Black History Month

Black History Month

There are 16 comments on the Logan Banner story from Feb 14, 2012, titled Black History Month. In it, Logan Banner reports that:

For 36 years, February has been designated by every U.S. president as Black History Month recognizing the contributions of African Americans to our past, present and future.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Logan Banner.

red

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2012
Is a joke
Agreed

Huntington, WV

#2 Feb 14, 2012
Agreed. Schoolteachers have about three different topics that they just beat like a drum. MLK Jr., George W. Carver and around here, Carter G. Woodson.

If they have time, they drag out Maya Angelou and Harriet Tubman.

If you're going to have the audacity to declare an entire month to be about the history of a race, then they really need to step up the game. Teach about the Tuskegee Airmen, Bose Ikard, Madam C.J. Walker, Henry Ossawa Tanner, and hundreds more. It's kind of insulting to behave as if there were only about a dozen African Americans who contributed to our great country.

Truly educate. Our children deserve it.
Redneck

Chesapeake, VA

#4 Feb 14, 2012
The emancipation proclamation was and is not being taught in our Schools the way it should be. That should be one of the most important things when it comes down to Black history. Lincoln was credited with freeing the slaves, well that was not true if you were to take that in it's context back in the day. Some were freed, very few, but eventually over the years they were all freed. That's not they way American history was taught to me when I was in School and it isn't taught that way to day. I will agree there is more than just a hand full of black Americans that have made black history what it is today. Rosa Parks has done more for her nationality than MLK or President obama, but you hear so little about her.
Carded

Huntington, WV

#5 Feb 14, 2012
good point. I didn't do well in history in school. I could never remember much of anything, and the funny thing is, now that I'm grown, I'm learning that most of what they were teaching was total bs anyway, so, score one for me and all the other ADD kids!
fvs111

West Hamlin, WV

#6 Feb 14, 2012
I find it funny that its also domestic violence awareness month......just saying.
Joanie

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Feb 14, 2012
fvs111 wrote:
I find it funny that its also domestic violence awareness month......just saying.
Yeah & February is also American Heart Month, National Grapefruit Month, Great American Pie Month, etcÂ… Are those also funny, bigot?
Professor Fate

Houston, TX

#8 Feb 14, 2012
fvs111 wrote:
Black History Month and domestic violence awareness go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#9 Feb 15, 2012
Look at the bright side of Black History Month. It's the shortest month and the coldest month of the year. Let the darkies have their fun. In March it's back to the cotton fields.
xyz

Statts Mills, WV

#10 Feb 15, 2012
And here's another bright side. It paved the way for civil rights which includes the ever forthcoming rights of Gays to marry. February seems to be a bad month for bigots all around. Go Washington State!!
Bud

Louisville, KY

#12 Feb 15, 2012
red wrote:
Is a joke
Thank God February is the shortest month of the year.
Joanie

Jersey City, NJ

#13 Feb 15, 2012
xyz wrote:
And here's another bright side. It paved the way for civil rights which includes the ever forthcoming rights of Gays to marry. February seems to be a bad month for bigots all around. Go Washington State!!
LMAO (:
Karl K Krueger

Huntington, WV

#14 Feb 15, 2012
In my history books, they swung from a tree.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#15 Feb 17, 2012
A chapter in Texas history that I have never read. Holt Collier In the spring of 1867, a young black man was charged with murdering a white Union Officer in Greenville, Mississippi. Collier who had been a slave who belonged to the Hinds family had served four years in the Cavalry under General Nathan Bedford Forrest. After the war he learned that a union officer insulted his former master, so to avenge him Collier killed the officer. He was tried for murder and was acquitted; he was defended by a leading attorney. In later years Collier gained fame as a guide for the Theodore Roosevelt during the president's bear hunt in Sharkey County.

At the outbreak of the Civil War, Howell Hinds joined the Confederate Army and gave Collier his freedom papers. Collier immediately tried to join the Confederate forces alongside Hinds, but was told he was too young to fight. He ran away from the plantation and stowed away on a riverboat in the Mississippi for almost a year and then joined the 9th Texas Brigade by his own choice and served throughout the war. He finished his service as one of Nathan Bedford Forrest's most trusted cavalry scouts, known as a superb horseman and marksman.

During the time of Reconstruction, Collier was accused of murdering a Yankee soldier, Captain James King, but was acquitted by a military tribunal in Vicksburg. King and Howell Hinds were involved in a fight and during the dispute, Hinds, though a much older man, knocked the youngster down several times. King's anger grew with every knockdown. Finally, the thoroughly infuriated young man drew a knife on his unarmed opponent, but a bystander fired shots killing King, preventing him from drawing blood with his knife. It was never fully proven that Holt Collier was the man behind the gun. Soon after the trial, Collier left Mississippi and headed for Texas to lay low and let the controversy of the trial and King's death blow over.

While in Texas, Collier used his skills as a horseman to work as a cowboy for one of the Lone Star State's Founding Fathers, Lawrence Sullivan Ross, on Ross' large ranch. Ross was one of the first Texas Rangers and eventually Governor of Texas, which adds a bit of irony to the story considering Collier was biding time waiting for a murder accusation to pass.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#16 Feb 18, 2012
xyz wrote:
Haha! Good stuff, XYZ.
Nagas74

Canton, MI

#17 Feb 18, 2012
Funny how I everytime click on something about black history month it's always very few blacks on the site but droves of white supremacists! All of you racist genetically recessive idiots seem to be obsessed with black people. If you truly felt so superior to blacks, you wouldn't go to black forums raving and ranting. Why waist your time? It is because deep within your subconscious you all know that black people are the center of humanity. You know that your so called "Founding Fathers","Pilgrims "',"Settlers", "Immigrants", etc. were really just a bunch of non bathing,pillagers,plunderers,i nvaders,rapists,murderers,ensl avers,thieves,racists,and practicers of genocide. These are your heroes. Ironically,with ancestors who acquired whole continents (Africa,North and South America,Australia etc.) from these atrocious means have the nerve to call other people "Terrorist"!!! LMBAO.... If you were to define the word terrorist to any indigenous people and ask them to give an example of one, who do you think they would mention??? Lol the white man of course. The white man is the biggest terrorist on the planet! He invented terrorism.
fvsluvsjoanie

West Hamlin, WV

#21 Feb 18, 2012
Ahhh poor joanie is a little butt hurt....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stimulus dollars offer relief for unemployed (Apr '09) May '16 Monroe das muh nayme 5
News Valley's population continuing to decline (Mar '15) May '16 Monroe das muh nayme 2
FFA Fruit Sell! Make Final Orders by Monday!! (Nov '14) May '16 Monroe das muh nayme 4
Sex Offenders in Peterstown (Dec '11) Sep '15 who cares2015 5
Fire on War Ridge (Jun '15) Jun '15 willow 1
Charles wiseman (May '15) May '15 Beehive 2
News West Virginia Jury Awards $325K in Elder Abuse ... (Dec '14) Jan '15 feelingbad4her 21
More from around the web