Drug offenders could do less time in ...

Drug offenders could do less time in prison under new bill

There are 25 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Feb 24, 2010, titled Drug offenders could do less time in prison under new bill. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

Drug users in Colorado may be doing less time in jail and more time in rehab if lawmakers can pass a bill that was introduced at the Capitol Tuesday with widespread support from Democrats, Republicans and district attorneys alike.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jessica

United States

#1 Feb 24, 2010
Its about time the government started working towards the greater good!
Barbara

Greeley, CO

#2 Feb 24, 2010
I absolutely agree with this bill. I think the long term sentences do not help the addicts!!! I know this from experience with a family member. He was out of prison, doing very well and he has been screwed by the system in COLORADO! He was doing great, he has Hep C and was being treated at the VA Hospital. They were giving him narcotics for pain. Pier One rehab did not want him to participate so his PAROLE OFFICE took him out of the Pier One Program and Allowed him to take narcotic pain relievers. Needless to say, The System Failed. He got addicted again and is looking at a long term sentence. I wish they would allow him to go to a Rehabilitation that treats you like an addict and not a number...HE NEEDS HELP!
A Wife

United States

#4 Feb 24, 2010
It's been a long time comming for them to open thier eyes! The addicts need sustance abuse treatment, they don't get that when they are locked up! I don't care what DOC says about thier "programing" it is not a reality, they don't exist! And shouldn't thier be more drug dealers locked up and less drug addicts! In a DOC setting it is easier for the addicts to get the drugs while "inside" than it is on the streets, they only have to walk a couple doors down and they have what they want! I hope that this passes and our "justice" system starts helping those people they have chosen to house and release back into the word with no more tools than they went in with, just so they can sit on mandetory parole waiting for thier next stay in a government funded hotel!!
Chelta

United States

#5 Feb 25, 2010
I believe this is a much more effective way of dealing with addiction which is a sickness. From my experience through my addiction prison or jail creates a criminal rather then helping those with a real sickness!
Chelta

United States

#6 Feb 25, 2010
Incarceration creates a situation for addicts making it more difficult to get employment. We are not criminals. Most are doing drugs because they are going through difficult times incarceration makes life more difficult creating more issues for one to deal with ultimately making a user more dependent on chemicals to get through daily life. We need treatment giving information and giving those the tools in life to rise above addiction and becoming aware of the deep wounds of life healing and working through them rather then making new deadlier issues to hide from with chemical use. Please become an advocate for rehab and life changes instead of prison and training to become real criminals and convicts.
Having the consequences for having a disease the same as being a criminal only makes our drug war larger and more intense. It is just like treating the symptoms and side effects rather then the actual virus.
department of hard labor

Denver, CO

#7 Feb 25, 2010
This is just plain idiotic.

Just to save money they want to let these folks get out of jail so they can commit more crimes against people and property.

If anything, they ought to get more time.

Otherwise, Colorado ought to just pardon everyone who is in prison and really cut costs!

I have never seen such gutlessness and stupidity.
Chelta

United States

#8 Feb 25, 2010
I also disagree that "drug dealers" deserve stiffer sentencing,(depending on how you choose to play God and label addicts!) A good portion of the time people are trying to pay for their own addiction. How do you decide who are the real threats and who are the addicts? The real threats for "drug dealing" are normally people that don't use however they are selling drugs and making profit off of those of us with the disease of addiction!
Chelta

United States

#9 Feb 25, 2010
department of hard labor wrote:
This is just plain idiotic.
Just to save money they want to let these folks get out of jail so they can commit more crimes against people and property.
If anything, they ought to get more time.
Otherwise, Colorado ought to just pardon everyone who is in prison and really cut costs!
I have never seen such gutlessness and stupidity.
Isn't it amazing the ignorance of those with other ways of dealing with those issues! Maybe we should imprison all fat people because they can't control how much they put in their mouth. Make it illegal for them to wear tight clothes or go out in public because they are repulsive to some of us. Or start putting people that smoke in prison because they are addicted to nicotine. Or those people that think its ok because they have a prescription. How about those that are on prescriptions for anxiety and stress because they can not control their own issues! Educate yourself and quite the denial stage of your own issues and how you deal with them. How about sex addicts lets put them in prison! Talk about ignorance and idiotic statements coming from those that are uneducated on these issues!
Jeff L

Denver, CO

#10 Feb 25, 2010
The narrow minded short-sighted comment by 'department of hard labor' compelled me to comment but then I read Chelta's reply. I couldn't have said it better.

Why is it social conservatives always go to the extreme? "Otherwise, Colorado ought to just pardon everyone who is in prison and really cut costs!" Are you out of your tiny little mind department of hard labor?

Attitudes like that are one of the biggest threats to society. I'm sorry you don't have the foresight to see outside of your tiny little world but it would really serve you well to actually try and exhibit one iota of intelligence.
department of hard labor

Denver, CO

#11 Feb 25, 2010
you are both idiots.

chelta, do you have some lesbian girl friends in prison? and you miss them that much?

and jeff, are all your homo lovers behind bars where you can't get to them?

what a bunch of losers. you want to let all these derelicts out so they can steal and otherwise victimize society and prey on their own friends and familias?

better that we declare open season on these parasites.
Anonymous

United States

#12 Feb 25, 2010
department of hard labor wrote:
you are both idiots.
chelta, do you have some lesbian girl friends in prison? and you miss them that much?
and jeff, are all your **** lovers behind bars where you can't get to them?
what a bunch of losers. you want to let all these derelicts out so they can steal and otherwise victimize society and prey on their own friends and familias?
better that we declare open season on these parasites.
8.5% of all American family's have or have had a person of addiction with'in their family. So you may have or will most likely have a person of addiction in your family so I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgement.
Anonymous

United States

#13 Feb 25, 2010
or better put 78% of all American family's
Chelta

United States

#14 Feb 25, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
8.5% of all American family's have or have had a person of addiction with'in their family. So you may have or will most likely have a person of addiction in your family so I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgement.
No as a matter of fact I,(Chelta) have never been to prison, I am a recovering addict as a matter of fact a product of prop 36 in California! Your facts are actually wrong the percentage is much higher then that for addicts and alcoholics. My question is are you a lesbian alcoholic that gets by the system because drinking is legal and do you just destroy your family and don't remember? or, are you an individual that has nobody and has had to do everything on your own, or possibly someone that has inherited money and is in the fairytale life that was handed to you on a silver platter. You obviously are not proud of who you are nor does what you say have much validity being you are anonymous. The facts are you are uneducated and have no clue what addiction is about. Where do you get off on personal attacks. Your probably still old school and believe "tough love" is how to handle things to straighten others out. Which by the way pushes people toward addiction. Get your facts straight and validate your opinion with something besides a view with your rose colored glasses that world must be viewed in. Fact is everybody is addicted to something, drugs may not be it but, we all have crutches. Drug addiction is a disease the side effects are what you are focusing on. LETS FOCUS ON THE ACTUAL VIRUS that is crippling society. You probably voted for Obama too... However you probably wont admit it cause your anonymous! I can't speak for Jeff however you appear as another that is in the small world he refers too. I will pray for you!
Chelta

United States

#15 Feb 25, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
or better put 78% of all American family's
I apologize anonymous, MY REPLY WAS ACTUALLY TO OUR FRIEND AT THE DEPARTMENT OF HARD LABOR
Chelta

United States

#16 Feb 25, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
or better put 78% of all American family's
I again apologize I replied to the wrong post. Idiots like that aggravate me and I couldn't wait to respond. Thank you for your positive input

Since: Dec 09

Littleton, CO

#17 Feb 25, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
I'm a CAC III (certified addictions counselor) in the state of Colorado and have lobbied for this for many years. Incarcerating an addict/alcoholic does nothing but put their addiction on hold and in many cases doesn't even do that as they are able to obtain drugs while in prison.
If you give them education and treatment for their addiction their chances of long term success are greatly increased. Even if the addict goes through education/treatment unwilling they will without doubt get something out of it that someday will and can save their life.
Its about time and I hope it passes
Anonymous, I completely agree. I went to a counseling center for alcoholism, and I got off of drugs more than 13 years ago (THANK GOD.) I worked for the same center with a CAC II, and an MPC, LAC, LPC...Might be wrong about the exact letters, but I dealt with them very closely and they helped me immensely. Had I gone to prison instead of getting into rehabilitation, I think it would have just put off the continuation of my addictions. Good for you, and thank you for the work you do for those of us who need it.
department of hard labor

Denver, CO

#18 Feb 25, 2010
Put 'em in jail and throw away the key.

They get out and steal and rob hard working people to feed their habits.

Better to treat them like they do such people in iran. never thought i'd agree with the ayatollah, but he was right on this issue.
A Wife

United States

#19 Feb 26, 2010
There is a difference between the drug users and the drug dealers, where would the drug addicts be getting thier drugs if there were no drug dealers???? Hello!!!! I am married to an addict and he has never crossed the line of selling or manufacturing! And he is now one of those people takeing up part of YOUR tax money because he was not given the correct treatment when he was on probabtion paying for it himself! So now you are paying for his meals! By the way he is not in trouble for stealing, violence, drugs or anything like that! It is STUPID people like "hard labor" that want to keep letting people sit in a cell while they get no treatment and are put back into society worse than when they went in! I hope that one day you have my shoes on "hard Labor" then maybe you wouldn't be so ignorant about what is going on in the real world! Also to make it a little more clear for you my husband has been employed makeing over 25 an hour for over 17 years, I have been employed in my field for over 11 years, instead of us supporting our family which we can do no problem, he is being supported by your tax $ in DOC and I and the 3 kids we have are being supported by your tax $ for medical and food! What do you think smarty pants? Sound like a good solution to a fixable problem!
Chelta

Como, CO

#20 Mar 4, 2010
department of hard labor wrote:
Put 'em in jail and throw away the key.
They get out and steal and rob hard working people to feed their habits.
Better to treat them like they do such people in iran. never thought i'd agree with the ayatollah, but he was right on this issue.
Its unfortunate that we have such shallow minds in the dept of hard labor. Maybe thats part of the employment problem. How is people like you are employed by the government? Exactly what do you do there? We're not paying you to have an opinion that has no validity or intelligence!
Chelta

Como, CO

#21 Mar 4, 2010
Funny the district attorney was against it as well until he went out of town and his son was busted in his home having an underage party that was crashed by law enforcement. Amazing how the perspective changes when its you or yours that now has to pay the consequences for the things you know nothing about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mesa County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for family Mar '16 billyjean1980 1
News Taxpayers to foot bill for Jam's security (Feb '15) Feb '15 kcterpstra 1
News Mesa DUI drivers had highest blood-alcohol levels (Sep '14) Sep '14 mr smith in a bmw 3
News Indicted Sen. Steve King Collects More Per Diem (Sep '14) Sep '14 Richies Cool Man ... 1
News French gov't regroups after far right victory (May '14) May '14 United Clowns 15
News Cops: Sister tries to bust into jail for brother (Apr '14) Apr '14 Petal Power 3
News Group defends second amendment rights at luncheon (Feb '14) Feb '14 ala 1
More from around the web