Davis hopes to lead Mercer schools to...

Davis hopes to lead Mercer schools to Top 10 status

There are 12 comments on the The Advocate Online story from May 26, 2012, titled Davis hopes to lead Mercer schools to Top 10 status. In it, The Advocate Online reports that:

Last month, the Board of Education unanimously hired Davis as the school system's permanent superintendent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Advocate Online.

Comrade Babbitt

Moscow, Russia

#1 May 26, 2012
Mercer County Schools. Famous world-wide for the autistic kid stuffed in a duffel bag.

In Soviet Russia, duffel bag stuffs YOU!
Idontno

Danville, KY

#2 May 26, 2012
Go Dennis Davis! Good Luck to you and staff!
Truthfully

United States

#3 May 26, 2012
Comrade Babbitt wrote:
Mercer County Schools. Famous world-wide for the autistic kid stuffed in a duffel bag.
In Soviet Russia, duffel bag stuffs YOU!
You apparently did not hear the correct story. Lot more to that story!
Upset Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#4 Oct 1, 2013
This goes to show that I don't really go to topix very often. But really, are you kidding me. I had a meeting with the man last year about the way they are teaching these kids. At the time my child was in the third grade, he can't read, spell or write and they passed him to the fourth grade. Here's what Mr. Davis told me, " I used to teach the 9th grade and 80 to 90% of my students couldn't read." Then he sat back in his chair and laughed and said, " that's why we say around here thank God for Mississippi." I didn't think that was funny. Are parents aware that they don't teach spelling any more in 4th grade. How can you learn to read and write if you can't spell?
Sid

Lawrenceburg, KY

#5 Oct 1, 2013
Upset Mom wrote:
This goes to show that I don't really go to topix very often. But really, are you kidding me. I had a meeting with the man last year about the way they are teaching these kids. At the time my child was in the third grade, he can't read, spell or write and they passed him to the fourth grade. Here's what Mr. Davis told me, " I used to teach the 9th grade and 80 to 90% of my students couldn't read." Then he sat back in his chair and laughed and said, " that's why we say around here thank God for Mississippi." I didn't think that was funny. Are parents aware that they don't teach spelling any more in 4th grade. How can you learn to read and write if you can't spell?
flag on your comments. I have had a few discussions with mr. Davis, not once did he talk like you stated. Your full of poop!
Another Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#6 Oct 1, 2013
Upset Mom wrote:
This goes to show that I don't really go to topix very often. But really, are you kidding me. I had a meeting with the man last year about the way they are teaching these kids. At the time my child was in the third grade, he can't read, spell or write and they passed him to the fourth grade. Here's what Mr. Davis told me, " I used to teach the 9th grade and 80 to 90% of my students couldn't read." Then he sat back in his chair and laughed and said, " that's why we say around here thank God for Mississippi." I didn't think that was funny. Are parents aware that they don't teach spelling any more in 4th grade. How can you learn to read and write if you can't spell?
Davis needs to do something. The school system flunked the K-prep state test. That's right. We scored a 66%. That is an F. The state says that our school needs improving. If only Mercer County would give more attention to academic and less to sports we might be able to give our kids a fighting chance. High school freshmen can't read? Shocking.

Are you sure that Davis said that? That is pretty far out.
George

Lawrenceburg, KY

#7 Oct 1, 2013
The school report card is needs improvement, but making progress. The school is moving forward, our teachers and supt are doing there best. It's time for parents to be more involved, some are, some are not. If the shoe fits wear it. The high moved to proficient all other buildings improved with the exception of MCIS. Glad the board decided to close lex st and move grades 3 - 5 together for next year. I look forward to seeing more growth. Stay positive folks.
get facts

Harrodsburg, KY

#8 Oct 1, 2013
Another Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Davis needs to do something. The school system flunked the K-prep state test. That's right. We scored a 66%. That is an F. The state says that our school needs improving. If only Mercer County would give more attention to academic and less to sports we might be able to give our kids a fighting chance. High school freshmen can't read? Shocking.
Are you sure that Davis said that? That is pretty far out.
While I don't dispute that the test scores need to improve. I do challenge your opinion on the emphasis on academics INSTEAD of athletics. I think if you will do some research, you will find that schools that have strong athletic programs traditionally also do well in academia.. contrary to popular belief. For one if kids are proud of their school they tend to put more effort into it. One not only can go hand in hand with one another it SHOULD!
Another Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#9 Oct 2, 2013
get facts wrote:
<quoted text>While I don't dispute that the test scores need to improve. I do challenge your opinion on the emphasis on academics INSTEAD of athletics. I think if you will do some research, you will find that schools that have strong athletic programs traditionally also do well in academia.. contrary to popular belief. For one if kids are proud of their school they tend to put more effort into it. One not only can go hand in hand with one another it SHOULD!
When there is a shortage of text books, a football coach drawing a salary for a pretend job, a sports complex and football kids going away for a week of football camp and basketball players going out of country and the school system scoring very low on the state test something is wrong.

You say that athletics and academics should go hand in hand. It looks like you are right. We have a very bad football team. We have hired several hard nosed coaches since Harrodsburg consolidated with Mercer and except for the first year, football is a loser.

Boyle County can beat us like a drum in both academics and athletics.

No more excuses, please. Fix the academics.
Mercer co Scottie

Richmond, KY

#10 Oct 2, 2013
To the upset mom who's child was having difficulties in school, ever you ever thought about working with your child your self? Teachers can't do it all. Usually, students who are successful in school have parents that are very proactive and take an interest in helping their child put their best foot forward. We all have to work together!
Upset Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#11 Oct 2, 2013
I go to every meeting. I help them with their homework. To take spelling and cursive writing off the table is ridiculous. When I asked them why, they told me that the state mandated what they taught. I went to Frankfort and was told that it was the school that chose their own curriculum. If I didn't have interest in my children's education why would I be up every day trying to find a way to help them with what they need to know through life. This school system has been a nightmare to me for the four years that I have been involved. No one seems to care. Sid, I was sitting across from him in his office when he told me that. I don't lie. Ask him yourself. How else would I have known he taught 9th grade? I don't know this man personally. The part about Mississippi, he said it was a regular saying around the schools. Their are other things going on now that will eventually come out and I am telling all parents, you will be shocked and disgusted and its something every parent should know. I am not at liberty to speak of it right now. I have been trying to find a way to get concerned parents in front of the board and don't know how to go about it. If there are concerned parents out there please let me know. I hold nothing personal against teachers in general, just the way my kids are being taught.
To Mercer co Scottie, What my kids do know, I have taught it to them. I am constantly teaching them. Homework is not the problem, them not knowing how to do it is. I hope I'm not the only one who cares.
LOL

United States

#12 Oct 3, 2013
Upset Mom wrote:
I go to every meeting. I help them with their homework. To take spelling and cursive writing off the table is ridiculous. When I asked them why, they told me that the state mandated what they taught. I went to Frankfort and was told that it was the school that chose their own curriculum. If I didn't have interest in my children's education why would I be up every day trying to find a way to help them with what they need to know through life. This school system has been a nightmare to me for the four years that I have been involved. No one seems to care. Sid, I was sitting across from him in his office when he told me that. I don't lie. Ask him yourself. How else would I have known he taught 9th grade? I don't know this man personally. The part about Mississippi, he said it was a regular saying around the schools. Their are other things going on now that will eventually come out and I am telling all parents, you will be shocked and disgusted and its something every parent should know. I am not at liberty to speak of it right now. I have been trying to find a way to get concerned parents in front of the board and don't know how to go about it. If there are concerned parents out there please let me know. I hold nothing personal against teachers in general, just the way my kids are being taught.
To Mercer co Scottie, What my kids do know, I have taught it to them. I am constantly teaching them. Homework is not the problem, them not knowing how to do it is. I hope I'm not the only one who cares.
. Great post the school needs to Focus more on the 3 R'S less sports !!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mercer County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mercer Co. Horse Owner Faces Animal Cruelty Cha... (Jun '09) Oct '16 Charley Horse 1,224
donna sanford Sep '16 Jessica 2
Mercer County Schools (Sep '15) Sep '16 Scammed the Syste... 2
seas family Sep '16 Concerned 1
Terry Griffin Sep '16 Justaskig 1
Join FB group "Chemtrails Kemtucky" Jun '16 Lucy 1
Pleasant Hill Music Thread Jun '16 Musikologist 1
More from around the web