Randolph will head City School District

Randolph will head City School District

There are 11 comments on the Commonwealth Journal story from Jun 23, 2011, titled Randolph will head City School District. In it, Commonwealth Journal reports that:

Boyd Randolph may find himself needing to get accustomed to working in a new build-ing later this year, but the mission of his career will remain the same.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Commonwealth Journal.

Concerned Parent

Corbin, KY

#1 Jun 26, 2011
This is very disturbing. Randolph was quite an inadequate teacher in Casey County and as a principal at Southwestern H.S. he did nothing to help enhance the quality of education. Test scores made great leaps in progress at Southwestern until his tenure there. His concerns were with the athletics in the school and keeping the coaches and their staffs happy. He never supported any school activity other than athletics. Did you see him attend a school event other than a ball game? It seems that he rides the coattails of the work done of the person before him in a position and then moves on when his inablilities start showing.

I hope that the city school system can survive this catastrophic decision.
Danny

Canton, OH

#2 Jun 26, 2011
Thats Somerset Independent School System, its all about the athletics, he is a outsider still, hope he proves me wrong but i doubt it.
teacher

Ford City, PA

#3 Jun 26, 2011
I worked under Mr. Randolph at SWHS for four years and I think he will be great for Somerset. SWHS test scores continued to improve under his tenure there. He will stress both academics as well as athletics.
Buddah

United States

#4 Jun 27, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
This is very disturbing. Randolph was quite an inadequate teacher in Casey County and as a principal at Southwestern H.S. he did nothing to help enhance the quality of education. Test scores made great leaps in progress at Southwestern until his tenure there. His concerns were with the athletics in the school and keeping the coaches and their staffs happy. He never supported any school activity other than athletics. Did you see
him attend a school event other than a ball
game? It seems that he rides the coattails of the
work done of the person before him in a position
and then moves on when his inablilities start
showing

I hope that the city school system can survive this catastrophic decision.
Completely false. SWHS became one of the top performing schools in the state during his tenure. Anybody can find that out by checking the KDE website.

If I were as misinformed as you, I'd be concerned too.
Concerned Parent

Corbin, KY

#5 Jun 29, 2011
If you look at the scores before he took the reigns at SWHS, the momentum of the scores had already made great strides of improvement under J. Fraley. She did the footwork and turned SWHS into a rewards school while Randolph was still at Casey Co. When you do your research, please look at the whole picture. "Teacher", you are not the only one who taught there. I was also there under both Fraley and Randolph. I disagreed with Fraley on many items, but will give credit where it is due. After a few years with Randolph at
SWHS, why did the scores not continue the noticible gains?
Concerned Parent

Corbin, KY

#6 Jun 29, 2011
Recheck the scores. A school that did not meet state goals, such as SWHS, but maintained itself in the "progressing area" is NOT A TOP PERFORMING SCHOOL IN THE STATE, schools that actually meet their goals are top performers. When Fraley took the helm, SWHS was at risk of the state coming in and taking over. She got the scores to improve to get out of that danger, then Randolph came in and scores stagnated, no continuation of enough improvement to reach the meeting goals====always in the progressing area.
Buddah

United States

#7 Jun 29, 2011
You are flat out wrong.

I encourage anybody who cares to check the KDE website, where you can check scores for yourself.
Concerned Parent

Corbin, KY

#8 Jul 1, 2011
I rechecked myself. I think you should also. SWHS has never been in the "green" area on the scoring table. They can not get out of the yellow. Please just check for yourself instead of going by what an administrator has said in a meeting or what someone has told you. One or two areas might show improvement, but the overall school's score from year to year is a yellow rating. The address below is the link to archived school scores.

http://applications.education.ky.gov/schoolre...
thinking

Maysville, KY

#9 Jul 1, 2011
When schools put sports before academics it will fall within the same BS that has been going on for years. Now how many of those sports players become top professionals of the trade from these schools, how many end up in jail at some point of their lives. SHS has a track record of the last few years of their athletes in trouble with the law, just this year, how many made the news of drugs, weapons, graffetti, and damage to property not only in the school, but in the community as well. Why this county wants to place these students above their goals in athletics while not giving all students the EDUCATION deserved. Sooner or later it is a mockery on the state level of educators. When will the school systems in this county put the effort in being the top in the state with Education and make this community and county PROUD of the Education System. Repeating the same mistakes along with economic hardships of finding a job for many in this county, it may be time to change the emphasis of Sports and concentrate of giving all students the best education of a FUTURE. Stupid is as Stupid does and it shows in Pulaski County on the State and National Level of Education.
Anna34

Franklin, OH

#10 Aug 14, 2011
I think it's a mistake you making comments about Boyd Randolph that you obviously can't prove. All just assumptions. So where are you? On some forum complaining about this when it has absolutely no validity to it. Go do something with yourself. instead of slandering people. Get the facts! He's doing something right!
sonny

Canton, OH

#11 Aug 14, 2011
He is a outsider and will never make it thru Somerset politics in the school system, you get a few of the right parents mad at him and he is gone, money and sports talks, thats all that matters at Somerset, always has and always will, and yes i am a jumper grad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Metcalfe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many females are pills heads May '15 fun time 1
Metcalfe County Music Thread (Jul '14) Jan '15 Musikologist 2
lisa creason (Nov '14) Nov '14 Anonymous 1
News Metcalfe County Drug Arrests (Nov '14) Nov '14 just bcuz 1
Busted (Oct '14) Oct '14 furious 1
News Terri Shoemaker, 56, Edmonton, KY (Mar '14) Mar '14 friend 2
costello family (Feb '14) Feb '14 Good times 1
More from around the web