Tolerance resolution approved as Jame...

Tolerance resolution approved as James draws critics

There are 2 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from Jan 4, 2011, titled Tolerance resolution approved as James draws critics. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

ROBERT LAHSER - rlahser@charlotteobserver.com Mecklenburg County commissioners approved a resolution tonight voicing their support of diversity, inclusion and tolerance and opposing inflammatory speech that could harm others.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

customartist

Pawleys Island, SC

#1 Jan 5, 2011
The Commission must hear that these comments are indeed offensive and not to be tolerated any more than similar comments about Christians or Blacks would be.

Keep on Emailing the Commissioners:

Mayor Anthony Foxx
Jennifer Roberts Chair
Bill James
Neil Cooksey
Dumont Clarke
Karen Bentley
George Dunlap
Harold Cogdell, Jr.
Jim Pendergraph
Charlotte International Cabinet

mayor@charlottenc.gov, jennifer.roberts@MecklenburgCo untyNC.gov, Wjames@carolina.rr.com, neil.cooksey@MecklenburgCounty NC.gov, dumontclarke@mvalaw.com, karen.bentley@MecklenburgCount yNC.gov, george.dunlap@MecklenburgCount yNC.gov, harold.cogdell@MecklenburgCoun tyNC.gov, Jim.Pendergraph@mecklenburgCou ntyNC.gov,
cic@charlottenc.gov
Ask For Resignation

Burbank, CA

#2 Jan 5, 2011
I received and signed a petition about censuring a County Commissioner in North Carolina who stated that "Homosexuals are sexual predators".
Turns out that was just the tip of the iceberg and I'm writing this with tears in my eyes.:*(

I have now spent several hours digging up information on Mecklenburg County Commissioner Bill James. Every news article, even those dating back to 2004, states that his comments about blacks and gays have stirred controversy in the past. How long has this been going on?!?! Why hasn't anything been done?!?!

Turns out he once sent a bulk e-mail to 1,300 people in his county and stated that teachers can't reach the urban black children who grow up in the moral sewer. He also wrote, "That immorality impacts negatively the lives of these children and creates an environment where education is considered 'acting white' and lack of education is a 'plus' in their world." James said he chose to use "hot and direct" rhetoric to discuss social problems among urban blacks "because politically correct, namby-pamby terminology won't work and hasn't worked."

December 2nd 2004 the mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina criticized the fellow Republican, but stopped short of asking the commissioner to resign.

County Manager Harry Jones sent an e-mail to James expressing outrage at the comments.
In his e-mail response James wrote to the County Manager that "to solve a problem you have to discuss it openly and there is no doubt that the urban core is a moral sewer full of promiscuity that leads to illegitimate kids and a continuing cycle of poverty which no one wants to address."

The Chair of the Mecklenburg County Commission publicly criticized a controversial comment in which Republican Commissioner Bill James made during the commission's last meeting in December 2009. The incident happened after County Commissioner Leake made an impassioned speech about her son dying of AIDS. During the December meeting Leake said, "A son that I birthed and died of AIDS, I did not know that in 2010 I would be sitting here to defend his lifestyle." After that revelation, tempers flared when James leaned over and whispered to Commissioner James: "Your son was a homo, really?"

He's made several other derogatory remarks in and out of his public office/work environment that is clearly in violation of the Civil Rights Act. I can't believe that this is going on in this day and in my country. Someone involved in setting county policies, including social and education planning, has been allowed to loudly and publicly defy the laws in place to protect the rights of citizens of all colors, genders and backgrounds.

It is very apparent that someone with this long history of discrimination is not going to change. I, for one, am asking for his immediate resignation and I am asking that you please assist me in this endeavor.

I don't live in North Carolina but TITLE VI of the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT prevents government agencies from using Federal funding when this kind of discrimination exists. The local government may not step up and fire this jerk on principle, but maybe hitting them where it hurts (typically the money belt area) will do the trick.

The county's government website states that they received a FEMA Pre-disaster mitigation grant worth $3.5 million. The Charlotte Area Transit System also plans to use several millions of dollars from various federal programs including the ARRA and the FTA.
I do not want any federal tax that I have paid supporting this county until they act in the best interest of ALL of its residents by removing Mecklenburg County Commissioner Bill James.

Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mecklenburg County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Warrant: Man charged with murder agreed to meet... Sep '17 Lilac St Cyr 1
News VIDEO: Funnel cloud spotted in Mecklenburg County Sep '17 abc123 1
News Rick Siskey estate auction brings in more than ... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Wise Owl 1
News Lincolnton mom kidnaps and robs 18-year-old dau... (Mar '17) Mar '17 curious george 1
News Kevin Olsen, 22 (Mar '17) Mar '17 Max 1
News Conservative NC group says churches should aban... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Trump Plotza 4
News Boy Scouts' transgender ruling prompts N.C. gro... (Feb '17) Feb '17 16 TEEN SHOTS 11
More from around the web