Bird watchers: Survey tracks eagles i...

Bird watchers: Survey tracks eagles in Southern West Virginia

There are 17 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Mar 20, 2009, titled Bird watchers: Survey tracks eagles in Southern West Virginia. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

As Brian Hirt prepared to launch his canoe into Bluestone Lake, a flash of white could be seen rising from near the surface of the lake's Bluestone Arm.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

So you say

Roanoke, VA

#1 Mar 20, 2009
This is a great article. I have seen a couple of eagles as well at the lake. It's an incredible site. Here is just another example of how wonderful Summers Co. is. When we stop to think about the immence natural beauty and resources that surround the city, we can see how we have failed to live up to the rest of the county. If Hinton could capture the ability to be an extension of all the surrounding beauty and build on it, it would be like a small paradice. I don't think we have ever really realized what we have and appreciated it. Here is at least one place to start for the new administration.
so right

Ithaca, NY

#2 Mar 21, 2009
You are so right! We have a wonderful place here for growth, it just needs nurturing!!
Anna

United States

#3 Mar 21, 2009
The Bald Eagles fly through Hinton quite often. I have seen them several times from my deck. You can see them perched on the Sycamore branches behind DQ. We got some okay pics. (I have a much nicer camera now) Hinton is lovely. I love it here. Hinton has great potential. I'll gladly offer my time and energy to making a difference for this beautiful town. Let's do it.
So you say

Roanoke, VA

#4 Mar 21, 2009
Anna wrote:
The Bald Eagles fly through Hinton quite often. I have seen them several times from my deck. You can see them perched on the Sycamore branches behind DQ. We got some okay pics.(I have a much nicer camera now) Hinton is lovely. I love it here. Hinton has great potential. I'll gladly offer my time and energy to making a difference for this beautiful town. Let's do it.
It would be nice if some pics of the eagles, the big grey bird (drawing a blank on the name here, and some other wildlife were posted. The more I think about what Summers has to offer, the more excited I get. The bad thing is--that ppl outside the county see this and wonder why in the heck we don't do something with it. We also have ppl from outside the county coming to Summers to dump trash. That can be seen on Leatherwood as well as other back roads. Locally, everyone needs to see that the city and county is getting cleaned up and made more attractive to those passing through. The way things look sticks in their minds--remember--first impressions. Again, business owners/property owners need to be made to take pride in their properties and see that they are attractive and clean in appearance. Hinton is quaint and very unique by being nestled between the rivers and below the mountains. We are very blessed.
Anna

Clear Spring, MD

#5 Mar 21, 2009
The big grey bird is probably the Great Blue Heron, we also have a smaller Green Heron that is spectacular. The Mergansers are in town. They are so beautiful. I've seen so many wonderful things here. It's warming up so lets all break those cameras out. Let's show the world how awesome it is here.
That's sad about Leatherwood and the garbage. We definitely need to have something done about the shoddy looking places.

Since: Mar 09

Rocky Mount, NC

#6 Mar 22, 2009
You can see them at the dam all the time. I've seen a great blue heron at the dam, it was right behind me one day when I was fishing.
Anna

Oakland, MD

#7 Mar 22, 2009
I posted those pics, like I said they're not great, but hey, you can tell what it is. lol
sand

Beckley, WV

#8 Mar 22, 2009
eagles are suppose to ,or have in the past nest on the island across from D.Q.

“Respect, listen, learn”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#9 Mar 22, 2009
Anna wrote:
The big grey bird is probably the Great Blue Heron, we also have a smaller Green Heron that is spectacular. The Mergansers are in town. They are so beautiful. I've seen so many wonderful things here. It's warming up so lets all break those cameras out. Let's show the world how awesome it is here.
That's sad about Leatherwood and the garbage. We definitely need to have something done about the shoddy looking places.
Hi Anna,

Are the Mergansers the Common Merganser or the Hooded Merganser? I'll be in the Summers Co area in a couple of weeks, and would love to see them, if you don't mind sharing where you've seen them.

Thanks!
Anna

United States

#10 Mar 22, 2009
It's definitely the hooded ones. I saw them on the otherside of the river going toward the falls. I hope they're still here when you come this way. np
Nostalgic

Humble, TX

#11 Mar 22, 2009
They are hooded mergansers. You can also see buffleheads and herons all down the New to Sandstone Falls. There are golden eagles in the area at times as well, but they're rarer than the bald. I did the eagle count in January, and we watched two bald eagles sitting in a tree below the dam for two hours...

“Respect, listen, learn”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#12 Mar 22, 2009
Anna and Nostalgic...
Thank you both for the information. I've never seen eagles or mergansers in the wild, but I've seen many herons in the area above the Hawks Nest dam. It sounds as if we may want to bring the kayaks with us.:-)
beautiful

United States

#13 Mar 23, 2009
We often see an eagle behind sugar mills restaurant. He's out mostly early in the mornings.
YEA

Beckley, WV

#14 Mar 23, 2009
Anna wrote:
The Bald Eagles fly through Hinton quite often. I have seen them several times from my deck. You can see them perched on the Sycamore branches behind DQ. We got some okay pics.(I have a much nicer camera now) Hinton is lovely. I love it here. Hinton has great potential. I'll gladly offer my time and energy to making a difference for this beautiful town. Let's do it.
DQ is my fav. place to watch the Eagles!
Summers is very beautiful. Sandstone Falls is agreat place to see the beauty here!
CarlaM

Beckley, WV

#15 Mar 23, 2009
Does anyone know if there is a store or wildlife muesam (that looks like it's spelled wrong) down by the falls? I haven't been down there for years. If not, I think that would be a great place for one. I'm sure the falls get enough tourists, fishermen, and local campers to keep a small place in business during the season. I think they could even pinpoint the place where "Lassie" went down the falls to draw more attraction to the area.
Beauty

United States

#16 Mar 23, 2009
Summers County has some of the best scenery in the US. We are also blessed with an abundance of wildlife. The eagles are beautiful. You should visit Sandstone Falls if you haven't been there recently. It does not have a store or museum but walkways have been built.
JDW

Beckley, WV

#17 Jan 21, 2015
counted 14 today, Jan. 21, 2015. 10 at Bluestone Lake, 2 mature at Bellpoint ( from the Bluestone river nest), and 2 mature at the Brooks nest site. 2 at Brooks mated at 10:27 this morning. Should be some eggs by months end

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mercer County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Princeton mayor resigns following DUI accident Oct 19 RICH SLAVE 10
News Mercer County Drug Dealer Sentenced to 15 Years... (Jan '10) Oct 16 Amy 71
News Bluefield man charged after branding woman Sep '17 DJ Wolfman Mike 12
unjust decisions (Mar '17) Mar '17 lynn 2
News Manhunt continues (Jul '14) Mar '17 lovelace 3
News Mother sues to stop Bible classes in West Virgi... (Jan '17) Mar '17 all of you are trash 5
House on bluefield ave (Feb '17) Feb '17 Needtoknow 1
More from around the web