

Insofar as Hernandez' comments are concerned, I've known him for years. He's very creative in his thinking. Generally, he's wrong, but he's still creative. And his explanation of the sequence of events has no bearing on the deputy's testimony.

It's interesting to note that neither of the people in the body shop were armed according to Hernandez, but there were two handguns recovered. I guess they just sort of materialized, and neither Fletes or his crime partner had any idea that they were there. Ah, Miguelito. Nice try. Ah, Virginia. Your reportage stinks.
Tom Bowers

Lexington, KY

#4 Mar 22, 2009
Pigs are too stoopid to carry guns.
Mexican Terrorist Kill

United States

#5 Mar 22, 2009
At 2:20 p.m., Angel Gabriel Escobedo was playing with family and friends at a park in the Apple Hill neighborhood on Green Meadow Drive when they were approached by two men.
Police said the men asked for the basketball players' gang affiliation.
One of the suspects left the park and returned soon after with a handgun.
Escobedo was shot numerous times, police said.
His friends escaped.
Police said Escobedo died at the scene.
Mexican Terrorist Kill

United States

#6 Mar 22, 2009
Just in case some of you people thought thing were OK....Punks kill again!
DetSgtsWife

Salinas, CA

#7 Mar 23, 2009
It amazes me that cops/deputies are nearly always portrayed as the bad guys when a shooting occurs. They are pretty much torn apart by defense attorneys and the gangsters' families. These are men and women who are putting themselves at risk every single day to keep us safe. They walk out their doors after kissing their husband/wife/kids/significant other for what just may be the very last time on a daily basis. So Fletes was shot in the hand? When was the last time you saw a gun being pointed at you by a known gang member in a town known for its gang activity? Fletes is beyond lucky that Pinon's shot only took out his hand and injured his stomach. It is too bad that gang members get more sympathy than the people whose jobs it is to protect and keep the peace. "He had no father figure to look up to; he had to rely on his gang to be his family." Please... Talk about a sad excuse. It's no wonder that the gangster life is looked upon by a lot of young people as "the thing to be" instead of looking up to men and women in law enforcement as well as other prodouctive citizens, and emulating them and the positive things they do for our communities. Who are you going to call when you need help? I'll bet it's not a Norteno or a Soreno...
lil ms sunshine

San Jose, CA

#8 Mar 23, 2009
GLOBIX wrote:
HMMM....GANG BANGERS WITH GUNS. WHO IS ON TRIAL HERE. NO WONDER THE GANGSTERS ARE RUNNING WILD IN THE STREETS. THE COPS ARE TRYING TO DO THERE JOBS AND IT SEEMS THAT THEY ARE THE ONES ON TRIAL! UNBELIEVABLE.
You might not know all the facts. I do..... He had a paint spray gun in his hand. The officer shot an unarmed man.
lil ms sunshine

San Jose, CA

#9 Mar 23, 2009
RetDet wrote:
I was fascinated to learn from this article that Virginia Hennessey now has to expertise required to interpret people's testimony. In the deputy's statements, he says over and over again that Fletes pointed a gun directly at him, and that's why Fletes got himself shot.
In looking at the headline, Hennessey has apparently decided that the deputy really didn't mean that, but meant to say that he only thought he saw a gun.
Now, the mental midgets who read Hennessey's article will tend to believe her, even though her side of the story means nothing. It's just pitifully poor reporting.
Has anyone spoken to her about her ability to see into the past, and her ability to interpret for other people? Will she be spoken to regarding her choice of words? Or has the Herald sunk to a new low by not being able to proof-read Hennessey's garbage? Are you a newspaper or a bird cage liner? Who should have caught this?
Insofar as Hernandez' comments are concerned, I've known him for years. He's very creative in his thinking. Generally, he's wrong, but he's still creative. And his explanation of the sequence of events has no bearing on the deputy's testimony.
It's interesting to note that neither of the people in the body shop were armed according to Hernandez, but there were two handguns recovered. I guess they just sort of materialized, and neither Fletes or his crime partner had any idea that they were there. Ah, Miguelito. Nice try. Ah, Virginia. Your reportage stinks.
You talk like you know so much. I was gonna tell you off but I would only lower my standards to yours. Have a nice day and may god bless you. You dont know if carlos fletes could be my son and you judgiing him like that but its ok only god know what happend.
where is Daddy

Carmel Valley, CA

#10 Mar 23, 2009
If he is your son, you got a problem Lady! You raised a Gang Banger, a criminal and a loser..Good job Mom.
Jury duty please

Carmel Valley, CA

#11 Mar 23, 2009
A felon with a gun and we are to believe anything this Gang Banger says? My friends your tax dollars are paying for this "soap opera"
ms sunshine

United States

#12 Apr 17, 2009
where is Daddy wrote:
If he is your son, you got a problem Lady! You raised a Gang Banger, a criminal and a loser..Good job Mom.
your name says it all. "where is daddy" who are you to talk im sure your a scre up your self.
Anti-Gang Banger

United States

#13 Apr 18, 2009
ms sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>
your name says it all. "where is daddy" who are you to talk im sure your a scre up your self.
Please use the English language when posting on this board.
Limp Louie

United States

#15 Apr 18, 2009
ms sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a Gang Banger? Have you killed any of your own lately?
Redwhiteandblue

Salinas, CA

#16 Sep 29, 2012
IF U DIDNT KNOW PINON IS A DIRTBAG NO GANG MEMBER TRUST HIM HE MIGHT BE VERY AGRESSIVE BUT HIS ETHICS ARE TOTALLY DISRESPECTFUL HE HAS BEEN ASSAULTED 2 TIMES ALREADY BY GUYS TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM HIM CAUSE THEY DONT TRUST HIM

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Monterey County will buy Capital One buildingMo... Wed dv philpott 1
Large pot operation cleared in San Juan Bautist... Aug 7 anonymous 1
Seaside man arrested in connection with 2013 sl... Aug 6 NotinSeaside 2
Monterey Co. Sheriff's ask DA to file murder ch... Aug 5 zillion 1
Inmate repeatedly stabs corrections officer in ... Aug 4 Antoine 3
Looking Back: 1966 - A year of change in labor ... Jul 29 dalila 1
Elisabeth Mineta appointed Monterey County Supe... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Trisha 8
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••