Bakersville jail fire
Brian

Charlotte, NC

#1 Mar 26, 2009
I have read much about this killing fire. In my opinion I beleive in 2002 that someone who had the power or someones were paid off with hush money or drugs or both for this not to have been solved. My gut feelings have always told me that there was something rotten about all this tragedy. Hope justice is servrd.
Judy

Dover, DE

#2 Mar 28, 2009
There was lots of hush-hush, but coming straight from the guard that was fired, was that Sheriff Fox told her not to allow anyone out of the jail till he got there. I bet his conscience is biting him! What was he thinking? On the other hand, the guard in question was at the local diner down the street, not at the jail.
doubting

Jonas Ridge, NC

#3 Apr 1, 2009
If and this is a very big If this case ever is solved I beleive that all the law enforcement should be under internal investigation. Some one in authority for money or whatever reason decided would be best to play "dumb" which is no big deal and just let this case slide, jobs would be taken away people would be embrassed besides these 8 inmates were not really that important? Sure the 8 inmates are God's children and are important! This is why F.B I. agents need to investigate first starting with the law even if this means firing everyone in the department. One D.A. who is only trained to fix traffic tickets cannot find a "smoking gun" what is he going to do wait until these two women die of old age? That could be 40 years from now. Wake Up Mitchell County!
Ike

Jonas Ridge, NC

#4 Apr 1, 2009
I agree with "Doubting" long ago an intrenal investigation should have been done. This will never happen because every one will lose, The fire inspector. the Sherriff's Dept, the S.B.I. the jailer who left the jail in the hands of a trustee??? I know that Mitchell County does transport their inmates to Ruterdford Co. now and the people are against building a new jail because this would raise taxes and cost a fortune to an already poor county. I hope Mitchell Co. doesn't get another jail because no one know how to keep a jail safe up there.
Judy

Dover, DE

#5 Apr 1, 2009
Hey, how's this for fun......most of the guys in there were "weekenders" doing time for DUI. Sick, sick, sick.
Donald

Jonas Ridge, NC

#6 Apr 1, 2009
I drove to Bakersville to see for myself where that awful fire was that killed 8 men. One red light. One. The jail couldn't have been over 500 sq. ft. Someone said the Jailer left the jail to go walk across the street and get a meal. Leaving only the Trustee to keep the jail safe. This sould have been against regulations, period. No wonder a fire started and killed 8 people. Perfect timing to let the Davis woman in and start a blaze. The rest is bad carma.
Pamela

Jonas Ridge, NC

#7 Apr 1, 2009
Bakersville never has had any real law so if an internal investigation was done all these lawmen would be without a job. 2002 is when this should have happened. Never will these women have to spend one day in jail because the case is too old and too botched by crooked law and the jail should never have past inspection with the sprinklers not working. The law dropped the ball and these women will get to spend $70,000 of tax payers money and nothing will ever change in the little one red light town og Bakersville. I am sorry for the families. Everyone has let them down.
Sally

United States

#8 Apr 18, 2009
This case will never make it to criminal trsil in my opinion. The time has been too long 2002 to 2009. Many lawenforcers would lose their jobs because this is you cover me and I'll cover you deal. Sure Deneise and Melissia probably did start the fire but again this is he said she said. All the evidence against these two have been destroyed while both have received $70.000.oo dollars of tax money. From what I hear they have spent the money partying and on drugs. No conscience in this case.
Bill

United States

#9 Apr 18, 2009
The whole Sherriffs Dept need to be dismissed and all new Sherriff's Dept. hired since this one has been so undercover for 8 years. Something to hide obviously or the truth and justice would have been heard in 2002. The D.A. there his hands are tied so he will only go so far in the investigation. The victims' poor families will never see these two women go to justice because too many crooked lawmen would join them in prision, the fire department is guilty also in my opinion. These women pulled off the perfect crime and had a ball spending all that money.
Oscar

United States

#10 Apr 18, 2009
I lived in Mitchell County for years. The Sherriff's have always been crooked in those mountains since Geouge was Sherriff. No I truly don't beleive any lose sleep over those 8 men killed innocently, No the families will never see justice across the board because no pros are working this case and these wimen will never turn themselves in! These women have zero conscience. Eight men have died for no reason. The families of these jailed men don't have the money or means to prosecute any who are to blame for 8 deaths. God will give all justice in this case if not in this life then the eternal life to come.
Paul

United States

#11 Apr 18, 2009
If only these 8 men had wealthy families and the means to hire the best dectives could this case ever be solved. I wish the D.A. there in Bakersville would stop giving the families false hope. He just promises hope to get reelected. The two women are never going to turn themselves in to the authorities because no one wants to go to prison for the rest of their lives. My blood boils when I think of them and all the others who know the truth are going on with their lives as if the fire never even happened.
Max

United States

#12 Apr 18, 2009
I have read many of the above statements and i do agree that nothing will ever be done but talk about the Bakersville Jailfire that took 8 human lives in 2002. The authorities are to blame as much as the two women who are living life as though nothing ever happened. Wonder if HELL will be hot enough for all the ones who really are to blame for 8 dead men in a fire that should have never have happened. The county is too poor to build another jail and too stupid to keep one safe so I guess the drive to Rutherforton will never end for the prisioners and at least the jail in that county is safe and the law ther know what they are doing.
Sue

United States

#13 Apr 18, 2009
Talk is all that will ever come out of this horrible jail fire in little minded Bakersville.
Jolene

United States

#14 Apr 18, 2009
Yes I agree with the other writiers that this case will never get justice except in the here after. I feel sad for the families that ther is such a nasty cover-up that will indeed stop this case from going forward, Don't fool yourselves the ones to blame for this fire are not losing any sleep over this fire that killed 8 men. The sad fact is the only one's losing sleep are the families of these poor men who were trapped in a cell. This Bakersville place is run by folks who talk the talk but don't walk the walk and never will in my opinion just a bunch of hicks.
tall woman

United States

#15 Apr 18, 2009
This case will crawl as slow as a snail. No justice will ever be had no arrest will ever be made because no one in Bakersville knows what they are doing. These women will die a natural death but not ever in prison because the criminal justice system has always been crooked in this countyof Bakersville. If the county was a common sense county this terrible fire would never have happened in the first place.
Judy

Dover, DE

#16 Apr 18, 2009
You say the county is poor...not so. I just found out that they're trying to change the revaluation from every 8 years to every 4 years. The bigger question is, what are they doing with all that money? For one thing, they built a new courthouse AND FORGOT TO BUILD HOLDING CELLS IN IT! You'all need to get together and start auditing that county!! The money is hiding somewhere (maybe in somebody's pocket?)!!!

"The county is too poor to build another jail and too stupid to keep one safe so I guess the drive to Rutherforton will never end for the prisioners and at least the jail in that county is safe and the law ther know what they are doing."
miranda

Boone, NC

#17 Aug 19, 2009
judy's right about at least one being a weekender. I went to high school with Haley Thomas one of the victims. He did party, but he was a nice guy, funny, and well-liked. I'm sure he didn't do anything horrible enough to be burned alive and then swept under a rug. He will be missed along with the others
the unlucky 1s

Burnsville, NC

#18 Jan 27, 2011
i was in that jail fire that nite. yea im 1 of the unluckiest sum of a bit*hs. 2 go through what i do day in day out. come step n2 my shoes 4 @ least a half a day. fu*k mitchell county. made me do weekends after that. thats ok they got 2 deal with the good LORD and answer 2 him. i may not get 2 c it but i would like 2 b a bird in the sky when they do.why in the heack has no1 been charged? why want the S.B.I. release the report? what in the heack are they hiding? let us no. let ME no so i can move on with my life. I USE2 DREAM ABOUT THE FUTURE BUT NOW THE FUTURE IS MY PAST..... the unlucky 1s

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mitchell County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sinful Pastor Homer Murdock Dec '15 Justice Prevails 1
old skool arcade (Sep '15) Sep '15 osa 1
Country Cable Vision Fiber-Optic Internet Services (Aug '15) Aug '15 MilitantDanny 1
Stephanie Long (Jul '15) Jul '15 BRP549 1
jury duty (Feb '15) Feb '15 Why 1
bethel baptist (Mar '14) Mar '14 bigboy 1
News Snow in Asheville area affects schools, roads (Feb '13) Feb '13 ApePeeD 1
More from around the web