Motorist dies after collision with lo...

Motorist dies after collision with logging truck

There are 32 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 12, 2008, titled Motorist dies after collision with logging truck. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A motorist died this morning after a collison with a logging truck.in Middlesex County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Retired

Saluda, VA

#21 Nov 13, 2008
thetruthalwayscomesout wrote:
This intersection has a long history of accidents, and people have died here before. When will our Board of Supervisors and/or VDOT realize that they need to be diligent on getting a traffic light there? How many people have to die?
Funny how they realized this was a bad intersection last weekend during the Oyster Festival, with State Police out there and cones in the road so that no one could turn in that street. I guess i's ok to ear mark it for the drunks, but not for the regulars who travel the roads on a daily basis.
My thoughts and prayers are with this young woman's family, and the driver of the truck as well.
First let me extend my condolencies to the family. This is a terrible accident, and they occur every day.
And every day people with good intentions blame the intersection. Folks, I travel that intersection every day, sometimes two or three times a day. Theres no need for a traffic light there, visibility is good both ways, nothing obliterates ones views of the north bound lane. A traffic light in my opinion would only create a problme that is just not there. Its easier to run a traffic light than a stop sing, and the stop sign is very, very visible.
Any time a drivers mind wanders from driving they are prone to having an accident. Keeping your focus on what you are doing is the best advice for safe driving.
May God Bless her family.
Retired

Saluda, VA

#22 Nov 13, 2008
hip wrote:
those log trucks are a menace,are they under a different set of rules??how many people have to die before they do something about them.my prayers to the families involved....
With all due respects, If your automobile had to undergo all the safety inspections that truckers have to have it would be likely that your auto would not be on the road.
These trucks are pulled all the time all over the county and state by DOT for inspections, and I applaude them.
A creeper is pulled from the troopers car (DOT), and they inspect every inch of that truck. If Brakes are off 1/32 (air Brakes) you will not be allowed to proceed until a registered truck mechanic comes and adjusts the brakes. If more than two running lights are out, you get a ticket, and the cost is humongous.
This log truck has probably been inspected by DOT 4 or 5 times a year.
Having said that, it is a fact that 80,000#'s cannot be stopped on a dime, so if you want to live, don't pull out in front of an 18 wheeler.
I saw the accident just after it occured. It was obviously not the fault of the truck driver and probably not his truck. His brakes were locked up some distance before the collision, and there is little evidence that he was speeding.
My condolences to the family of this young lady, and may God Bless.
Communist Clam

United States

#23 Nov 13, 2008
If 80,000# can't be stopped on a dime, why is it truckers are among the worst tailgaters?

“OMG quit fussin!!!”

Since: Jan 08

Poq. and Proud of it

#24 Nov 13, 2008
Obamalamadingdong wrote:
Driving with your lips pressed against a cell phone is more dangerous than any intersection.
We all know what your lips are frequently pressed against.
Retired

United States

#26 Nov 14, 2008
Communist Clam wrote:
If 80,000# can't be stopped on a dime, why is it truckers are among the worst tailgaters?
Thats a good question, and they should not---period. Neither should they drive as fast as they do on the interstate.
Stoned Trucker

Virginia Beach, VA

#27 Nov 14, 2008
Communist Clam wrote:
If 80,000# can't be stopped on a dime, why is it truckers are among the worst tailgaters?
We can stop on a dime if we use the car in front of us to help us slow down.

“OMG quit fussin!!!”

Since: Jan 08

Poq. and Proud of it

#28 Nov 15, 2008
Retired wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a good question, and they should not---period. Neither should they drive as fast as they do on the interstate.
While some drivers do drive like idiots, you need to realize that a lot of the truckers are governed at 55mph-meaning THEY CAN'T DRIVE THAT TRUCK FASTER THAN 55MPH! I suppose that everyone wants to blame the trucker-in this case hauling logs-and that is not going to bring her back. Everything that we use is brought in some way, shape, or form by a trucker. Think about that the next time you are sitting on the john. While you are reaching over to get the Charmin-I hope you think highly of the driver who got it to the store for you. Without the truckers, we would be in the same predicament as being without paper. Both end up rather stinky. Stop the blame game and let this woman rest in peace-leave the truckers out of it.
Retired

Saluda, VA

#29 Nov 17, 2008
knowin yo business wrote:
<quoted text>
While some drivers do drive like idiots, you need to realize that a lot of the truckers are governed at 55mph-meaning THEY CAN'T DRIVE THAT TRUCK FASTER THAN 55MPH! I suppose that everyone wants to blame the trucker-in this case hauling logs-and that is not going to bring her back. Everything that we use is brought in some way, shape, or form by a trucker. Think about that the next time you are sitting on the john. While you are reaching over to get the Charmin-I hope you think highly of the driver who got it to the store for you. Without the truckers, we would be in the same predicament as being without paper. Both end up rather stinky. Stop the blame game and let this woman rest in peace-leave the truckers out of it.
I'm a truck drivers best advocate. Like many auto drivers, many truckers drive too fast for the conditions. A few truckers are governed, but only a few.
Truckers in the USA are outstanding, and I thank them every day for moving our goods.
Children 1st

Glen Allen, VA

#30 Nov 17, 2008
With the advancement of GPS and "other" tracking equipment, companies have begun policing their truck drivers. I know a few that have been reprimanded for "arriving" at their destination too "quickly". I subscribe to the notion that our truck drivers are a bit more concientious today than say 10 years ago and definitely better than 20 years ago.
Stoned Trucker

Virginia Beach, VA

#31 Nov 19, 2008
Children 1st wrote:
With the advancement of GPS and "other" tracking equipment, companies have begun policing their truck drivers. I know a few that have been reprimanded for "arriving" at their destination too "quickly". I subscribe to the notion that our truck drivers are a bit more concientious today than say 10 years ago and definitely better than 20 years ago.
I get a bonus for delivering early. If you car numbnuts would get out of the way I'd get a lot more bonuses.
donkey estonkey

Hampton, VA

#32 Nov 19, 2008
Newport News Boater wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...I hope you never suffer the loss of a loved one due to a tragedy such as this. Ever heard of karma?
One of the great three Operas??? After Aida, and LaBohemme???
DL S

Decatur, GA

#34 May 30, 2010
OB-No sense, no feeling

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Middlesex County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News N.J. may renew effort to extradite fugitive Joa... (May '09) Aug 5 deequeens93 2
News Carteret cop charged with assaulting teen durin... Jul '17 jeepman 1
News Perth Amboy fire chief dies, prosecutor's offic... Jun '17 Dont matter 2
News N.J. cop accused of beating teen after chase pl... Jun '17 jeepman 1
News Appeal due for Melanie McGuire (Sep '09) Apr '17 Just saying 92
Any Bi/Gay Teens In Central/Middlesex County/Ea... (Nov '16) Nov '16 swingingbothways 1
Middlesex County Mugshots and Criminal Arrest ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Logan 2
More from around the web