County CEO quits

Full story: The Ukiah Daily Journal

Mendocino County CEO Tom Mitchell resigned suddenly Wednesday after a closed door session with the Board of Supervisors.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ukiah Pariah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

First, John Ball gets fired. Now Mitchell leaves, purportedly under fire. Why not eliminate the position entirely, and let the Dictators(er, supervisors) run the show.
Mema

San Lorenzo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Ukiah Pariah wrote:
First, John Ball gets fired. Now Mitchell leaves, purportedly under fire. Why not eliminate the position entirely, and let the Dictators(er, supervisors) run the show.
It's because they are not educated enough to know what they are doing, so they have to hire someone with an education who has had the opportunity work somewhere outside this county.

People really need to sit in on a board meet someday. You will be shocked at the utter stupidity in the air.
There goes one again

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Mema wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because they are not educated enough to know what they are doing, so they have to hire someone with an education who has had the opportunity work somewhere outside this county.
People really need to sit in on a board meet someday. You will be shocked at the utter stupidity in the air.
Actually, Colfax is very highly educated, having home-schooled his children all the way to his alma mater, Harvard. He's book smart, but street dumb. One problem is his opposition to the idea of having a CEO and the resultant Pygmalion Effect.

Another problem is Colfax's and Smith's greed. Let's not forget that it was Colfax and Smith who got rid of John Ball over his refusal to screw the people of Mendo county out of more money for their travel budgets. Ball had the audacity to remind them of the laws which make it mandatory for such raises in travel allowances to be conducted in open session, in full view of the public eye. It cost us a carload of money to buy out Ball's contract and send him packing down the road.(The new CEO, Mitchell, then gave the Stoops their fifty-thousand dollar travel raise).

In the mean time they have laid off and cut the hours of the County's line workers and demanded "across-the-board" salary cuts for everyone but the upper echelon of management. Your want to "trim the fat" in the budget? Start at the top. You don't need much of and education to figure that out.
mendo land

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Our board of supervisors need to all be recalled.
They do not have the county at heart, they all seem to be more interested in linning their pockets, and fighting with anyone who gets in their way.
Arnsworth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

mendo land wrote:
They do not have the county at heart, they all seem to be more interested in linning their pockets, and fighting with anyone who gets in their way.
Not all of them, but Smith and Colfax for sure. Colfax is already toast, having publicly decried his "lousy pay" and how much he loathes his job. Hopefully, the coastal fog will lift long enough for the fogeaters to find a viable alternative to the greedy, self-serving Smith.
No doubt

Ukiah, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

There goes one again wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Colfax is very highly educated, having home-schooled his children all the way to his alma mater, Harvard. He's book smart, but street dumb. One problem is his opposition to the idea of having a CEO and the resultant Pygmalion Effect.
Another problem is Colfax's and Smith's greed. Let's not forget that it was Colfax and Smith who got rid of John Ball over his refusal to screw the people of Mendo county out of more money for their travel budgets. Ball had the audacity to remind them of the laws which make it mandatory for such raises in travel allowances to be conducted in open session, in full view of the public eye. It cost us a carload of money to buy out Ball's contract and send him packing down the road.(The new CEO, Mitchell, then gave the Stoops their fifty-thousand dollar travel raise).
In the mean time they have laid off and cut the hours of the County's line workers and demanded "across-the-board" salary cuts for everyone but the upper echelon of management. Your want to "trim the fat" in the budget? Start at the top. You don't need much of and education to figure that out.
Truth be told ol'Mitchell is making wise decision for his life
I imagine the board didn't like hearing what he had to say - the truth

I'll bet we continue to see more stupidity from the board in the weeks/months to come
I mean we do have a budget to get in order

Can't hardly wait to see how much more our local government thinks they can cut the front line and continue to bolster the top

Not even using bold common sense
It's like it went out the window right after greed moved in

But enough of that, the problem lays in our lazy election of these people - the same reason Walmart is this HUGE evil empire = YOU!!!
Days Javue

Joshua Tree, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Here we go again! Just like John Ball, Mitchell had the wevoes to make good (although very unpopular) recommendations to the Supervisors, like reducing the elected officials' salaries and not giving the clerk Kristi Furman a $23,000 raise and a job-security contract. The supervisors don't like being told what is good for the county when it doesn't meet their political and personal agendas. I say recall the whole board too!!!
Fer Sher

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Days Javue wrote:
Here we go again! Just like John Ball, Mitchell had the wevoes to make good (although very unpopular) recommendations to the Supervisors, like reducing the elected officials' salaries and not giving the clerk Kristi Furman a $23,000 raise and a job-security contract. The supervisors don't like being told what is good for the county when it doesn't meet their political and personal agendas. I say recall the whole board too!!!
Is the raise and job security contract to Furman to keep her happy and quiet about the affair with Delbar?

What other reason could there possibly be?
Minnie

Antigua and Barbuda

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

I guess that it is time for Beltrami again. Nobody with any wherewithall is going to last long in this county.
Time for a house cleaning. Why can't this county put some people in office that are not self serving.
No Sence

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

No doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth be told ol'Mitchell is making wise decision for his life
I imagine the board didn't like hearing what he had to say - the truth
I'll bet we continue to see more stupidity from the board in the weeks/months to come
I mean we do have a budget to get in order
Can't hardly wait to see how much more our local government thinks they can cut the front line and continue to bolster the top
Not even using bold common sense
It's like it went out the window right after greed moved in
But enough of that, the problem lays in our lazy election of these people - the same reason Walmart is this HUGE evil empire = YOU!!!
Someone needs to put some signs up, YOU ARE TOO BLAM!!
If you don't stop the evil empire!! YOU ARE TOO BLAM!! If you don't make the County leaders stop there evil ways!! YOU ARE TOO BLAM!!
Been around

Mill Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Minnie wrote:
I guess that it is time for Beltrami again. Nobody with any wherewithall is going to last long in this county.
Time for a house cleaning. Why can't this county put some people in office that are not self serving.
How about Jim Anderson down at the retirement office? He could probably handle both jobs.
costcobob

Mill Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

No Sence wrote:
<quoted text>Someone needs to put some signs up, YOU ARE TOO BLAM!!
If you don't stop the evil empire!! YOU ARE TOO BLAM!! If you don't make the County leaders stop there evil ways!! YOU ARE TOO BLAM!!
Blam, Blam Blam.....your dead.
ukiah newbie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

costcobob wrote:
<quoted text>
Blam, Blam Blam.....your dead.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

The few times I watched BOS meetings, Mitchell did say unpopular but necessary things and also got confusing directives and also was seemingly asked to do the impossible. JMO. Good luck to him!

No criticism of the supervisors -- that group is a many-headed hydra. Amazing they agree on anything. People voted for them for a reason, just that reason is not the same in all districts. There is natural and understandable conflict between them.
UCu

Ukiah, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

Keep McCowen. The others need to go. Vote out all the incumbents this year, the rest will get the message.
Fletch

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

All the BOS should resign and get some people without an agenda that favors them.
No Sence

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

UCu wrote:
Keep McCowen. The others need to go. Vote out all the incumbents this year, the rest will get the message.
The he ll with that. Get rid of all of them. ALL OF THEM, AND START OVER!!!
same ol BS

Healdsburg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

Mema wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right on, it is a joke what these Board Members do they cannot make a decision.
same ol BS

Healdsburg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

Days Javue wrote:
Amen, I agree lets get rid of all of them.
same ol BS

Saint Helena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

UCu wrote:
Good one John.....
You could check it out

Ukiah, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2010

mendo land wrote:
Check your facts. Three are taking a voluntary 10% pay cut. They are not all trying to line their pockets.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••