Metcalfe Fiscal Court courts adventure

There are 18 comments on the Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY story from Mar 9, 2011, titled Metcalfe Fiscal Court courts adventure. In it, Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY reports that:

Metcalfe County magistrates are giving some thought to bringing adventure tourism to the county by possibly creating an all-terrain vehicle trail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, KY.

edmonton

Edmonton, KY

#1 Mar 13, 2011
what the hell???

trail where??
maybe

Horse Cave, KY

#2 Mar 13, 2011
edmonton wrote:
what the hell???
trail where??
really whats wrong with the one scott gentry has we need other things besides this! hope the magistrates vote no. how about a miniature golf for these kids to have something safe to do.
Putt-Putt

Glasgow, KY

#3 Mar 13, 2011
maybe wrote:
<quoted text> really whats wrong with the one scott gentry has we need other things besides this! hope the magistrates vote no. how about a miniature golf for these kids to have something safe to do.
Putt-Putt would certainly bring tourists from far and wide. When my family considers an area for a weekend getaway from now on the place must have putt-putt. Research that idea. I think you should present that idea. Pure genius.
Just saying

Glasgow, KY

#4 Mar 21, 2011
LOVED the part where it was stated that the thing would LOSE money for a couple years. Now- that is progress! And gee- wonder what land would be bought for this- and how much the land would cost?
No More Boondoogles

Horse Cave, KY

#5 Mar 22, 2011
You have to look at who is involved. Whose land county money will be spent on. Who will be in charge. I think when you find the answer to these questions you will understand.
Just saying

Glasgow, KY

#6 Mar 22, 2011
No More Boondoggles- if your comment was to me- my comment was meant to be VERY sarcastic. I am NOT in support of a trail or anything else until the residents get to vote on how our money is spent. And bridges that don't wash out, decent roads, water, etc- there are more important things than an ATV trail. And yes- once we find out who the landowner is and who will be in charge- the darkness will disappear and the light will shine- but it will be too late. But hey- with what was spent for land at Sulphur Well- this could be a drop in the hat. It is up to our magistrates to stand up and say NO until ALL questions are answered and the residents know Who, What, Where and How much!
Land for sale

Horse Cave, KY

#7 Mar 23, 2011
do you think b. bell or g.wilson will have a adventure tourism next door to them with all the noise and the trash that goes with it, on wait bet they have some land to sell us.
truth is the truth

Glasgow, KY

#8 Mar 24, 2011
the rich get richer , the politics get dirtier and deeper pockets, and the poor get their taxes raised.

WELCOME TO THE AMERICAN DREAM "the metcalfe county way"

the last big deal where over $180,000.00 was given away publicly by judge and magistrates who were all in agreement and was caught and reported by state auditors office.

who do you think got their pockets filled??? heard ones building a new house... surprise....

so how many do you think will make on this deal.

just imagine how much county will pay for the land if they paid $25,000.00 just for 2 acres in sulfer well.
Just saying

Glasgow, KY

#9 Mar 24, 2011
Truth is the Truth- hopefully this "brilliant" idea of the trail is just like what one does after eating pintos- passing gas or in this case- bad ideas. Surely the magistrates will NOT go along with it. While it was just a suggestion- it could come to be a nightmare. There is so much more needed in this county- it is amusing enough without ATV trails. Businesses, water, roads etc would all bring IN monies. There is an excellent building, simply falling apart, by the parkway that could be used for so many things- IF someone would something with it or allow something to be done with it. Individuals have asked about purchasing the building- nope- the county wants it for something yet to be determined. And I agree about the Sulphur Well debacle-but no one seems to care about that brilliant move! Few probably even know to this day what happened there and what it cost. Some may say that "state or federal" money was used to purchase the land- last time I checked WE the people are the one's that "donate" monies to the state/fed via taxes; so it is OUR money that made that purchase.
Resident

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Mar 24, 2011
is the land own by the BELLS
obama

Russell Springs, KY

#11 Jun 14, 2011
They should concentrate on fixing up the parks we currently have, has anyone seen the sad state the county lake and park is in? It is in bad shape and getting worse! Grass not mowed like it used to be, buildings in disrepair or falling down, furniture/garbage just thrown out lying around, why isn't the county taking better care of it? The only reason Bell is wanting a 'park' is so him and his buddies can have a place to go and ride and get drunk! Just wanting the county to pay for them a place to ride! Hell, they already ride everywhere now, why pay for a place for them?
dean

Russell Springs, KY

#12 Jun 14, 2011
Tony Harris rides his up Hwy 68 all the time all the way to Pink Ridge, you would think the 'chief' of police wouldn't blantly violate the law like that! He should be ticketed like everyone else! If you rode thru the city like that he would give you a ticket for something he does all the time himself. What a hypocrite! Real 'chief of police' you have there garrett!
Concerned Voter

Glasgow, KY

#13 Jun 16, 2011
A great idea for the county. Something that will bring people to the county. We need some growth in the county.

“Yeah I'm nuts!”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#14 Jun 19, 2011
Concerned Voter wrote:
A great idea for the county. Something that will bring people to the county. We need some growth in the county.
i agree and most of those posting so far have personal gripes with our county officials. The idea of a atv trail system is one i have thought about for several years after buying a side-by-side atv for my wife and i to "hike" with since her hip no longer allows her to hike. There are many questions and concerns and details to be addressed and resolved before anything becomes a reality. Calling it a "boondoggle" is negativity that is one of the biggest problems in this county..too many negative and whiney people unwilling to see the potential this idea can provide. The fiscal court was wise to table the idea so it can be researched and proposed in a clear and complete manner addressing all concerns and resident issues. To those who would like a miniature golf course, there is clearly no viable support for such a venture to be successful in a county that has no draw for outsiders or tourists to come here. Tourism IS a great, and very feasible way to bring visitors to our county and for them to spend their money here! We have some awesome natural beauty in parts of the county that if developed carefully can benefit the existing businesses in the county and create opportunities for new small business. NOW is the time to make these kind of ideas a reality.

“Yeah I'm nuts!”

Location hidden

#15 Jun 19, 2011
obama wrote:
They should concentrate on fixing up the parks we currently have, has anyone seen the sad state the county lake and park is in? It is in bad shape and getting worse! Grass not mowed like it used to be, buildings in disrepair or falling down, furniture/garbage just thrown out lying around, why isn't the county taking better care of it? The only reason Bell is wanting a 'park' is so him and his buddies can have a place to go and ride and get drunk! Just wanting the county to pay for them a place to ride! Hell, they already ride everywhere now, why pay for a place for them?
Your "personal" whining about Mr Bell sounds like sour grapes to me. I agree however that the county park is in bad shape. There are many issues that need to be addressed. Making your concerns heard is the answer, not whining.

“Yeah I'm nuts!”

Location hidden

#16 Jun 19, 2011
Resident wrote:
is the land own by the BELLS
I don't think any land has been selected. You could offer your land to be leased, just like anyone else. Buying land for this purpose won't happen. It is clearly too expensive. At least Mr Bell and Greg Wilson are thinking of how to improve the economical health of our county. Unlike so many who just complain and don't do much.
Fact

United States

#17 Jun 19, 2011
spudstacular wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think any land has been selected. You could offer your land to be leased, just like anyone else. Buying land for this purpose won't happen. It is clearly too expensive. At least Mr Bell and Greg Wilson are thinking of how to improve the economical health of our county. Unlike so many who just complain and don't do much.
You would be mistaken to think that Bell and Wilson would not stand to profit hugely from this. I they want a park then why not let them use their own money. Bell owns plenty of land in this county to build a park for atv's. It is a not personal gripe against one person or another. It is the whole Idea of using tax payer money for a business that may cost us all. Your way of thinking leads me to believe maybe the county needs to purchase a gas station and we could have a county run fuel stop. Maybe the county needs to build a clothing store. Do you see were most people think the county should not be involved directly in private business.

“Yeah I'm nuts!”

Location hidden

#18 Jun 20, 2011
Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be mistaken to think that Bell and Wilson would not stand to profit hugely from this. I they want a park then why not let them use their own money. Bell owns plenty of land in this county to build a park for atv's. It is a not personal gripe against one person or another. It is the whole Idea of using tax payer money for a business that may cost us all. Your way of thinking leads me to believe maybe the county needs to purchase a gas station and we could have a county run fuel stop. Maybe the county needs to build a clothing store. Do you see were most people think the county should not be involved directly in private business.
i dont recall anywhere it being said that taxpayer money would be spent..you are jumping to conclusions without any real information..your thinking(if its actually thinking) that i think the county should open any business is idiocy. i dont see "private business" doing a damn thing in this county. just because the Bells or Wilsons own property or have wealth is irrelevant... i guarantee that in your way of thinking if you could personally profit you would jump all over it. after all..the "government" is each and every one of us who live in this county. if "we" don't actively involve ourselves in the process of how "we" spend our money then we have no real right to bitch. just like those who don't vote but gripe about who gets elected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Metcalfe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Metcalfe County Music Thread (Jul '14) Jan '15 Musikologist 2
lisa creason Nov '14 ifiwantedutoknowi... 1
News Metcalfe County Drug Arrests (Nov '14) Nov '14 just bcuz 1
Busted (Oct '14) Oct '14 furious 1
News Terri Shoemaker, 56, Edmonton, KY (Mar '14) Mar '14 friend 2
costello family (Feb '14) Feb '14 Good times 1
Metcalfe County and School info. (Jan '11) Sep '13 MCMS Hornet 6
More from around the web