Middlesex County Sheriff Jame B. DiPa...

Middlesex County Sheriff Jame B. DiPaola, an easy victor in the Nov. 2 election, has decided to r...

There are 13 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Nov 21, 2010, titled Middlesex County Sheriff Jame B. DiPaola, an easy victor in the Nov. 2 election, has decided to r.... In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Middlesex County Sheriff James V. DiPaola had it all lined up. He was going to take advantage of a loophole in state law allowing him to collect a $98,500 annual pension on top of his sheriff's salary of $123,000, starting next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Hank Hill

Burlington, MA

#1 Nov 21, 2010
Does anyone buy this "sleepless night attack/ of conscience" horse$hit? Even all of his ball-lickers will have to admit what happened. He got his hand caught in the cookie jar, which is no surprise. The surprise is that he got a hand as fat as his in the cookie jar in the first place.
Ned Shimmellfinney

Burlington, MA

#2 Nov 21, 2010
So the Sheriff is resigning? I recall many Sheriff's Office employees in the past who "resigned" to be spared embarrassment and or prosecution after getting caught dirty. This scheme of the Sheriff's was legal although slimy and he has done far slimier things in the past and gotten caught but never "resigned". His scheme is now public record so he was not spared any embarrassment. The only other plausible explanation then is that he was caught really dirty this time and will be spared prosecution by resigning. That of course is only speculation, highly probable and funny, but admittedly still only speculation. I hope that the Lowell Sun will follow this story closely and keep it's readers informed. I'd bet that this is gonna get good.
bbb

Lowell, MA

#3 Nov 21, 2010
About timeeeeeee....What a crook, he needs to go join Honest John Mcgonagle at club fed...Two law enforcement officials who wanted to be wise guys
Ned Shimmellfinney

Burlington, MA

#4 Nov 21, 2010
He's not leaving until Jan 6th? I wonder if he'll burn up some sick time. You'll need a doctor's note Jimma.
Pseudonym

Burlington, MA

#5 Nov 21, 2010
Headline in the Boston Globe today:
"A cunning scheme, a spark of conscience Middlesex County Sheriff James DiPaola had hit the daily double — a sly but legal way to collect his state pension and salary all at once. Then, after a dark and sleepless night, he decided to just say no."

Ordinarily, I would refrain from commenting on a such a sad issue as Sheriff Dipaola's betrayal of the public trust but I feel compelled. This "daily double" as the Globe called it is not something that is triggered by circumstance like tax breaks for corporations, it was a loophole that the High Sheriff needed to search out. He needed to purposefully satisfy certain requirements in order to qualify for it and he went so far as to go without pay for months to ensure for himself a big payday at the end. This "spark of conscience" that the Globe writes about was somehow absent from the Sheriff for months until he was found out and threatened with being outed. The very idea that the Globe and his Excellency the Governor would praise this man for his phony contrition after getting caught is despicable. I defy any one of those who have read this story to try to defend him.
Ned Shimmellfinney

Burlington, MA

#6 Nov 21, 2010
Are those paper shredders I hear?
Ned Shimmellfinney

Burlington, MA

#7 Nov 21, 2010
Hank Hill wrote:
Does anyone buy this "sleepless night attack/ of conscience" horse$hit? Even all of his ball-lickers will have to admit what happened. He got his hand caught in the cookie jar, which is no surprise. The surprise is that he got a hand as fat as his in the cookie jar in the first place.
I heard he failed the fitness test.
bridgeboy

Tyngsboro, MA

#8 Nov 21, 2010
Wow, thanks for shafting the taxpayers only 98,000 a year instead of close to 200,000. You are so kind. I'm sick of government employees and government in general complaining about how terrible it is for them and how much more money they need to operate. Get a nice cushy hack government job and put in 20 years then sit back and live off the taxpayer. Us common folk busts their a$$ for 50 years, pays for their own health care and is lucky if they have anything left over for retirement. Government at all levels keep coming back to the regular people whining and crying poor. Public sector folks haven't had raises in like 10 years. Wages have gone down considering all the benefits reductions and inflation. It's crap like this that just makes me sick when you hear about a guy who's doing the decent thing by only collecting 98 grand a year. It's time for a revolution folks. This is the crap that Europe is going through. It's unsustainable and unfair. Don't let these creeps have any more money.
Ned Shimmellfinney

Burlington, MA

#9 Nov 21, 2010
bridgeboy wrote:
Wow, thanks for shafting the taxpayers only 98,000 a year instead of close to 200,000. You are so kind. I'm sick of government employees and government in general complaining about how terrible it is for them and how much more money they need to operate. Get a nice cushy hack government job and put in 20 years then sit back and live off the taxpayer. Us common folk busts their a$$ for 50 years, pays for their own health care and is lucky if they have anything left over for retirement. Government at all levels keep coming back to the regular people whining and crying poor. Public sector folks haven't had raises in like 10 years. Wages have gone down considering all the benefits reductions and inflation. It's crap like this that just makes me sick when you hear about a guy who's doing the decent thing by only collecting 98 grand a year. It's time for a revolution folks. This is the crap that Europe is going through. It's unsustainable and unfair. Don't let these creeps have any more money.
The pension is just the tip of the iceberg, stay tuned.
Brad Bailey

Haverhill, MA

#10 Nov 21, 2010
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall......Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
disgusted

Dracut, MA

#11 Nov 22, 2010
its pretty sad that all this came out AFTER he ran for re election, and surprise got re elected. Why didnt he file this sooner, or have his supposed "sleepless night" and let the better man for the job win? Funny he files Oct 28th, with elections right around the corner. the pulls this crap after he wins? Good Job voters of Massachusetts.....
Tony

Northborough, MA

#12 Nov 22, 2010
So where is Deval's pension reform?
Susan

Dracut, MA

#13 Nov 22, 2010
Something is happening behind the scenes!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlesex County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police arrest Edison man wanted for alleged agg... May '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 2
News Hazlet Man Charged With Prostituting Underage G... Apr '16 Robbie k 4
News Colonia Middle School student charged in sexual... (Apr '11) Apr '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 7
News Appeal due for Melanie McGuire (Sep '09) Feb '16 patty 88
News 'Prostitution' Massage Parlors Found Near East ... (Dec '15) Feb '16 Anthony Scarpuzzi 78 5
News Man Sentenced to 42 Years For Union County Murder Feb '16 SHERI 1
News Celebration To Light The Edison Memorial Tower (Oct '15) Oct '15 ckrvarma 1
More from around the web