West Virginia Lawmakers Accuse Family...

West Virginia Lawmakers Accuse Family Policy Council of “Intimidation”

There are 3 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Mar 21, 2009, titled West Virginia Lawmakers Accuse Family Policy Council of “Intimidation”. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Two West Virginia lawmakers, House Judiciary Chairwoman Carrie Webster and Monongalia County Delegate Barbara Fleischauer say they are being targeted by a telemarketing campaign paid for by the Family Policy Council of West Virginia that is designed to “intimidate” them.

Webster and the ACLU are also questioning who is really picking up the tab for the phone calls, saying that out-of-state special-interest groups often fund such campaigns.

This week, residents in West Virginia began receiving telemarketer-type calls from a firm representing the Family Policy Council of West Virginia. The telemarketing firm tells call recipients the two lawmakers are blocking a ban on gay marriage and if the calls recipients chooses, the firm then forwards their call through to Webster’s or Fleischauer’s office so they can to express their views on gay marriage.

“They call my staff idiots. They call my staff God-haters,” Webster said. “I believe people should be able to exercise their free speech, but I do think it’s a manipulation.”

Last week, state senators passed a bill that would add sexual orientation to West Virginia’s civil rights laws. Webster says believes the phone campaign is related to that bill.

“I think the objective has been to make sure that we don’t protect gays in employment and in housing,” Webster said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

“That's Mama Luigi to you too”

Since: Jun 08

Orange County,CA

#1 Mar 21, 2009
This sorta thing is gonna lead their downfall as far as those "family groups"

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

#2 Mar 21, 2009
Just fake Christians butting in other's business. there is plenty of crime, spouse-abuse, child abuse, hunger, and homeless people to keep real WV Christians busy. These guys are hacks heating up the rural areas. Lets make calls back!

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3 Mar 21, 2009
These are the same type of people that accuse us of trying to force our "lifestyle" on others.

Bit of the pot calling the kettle black I say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monongalia County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Judge to be Sworn in Thursday (Jan '11) Jul '17 need info 11
looking for relatives (Jan '16) Mar '16 Helper 2
birth parents search (Aug '14) Mar '16 Lynn 2
News A familiar voice on Morgantown airwaves signs off (Apr '15) Apr '15 Bye 2
Newspaper article 1921 (Dec '14) Mar '15 CarolynK 2
News Morgantown Delegate shot Friday night (Jan '14) Feb '14 Neighborhood Dog 3
News Fire Rips Through Trailer in Monongalia County (Feb '08) Nov '13 dw carver 2
More from around the web