Harley leaving Milwaukee: After 107 years, Harley could leave Milwa...

Aug 4, 2010 Read more: Fox6 48
It's the roar that made Milwaukee famous -- the distinctive throaty rumble of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
sally

United States

#1 Aug 4, 2010
NowNOW people just look around and see what has happened to milwaukee.Higher taxes & more profit. for the higher up's .I say cuts for EVERYONE them ( maybe ) every one can make a livening. Just look around milwaukee/we use to have rex nord/allis chambers/catipiller/ac spark plug/delco/delphi/ jewl/treasure island/& many more that we in wisconsin have lost & no replacing means NO job's Where are all of the congressperson WE THE PEOPLE PUT IN OFFICE.it seens to me this not an election year & tre to get a hold of any of these people .INPOSSABLE or no return call ,PEOPLE wake up,(people will revolt evenly.)
tocsic

West Bend, WI

#2 Aug 4, 2010
sally wrote:
NowNOW people just look around and see what has happened to milwaukee.Higher taxes & more profit. for the higher up's .I say cuts for EVERYONE them ( maybe ) every one can make a livening. Just look around milwaukee/we use to have rex nord/allis chambers/catipiller/ac spark plug/delco/delphi/ jewl/treasure island/& many more that we in wisconsin have lost & no replacing means NO job's Where are all of the congressperson WE THE PEOPLE PUT IN OFFICE.it seens to me this not an election year & tre to get a hold of any of these people .INPOSSABLE or no return call ,PEOPLE wake up,(people will revolt evenly.)
HA!! It's the frikkin Liberals and their idiotic policies that are driving businesses out of Wisconsin. Worst Governor ever Doyle is job killing machine, and once his term is up that clown is out of here literally. He isn't going to stick around and pay taxes to the state he singlehandedly destroyed. You'll find him sunning that bald dome of his in some low tax state down south. You want jobs back in the state? QUIT VOTING FOR LIBERALS!!! If you're unable to do that then don't vote at all.
Ex-Hogger

Austin, TX

#3 Aug 4, 2010
After 7 Harleys, I'm finished. I have tried to tell myself to "buy American" only to buy inferior motorcycles that constantly need maintenance. And expensive at that. Every time I walk in to a dealer for service I get hit with 300-500 bucks. I get no help from anyone at Harley when I have questions and I have given up after an Ultra Classic with the "new" 6-speed that doesn't work properly. I sold it and all my gear is to be sold as well. Time to move on to better products.
Harley needs to figure out that people are tired of the huge expense for junk. Ford has it nailed now after years of the same and could teach the boys in Milwaukee and thing or two.
Ex-Hogger

Austin, TX

#4 Aug 4, 2010
Nobody buys a 2-wheeler thinking about politics, one way or the other or even at all. You can blame anyone you want for the downfall and I'm only speaking of a single company in this case, without knowledge of some of the others in Wisconsin. But the fact is, nobody is buying the crap Harley makes and that is the reason they are in dire straits. Sales are down almost 25%. The folks that have bought an HD in the past are getting older and the younger riders are not interested in spending 20 grand for junk that needs constant work. The HD "culture" was fun, for sure but not at that price--a realization that took me too many years to wake up to. More and more "diehard" HD riders are switching and that is fact as pointed out by rider stats.
Geno

Providence, RI

#5 Aug 4, 2010
Move production to Texas. We're numero uno for business. Low taxes and business incentives. Either way, I'll keep riding my Triumph.
dcn

Des Plaines, IL

#6 Aug 4, 2010
And labor unions are involved...right? Sorry Milwaukee...kiss Harley goodbye!
Ken

Edmonton, Canada

#7 Aug 4, 2010
Union labor is too costly and not competitive in the global economy.
Dale M - Texas

Dallas, TX

#8 Aug 4, 2010
I thought the Fonz rode a Triumph on HAPPY DAYS
N2ishon

Midland, MI

#9 Aug 4, 2010
Obama needs to remind workers that the gravy train is going to get thinner, and they need to compete for jobs with the illegals. OH, but he is too busy fighting with AZ to stop the inforcement of immigration law.
michael sherman

Milwaukee, WI

#11 Aug 4, 2010
Dear Keith,
As a concerned employee and stock holder of Harley-Davidson Motor Company I was wondering if management has considered hiring a consulting firm to streamline not only the factory operations but also the roles, responsibilities, pay compensation and benefit levels of top management. Surely to compete as a world class manufacturer in a global market, consideration should be given to this thought to benefit all stakeholders. I would suggest that this supports the concept of (ONE TEAM ONE DIRECTION).
To compete with other global companies that is, Honda, Toyota, ECT, we should be looking at staying competitive at all levels of the corporation. This would show we are truly one team one direction serious about competing in a global market and being a world class organization. Remember we compete in a global market not just the USA. To survive into the future bringing these costs in line with other world class manufactures, before mentioned, this will help guarantee a strong future for Harley-Davidson Motor Company and all of its stakeholders.
Concerned Stakeholder
Jim Vlasicak

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Aug 4, 2010
I was part of a management team that dismanteled Clark Equipment Company and moved it's major manufacturing plants, in the early 80's, from Michigan to North Carolina and Brazil. The towns in Michigan never recovered, manufacturing jobs were lost by the thousands, support businesses closed and the general quality of life in this state dropped significantly --- alomst 30 years ago.

I would gladly go to Milwaukee and give free speeches on my personal experiences of watching vitals communities dry up like so many grapes into raisins. And maintaining tourism in Milwaukee is not the answer -- PERIOD
mark broegman

North Highlands, CA

#13 Aug 4, 2010
well as a former 58 yr resident of Mich, i watched the big 3 go down the road because of union demands, lionel trains moved out of mich, life savers candy moved out of hollond mich. I have been a proud owner of 5 harleys, all i hope is they dont move to out of the lower 48, I have a 2000 dyna fxdx wish i could up grade but its like buying a house to by a new harley
maha

Milwaukee, WI

#14 Aug 4, 2010
Tocsic hit the nail on the head with these tax leeching liberals! And ex-hogger, I had A similar experience with some polaris 4-wheelers, and after A few un-answered letters I'v realized it's all about corperate greed! I hear suzuki makes excellent 4-wheelers!
York Resident

United States

#15 Aug 4, 2010
Sounds like they are trying to play the same crap they did here. They so lovingly decided to stay and keep half to three quarters of the jobs here in York, but it took an act of the Governor to make it happen. These guys are idiots. Actually, no, they are smart, they know how to get the most out of the local governments so they can get the big paychecks. Bleed and area dry and then move onto the next town with the biggest tax breaks and largest incentives. Maybe if they took the time to learn how to actually run a company, then they would be earning money a more legit way.
TO BAD FOR DAVIDSON

Chesterfield, MO

#16 Aug 4, 2010
why is it harley has higher proffits than ever before and now they want even more so why not threaten the people who made the company so much money!it is this reason that their products do not hold any value any more. i regret buying and will not recommend their products to anyone . JIMto
N2ishon

Midland, MI

#17 Aug 4, 2010
Wisconsin for the Cheeseheads! Industry and jobs must go!

With H-D gone, the liberals and greenies will have another victory parade in their Lexus and BMW's. Thanks for the political subsidies.
lobonature

Pompano Beach, FL

#18 Aug 4, 2010
I have a HD and every time I have it serviced it runs in excess of 400 dollars for a stinking tune up. I have been riding HD for years and the quality has gone down hill from the first time till now. Do not take me wrong I still love my HD but they have to do something about the prices . I waited for 3 months for a fender to be painted black .This is what everybody is screaming about .
chris

Portage, WI

#19 Aug 4, 2010
[24QUOTE who="Dale M - on HAPPY DAYS[Texas"]I thought the Fonz rode a Triumph /QUOTE] triumph or bsa
Madman

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Aug 4, 2010
What better place to relocate than....
South Dakota?
A natural (maybe not too far from Sturgis?) one of the few US states left without a personal income tax, and the kind of business-friendly place that might give H-D good reason to sink $$$ into R&D plus quality control.
Instead of last century's life-blood sucking collectivist "labor" unions!
Junebug

Fayetteville, NC

#21 Aug 4, 2010
Sadly its another example of a union forcing a company to move. Unions provide a service to people and that fact cannot be argued, but they also can cause this kind of change. If you put to much fertalizer on a plant, it will die. If you allow a union that your a member of to demand to much and allow for no fexibility, then the company dies or makes drastic changes like Harley is talking about. The auto industry has always been a greedy group, and that includes Harley unions. Make it so people make a descent earning, don't demand all of them become millionaires. The only ones who make the money is the owners of the businesses and the unions attached to them. No different in todays politics. Time to take back whats ours and get rid of the trash. Time for Harley workers to kick out the union like thousands of Americans are going to kick out Congress and Senate members in this next election. WAKE up and take back your work places!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milwaukee County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Right-wing destroying Wisconsin's proud history (Mar '14) Mar 29 Almost amish 8
News Identities of bodies found after fire not revealed Mar 21 JJackPro 1
News Walker blasts Clinton's use of personal email Mar '15 Responsibility 10
News County Supervisor wants to rename Red Arrow Park Jan '15 Tory 4
News 14 arrested after protest spills onto freeway Jan '15 MLK 4
News Rainey to propose naming Red Arrow Park after D... Jan '15 Justsayin 1
News Nate Hamilton: ' We deserve justice. Justice is... Jan '15 bob 3
More from around the web