Census Shows Many Kids Living in Poverty

Census Shows Many Kids Living in Poverty

There are 4 comments on the RochesterHomepage.net story from Sep 20, 2012, titled Census Shows Many Kids Living in Poverty. In it, RochesterHomepage.net reports that:

More than a quarter of kids in Monroe County and half of the children in the city of Rochester are living in poverty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at RochesterHomepage.net.

pigpen911

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#1 Sep 21, 2012
Why? Where is the taxpayer"s money going?
Count Herfitter

Rochester, NY

#2 Sep 21, 2012
I'll bet a fistful of $20's that the parent(s) waste their money on totally uneccessary things.
The kids are poor, yet they have a big flat screen, tons of video games, xbox, full cable with every movie channel, computer with full internet, multiple cell/smart phones with unlimitied call/texting options, tons of extra clothes or shoes they never wear, lots of knick knack junk, stuff in the attic or basement they never used, and guarentee they wont cut back on their weekly budget for booze, cigs,(maybe drugs) and lottery tickets.
They never learned how to prioritize. They need to talk to old people who went thru the Depression to find out what poor and making sacrifice is and how to survive on basic needs and NOT waste.

Steel City Steelers

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3 Sep 21, 2012
"Community advocates say in order to pull kids out of poverty, parents need help too, "we could have the earned income tax credit, we could support working parents by making child care more affordable for them, we could make sure that families have access to medical insurance and have access to healthy foods to help alleviate this problem," says Dr. Kaczorowski."
...Ummmm...don't we already do these things???
Steel City Steelers

United States

#4 Sep 21, 2012
Count Herfitter wrote:
I'll bet a fistful of $20's that the parent(s) waste their money on totally uneccessary things.
The kids are poor, yet they have a big flat screen, tons of video games, xbox, full cable with every movie channel, computer with full internet, multiple cell/smart phones with unlimitied call/texting options, tons of extra clothes or shoes they never wear, lots of knick knack junk, stuff in the attic or basement they never used, and guarentee they wont cut back on their weekly budget for booze, cigs,(maybe drugs) and lottery tickets.
They never learned how to prioritize. They need to talk to old people who went thru the Depression to find out what poor and making sacrifice is and how to survive on basic needs and NOT waste.
They should report govt freebies and drug dealing / prostitution monies as income.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hawley promotes 'Our Blue Day' to honor those i... Jul '16 who dat 1
News Man Accused of Shooting at Rochester Police Off... May '16 josephbarkley 19
News Questions arise as Rochester area digs out from... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ELANE 1
News Andrew J. Thompson pleads guilty to two murders (Sep '10) Jan '16 a thompson 8
News Syrian Refugees Wrong For Rochester (Nov '15) Nov '15 watchman69 9
News In Jail, Too Poor to Make Bail (Oct '15) Oct '15 Book Reader 12
News Blackwell Indicted (Sep '15) Sep '15 Ghetto Gardens 1
More from around the web