Pomeroy police chief: Mayor biased against gay officer

Feb 8, 2013 Full story: The Columbus Dispatch 30

The hiring of an openly gay officer on the Pomeroy Police Department and the mayor's reported slurs against him have plunged the Ohio River village of about 2,000 into a political uproar.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#1 Feb 9, 2013
Just got in from vacation. "Oh" my God what has the Mayor of Pomeroy done? A public official saying out loud these kind of statements! There has to be something wrong with Mayor or Ex-Mayor of Pomeroy! I hope that the Police Officer sues her for eveything she has and will have. Gay Rights Group gets involved there will be hell to pay! This should have been addressed the minute she spoke up about it.
pomeroy

Point Pleasant, WV

#2 Feb 9, 2013
for one he cant sue her legal work has already been looked up so done for that issue now the next there is for a chief that is paid by the village why would you jump to the news crew knowing the issue could have been done in a better matter which he did not!! do you mr mark will also will be dealt with by the state of ohio that i have already called and you better live with in ten miles of pomeroy pd which you are not and i checked that today so you also better watch what you do as well as your butt buddy jackie lol you two think your so slick but your not and mary will be watching you all to im sure most of the town will and i will also be at your meeting monday so you and paul better not speck out when you dont have the right to at a meeting like you all have all eyes or on you all what you did was wrong and you know it and what mary did was wrong also but you had no right to attack her like that so i hope you all sleep better now
truth

Point Pleasant, WV

#3 Feb 9, 2013
The McAngus name will be TRASH after this as it should be.
lost

Sardinia, OH

#4 Feb 9, 2013
pomeroy wrote:
...you mr mark will also will be dealt with by the state of ohio that i have already called and you better live with in ten miles of pomeroy pd which you are not and i checked that today so you also better watch what you do ...
Do you even know where he lives? Because, he does live within ten miles. Get your facts straight before you say stuff. Stupid trolls.
pomeroy

Point Pleasant, WV

#5 Feb 9, 2013
lost wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know where he lives? Because, he does live within ten miles. Get your facts straight before you say stuff. Stupid trolls.
let the state be the judge of that
Willie

Gallipolis, OH

#6 Feb 10, 2013
Proffit may live within 10 miles but its in another state. And I applaud you for calling the state. Well done.
Profitt is to blame

Gallipolis, OH

#7 Feb 10, 2013
lost wrote:
<quoted text>
Still lives in West Virginia. And sticks and stones may break our bones.... Names will never hurt us! lol Stupid Troll? How original. Grow up, open your eyes. WE THE PEOPLE, NEED TO TAKE OUR TOWN BACK! Either way, Profitt is not helping our town. He needs to go. Clear out the trash and get some good, honest people. GEESH.
truth

United States

#8 Feb 10, 2013
Wow mark what a all time low for you you really are a slimy piece of s--t can't get your way set up a 80 year old women to get rid of her and use the twink as your pawn hope you enjoy your last days don't worry I'm sure your brother Tom will hire you to clean the kennels at the pound when your ass gets ran out lol can't wait
Really this is important

Newark, OH

#9 Feb 10, 2013
Okay it seems from the post that a lot of little hatred is running rampant down this way. It seems like Pomeroy Ohio has a lot of fans in WV. It appears that people want to nitpick everything that goes on, and won't let people do their job.
The mayor made a huge mistake not only with her words, but with her thinking. This isn't 1940's- if she is saying things about someones sexual orientation, I'm guessing there is other statements being made that are not correct or acceptable.
I respect the person on the police department who had to endure these comments. I respect that they didn't comment on what happens in the former Mayors bedroom themselves. I'm sure it was the first thought that came into that officers mind. Because what happens in peoples bedrooms really influences the job they do, how they act, what they do when they leave the house, and how they are as a person.(Besides serial killers, but I'm guessing we don't have to worry about that with either party).
I would think that in 78 years someone would have taught people some manners. Manners of what is important in life and what really matters. Obviously in this case, there might have to be some retooling to go back to the basics where we don't have to embarrass their momma who was supposed to teach those things to their children.
Well good luck to Pomeroy and all the surrounding towns in another state that feel so impacted by what happens in this city. I know that WV has nothing to be worried about their culture, city, budget, citizens rights, welfare of impoverished children, and funding for schools. It's important to know exactly how many miles a person lives from a building. I applaud you for your insight and careful planning in your life that all the worlds problems are fixed and now we can concentrate on what really matters.
Good luck to those who are truly impacted by the actions of the mayor and realize that you're doing a job that many others wouldn't.. and this spotlight is not necessary.
If anyone wants to belittle me, badger me, or measure where I live to other things- my email is mustang1969lover@aol.com.
sounds like

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Feb 10, 2013
well a queer is a queer. or as in thesociety norm now days the word gay is used.... Society has lost all of its morality as a whole... people are un able to speak as they wish... actually freedom of speech has been lost...She should actually be able to speak her feelings which she has done... Seems she has lost her freedon of speech...Which over all , if you look at pomeroy, middleport and across the river It is very much drug infested..and by the way if she has lost her right to freedom of speech we all have. Except for the cancer of the communitys.
web hunt

Point Pleasant, WV

#11 Feb 10, 2013
TV News 8/11 in town now just seen!
pitbull

Athens, OH

#12 Feb 28, 2013
Positively True wrote:
Just got in from vacation. "Oh" my God what has the Mayor of Pomeroy done? A public official saying out loud these kind of statements! There has to be something wrong with Mayor or Ex-Mayor of Pomeroy! I hope that the Police Officer sues her for eveything she has and will have. Gay Rights Group gets involved there will be hell to pay! This should have been addressed the minute she spoke up about it.
its 2013 and the biggest problem in this county is the racsism cause of color or what u choose in your bed room thats sad i knew a boy in high school who killed himself cause he could tell his judgemental nieve raised ignorant parents what he felt in his heart a love of another young man if ya ask me id rather see my son walk by and say hi than to walk by his grave to say hi im gay openly and proud of it too being gay doesnt measure the heart within its how u treat people and help one another and do for others out of gods love only not for bragging rights or praise or cause god will pay you back ive seen and heard gay bashing from youngsters then they duck in the woods to meet their lovers this town is a closed minded ignorantly jugdemental soar and you cant tell me you all are staight not possible some of you have tendancies inquiries you just are afraid to try i dont believe one should force gayness on anyone thats wrong as far as the officer goes he should sue by all means but then we all know where his job will be and where will they find the body thats how things are sadly done here its currupt as hell you violated his rights period sew and either get the unbalanced out of power or run like hell when you win cause these people are messed up
kellerman

Huntsville, OH

#13 Feb 28, 2013
sounds like wrote:
well a queer is a queer. or as in thesociety norm now days the word gay is used.... Society has lost all of its morality as a whole... people are un able to speak as they wish... actually freedom of speech has been lost...She should actually be able to speak her feelings which she has done... Seems she has lost her freedon of speech...Which over all , if you look at pomeroy, middleport and across the river It is very much drug infested..and by the way if she has lost her right to freedom of speech we all have. Except for the cancer of the communitys.
You are correct that she can call someone queer, but that doesn't give her to right to terminate ones employment bases on her ignorance that gays are people too and should have the same respect and rights that she takes advantage of being straight. Half of her resources wouldn't go to taxes if her spouse were to expire. When your gay you don't get all of these advantages of hospital visits, inheritance rights etc. This is the issue that the Gays have and I personally don't feel that this is to much to ask for. I rather have the Gays getting than rights than feeding and clothing some of these misfits in society who depend on the taxpayer for their rent, food, medical and clothing from cradle to grave. They pay for all of these folks but get nothing in return. I know that this decision will have to be made by the Supreme court, we can't let politicians and religious zealots make the decisions on society. If your religious than respect your church and stop trying to prevent others from enjoying their right to live and be with who they please. This mayor should of been smarter and it's her fault that she is no longer doing the job that she was elected to do.
meigs

Logan, OH

#14 Feb 28, 2013
Omg! Give it a rest already!!!
Stay in the shadows

Point Pleasant, WV

#15 Feb 28, 2013
kellerman wrote:
<quoted text> You are correct that she can call someone queer, but that doesn't give her to right to terminate ones employment bases on her ignorance that gays are people too and should have the same respect and rights that she takes advantage of being straight. Half of her resources wouldn't go to taxes if her spouse were to expire. When your gay you don't get all of these advantages of hospital visits, inheritance rights etc. This is the issue that the Gays have and I personally don't feel that this is to much to ask for. I rather have the Gays getting than rights than feeding and clothing some of these misfits in society who depend on the taxpayer for their rent, food, medical and clothing from cradle to grave. They pay for all of these folks but get nothing in return. I know that this decision will have to be made by the Supreme court, we can't let politicians and religious zealots make the decisions on society. If your religious than respect your church and stop trying to prevent others from enjoying their right to live and be with who they please. This mayor should of been smarter and it's her fault that she is no longer doing the job that she was elected to do.
She didn't terminate anyone's employment. She wanted to. Maybe was going to. But didn't. She said something that isn't politically correct. Hang her for that all you tolerant gays.

As for all the "rights" you want, it won't end where you say it will. Once you pass that hurdle it will be on to gay affirmative action. The gay football league. Gay this and gay that. Gays are elitists. They think they are so much wiser and so much better people than us low-life heterosexuals. You don't want acceptance. You want to instill your values on the rest of us. No thanks.
kellerman

Huntsville, OH

#16 Feb 28, 2013
Stay in the shadows wrote:
<quoted text>
She didn't terminate anyone's employment. She wanted to. Maybe was going to. But didn't. She said something that isn't politically correct. Hang her for that all you tolerant gays.
As for all the "rights" you want, it won't end where you say it will. Once you pass that hurdle it will be on to gay affirmative action. The gay football league. Gay this and gay that. Gays are elitists. They think they are so much wiser and so much better people than us low-life heterosexuals. You don't want acceptance. You want to instill your values on the rest of us. No thanks.
I guess your na´ve enough not to know that gays are already on football teams and any other form of employment that one could mention. I respect all people and I feel that gays have the same rights as myself. You stated values wouldn't you think that gays have values too that they are only obtained by white heterosexual folks. You need to get your head out of the sand. I remember days when the same would of been said about black folks that they endangered the white value system. Gay rights cannot be mistaken for civil rights. One can't hide their skin color, but I guess you think that gays should stay hidden from the world and that would make your world safer and you could protect your values. It's about having the same rights that you take granted for, they aren't asking for anything more or less and stop thinking that everyone is gay who supports this issue.
open the eyes of my heart

Columbus, OH

#17 Mar 14, 2013
Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." (NIV)

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (NIV)

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." (NIV)

"Whether or not you believe homosexuality is a sin based upon your interpretations of the scripture, there are some issues surrounding the treatment of homosexuals of which Christians need to be aware. While the Old Testament focused on rules and consequences, the New Testament offers a message of love. There are some Christian homosexuals and there are those that desire deliverance from homosexuality. Rather than trying to be God and pass judgement on those individuals, a better option may be to offer prayers to those struggling with their homosexuality."

I found the above statement online and while I agree that we need to pray for those struggling with homosexuality we still need to follow God's law. He calls us to love the sinner and hate the sin. If you are a follower of Christ you would be doing this, I have to disagree with the above term "Christian Homosexual", if you are professing Christianity then you are no longer homosexual because God has cleansed you from this sin. A sin is a sin whether it is lying, cheating on your spouse or murder. I agree that some things should be left unsaid, and Mary may have spoke out of turn but considering the time in which she grew up the term "queer" was a word that meant different and in that era homosexuality was definitely different. As a heterosexual I feel that if you disagree with someone elses lifestyle you are treated as an outcast. I have friends and family who are gay and I love them dearly, however I do not have to agree with their lifestyle. I do pray that God delivers them and opens their eyes to the truth. There has been a lot of bashing on here and mean things said. That is not what God wants of His creation. Let's turn back to the Bible and turn it all over to God. Give Him a chance and see what He can do in your life. Not all Christians are gay haters. I used to struggle with child molesters and rapists, now I pray for them and God has softened my heart making me realize that I was once a sinner too. He has changed my heart and helps me look at others through His eyes. The Bible is true, you can't pick and choose what you want to believe, it's all or nothing. Jesus came to give us a chance. He didn't come to condemn the world. He came that the world through Him would be saved. The choice is in your hands. Where will you choose to spend eternity? Smoking or non-smoking? I will be praying for all who visit this site. God Bless
KELLERMAN

Harrod, OH

#19 Mar 14, 2013
open the eyes of my heart wrote:
Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." (NIV)
Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (NIV)
Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." (NIV)
"Whether or not you believe homosexuality is a sin based upon your interpretations of the scripture, there are some issues surrounding the treatment of homosexuals of which Christians need to be aware. While the Old Testament focused on rules and consequences, the New Testament offers a message of love. There are some Christian homosexuals and there are those that desire deliverance from homosexuality. Rather than trying to be God and pass judgement on those individuals, a better option may be to offer prayers to those struggling with their homosexuality."
I found the above statement online and while I agree that we need to pray for those struggling with homosexuality we still need to follow God's law. He calls us to love the sinner and hate the sin. If you are a follower of Christ you would be doing this, I have to disagree with the above term "Christian Homosexual", if you are professing Christianity then you are no longer homosexual because God has cleansed you from this sin. A sin is a sin whether it is lying, cheating on your spouse or murder. I agree that some things should be left unsaid, and Mary may have spoke out of turn but considering the time in which she grew up the term "queer" was a word that meant different and in that era homosexuality was definitely different. As a heterosexual I feel that if you disagree with someone elses lifestyle you are treated as an outcast. I have friends and family who are gay and I love them dearly, however I do not have to agree with their lifestyle. I do pray that God delivers them and opens their eyes to the truth. There has been a lot of bashing on here and mean things said. That is not what God wants of His creation. Let's turn back to the Bible and turn it all over to God. Give Him a chance and see what He can do in your life. Not all Christians are gay haters. I used to struggle with child molesters and rapists, now I pray for them and God has softened my heart making me realize that I was once a sinner too. He has changed my heart and helps me look at others through His eyes. The Bible is true, you can't pick and choose what you want to believe, it's all or nothing. Jesus came to give us a chance. He didn't come to condemn the world. He came that the world through Him would be saved. The choice is in your hands. Where will you choose to spend eternity? Smoking or non-smoking? I will be praying for all who visit this site. God Bless
Oh please say prayers for world peace or better understanding of other, the bible is filled with off the wall statements that no one in this day in age could actually believe. I find that most people find what suits them in their endeavors to hate others. The Gays aren't invading your churches than why do they want to invade their bedrooms. It's ongoing ignorance that ruins society. If y0u wish to make a difference in your world than go out and feed and clothe the poor. It's silly that the gays are effecting your life in anyway, if your not gay than it shouldn't be a issue. I'm in my advanced years and have lived through many changes and this is just a new one.
Yeah right

Point Pleasant, WV

#20 Mar 15, 2013
"The gays aren't invading your churches than why do you want to invade their bedrooms."

Gays are the ones bringing the privacy of what happens in the bedroom to the public forum. Nobody cares what happens in your bedroom. A lot of people care about what gays want to happen because they can't keep their intimate choices private. They are the ones who want the world to change to favor them because of who they choose to be intimate with. Nobody knows anything about sexual choices until you make it public. Nobody is invading their bedrooms. Advanced experience should teach you not to blow things out of proportion.
Bob

Ravenswood, WV

#21 Mar 18, 2013
I KNOW what KARMA IS NOW... MARY MCANGUS REAR ENDED A FEMALE DRIVER THE OTHER DAY, THE PASSENGER THE DRIVERS SON IS OPENLY GAY MAN FROM TUPPERS PLAINS. I THINK THE SHERIFFS OFFICE GAVE HER A TICKET SEE IF IT STICKS IN COUNTY COURT. WONDERING BECAUSE HER DAUGHTER WORKS FOR THE LOCAL DA'S OFFICE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Meigs County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who's children services really for? (Apr '11) Dec 9 cathy 3
Van Wert Co. jobless rate slides to 4.3 percent Oct '14 Joe Jared 2
Amanda Lee Moore and Junior Campbell!!!! (Jan '14) Sep '14 Dirtguy18 2
Rx drug drop box to be installed in Middleport (Oct '12) Aug '14 Big Boon 8
26 arested in connection with drug trafficking ... (Mar '14) Jul '14 Jxo 20
Tonya Lavender Jul '14 snafu 2
hannah ramsburg (Mar '13) Jul '14 snafu 8
More from around the web