N.J. may renew effort to extradite fu...

N.J. may renew effort to extradite fugitive Joanne Chesimard

There are 1 comment on the The Jersey Journal story from Apr 22, 2009, titled N.J. may renew effort to extradite fugitive Joanne Chesimard. In it, The Jersey Journal reports that:

Three decades after convicted cop killer Joanne Chesimard's escape from prison, New Jersey is making a renewed effort to extradite her from Cuba, Attorney General Anne Milgram said today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jersey Journal.

Joiseydude

Piscataway, NJ

#1 May 18, 2009
Assata Chesimard was convicted of killing a cop in the infamous Shootout on the Pike back in 1973. I am not sure that the conviction was proper (that it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that she was THE killer). However, I think she was at least an accomplice to murder (she was a member of an organization dedicated to "armed revolution", she was freed from jail by the illegal actions of an organized group, she had been wanted in other cop killings, or at least questioned about other group members' activities in those killings. I think of her as a villain and as a sort of dark hero. A villain, because she killed people; a villain, because she was in a group that killed policemen, a villain, too, because she was one of the characters involved in plunging the US into a period of "malaise". A dark hero, however, because she fled from adversity and managed to reach a safe harbor, and a dark hero in other ways, too (she aimed to change the world, after all, a common activist goal). Assata Chesimard's mistake (or, at least, her group's mistake) was to use violence to get her way. And that is what's unacceptable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlesex County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Appeal due for Melanie McGuire (Sep '09) Jun 27 stormylife 67
News State of New Jersey v. Teresa Laliberte (Nov '07) May 31 OLD AQUAINTANCE 12
News South Amboy bans feeding feral cats (Aug '07) Mar '15 Roy 11
News Myles Hartsfield's situation will continue to b... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Perth Amboy Irish 4
News Sayreville officials defend move to scrap footb... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Rantz Mohammitz 1
News Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office releases 9... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Test 2
News Chris Christie Blasts Monroe Mayor Richard Pucc... (Aug '13) Nov '13 Carol Slack 2
More from around the web