Three N.C. sheriffs participate in fe...

Three N.C. sheriffs participate in federal immigrant program

There are 42 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Apr 23, 2007, titled Three N.C. sheriffs participate in federal immigrant program. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Sheriffs in three counties are using a federal program that allows them to hold illegal immigrants arrested in their jurisdictions for deportation proceedings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe Moody

Candler, NC

#1 Apr 23, 2007
Illegal Immigrants

Legal Immigrants

There is a differance
Hunter

Manteo, NC

#2 Apr 23, 2007
Sheriff Duncan...where are you?...hope you're taking notes, so Buncombe Co. can join...
Mtnbred

Redmond, WA

#3 Apr 23, 2007
""In the past, Pendergraph said, his agency didn't have access to the immigration database that it now has and those illegals wouldn't have been caught.

"We're protecting people from illegal immigrants driving drunk and killing our families and selling drugs to our children," Pendergraph said.""

And what about our Buncombe County Sheriff--Van Duncan? I hope he gets in on this!! As well as ALL the local police forces in the United States!!!
Janice Shelton

Quincy, MA

#4 Apr 23, 2007
Our sheriff here in Henderson county is also getting officers trained to start the immigrant return policy. We are absolutely over run in Henderson county with drunk and reckless drivers of the Hispanic people. Get with the system or go back to Mexico.
Dunnin

Henderson, NC

#5 Apr 23, 2007
It is VERY IMPORTANT that Sheriff Van Duncan join this. They can start out in Leicester using my tax money.
Hunter

Manteo, NC

#6 Apr 23, 2007
let him know what you expect...

Since: Feb 07

Cullowhee

#7 Apr 23, 2007
I'm going to contact my sheriff also. Considering the federal government is not going to spend any time rounding up the illegals they should at least train local law enforcment to do the job and give them access to their databases.

This seems like a good start. If only a few Sheriff's participate though where do they think the illegals will go to when they start enforcing the laws? The counties that don't.
Hope

United States

#8 Apr 23, 2007
Hunter wrote:
Sheriff Duncan...where are you?...hope you're taking notes, so Buncombe Co. can join...
Agree with you totally. But not only Sheriff Duncan also our city and county officials.
SIG

Asheville, NC

#9 Apr 23, 2007
Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree with you totally. But not only Sheriff Duncan also our city and county officials.
I like Chief Hogan, but he is not interested because he doesn't have anyone that can do this. City would have to approve more money just for specialized officers for this. Until then, Chief Hogan isn't contributing to the cause. He already said he wouldn't.
SIG

Asheville, NC

#10 Apr 23, 2007
Sorry, I missed it. What 3 counties are we talking about?
Dunnin

Oxford, NC

#11 Apr 23, 2007
SIG wrote:
<quoted text>
I like Chief Hogan, but he is not interested because he doesn't have anyone that can do this. City would have to approve more money just for specialized officers for this. Until then, Chief Hogan isn't contributing to the cause. He already said he wouldn't.
Sig, not being disrespectful, but just how hard can it be to do? Looks to me like another law official simply looking the other way, and shame on him.
JULIE

Chapel Hill, NC

#12 Jun 13, 2007
WELL ALL OF YOU ARE JUST AS RACIST AS HE IS. THIS WHOLE COUNTRY WAS STOLEN FROM THE INDIANS BY THE WHITE IMMAGRANTS.WHO GAVE THEM PERMISION TO COME HERE AND KILL ALL THE NATIVES FOR THE LAND? PAYBACK IS HELL AINT IT? I'M SO SICK ON PEOPLE JUDGING LATINOS BECAUSE OF A FEW BAD SEEDS.I'VE SPENT A YEAR TRAVELING CENTRAL AMERICA,AND I'VE SEEN FIRST HAND POVERTY THAT YOU DUMB ASSES THINK THAT THEY SHOULD JUST HAVE TO SETTLE FOR.WAS THIS COUNTRY NOT THE LAND OF DREAMS?I GUESS THAT DOESNT COUNT IF YOUR SKIN IS TOO BROWN. HOW MANY OF YOU CONSIDER YOURSELVES TO BE GOOD CHRISTIANS? DO YOU THINK THAT GOD SHOULD DEPORT THE LATINOS FROM HEAVEN AS WELL? HOW DO YOU THINK THE POOR AMERICAN CHILDREN FEEL WHEN THEY COME HOME FROM SCHOOL AND THE PERENTS NEVER COME HOME BECAUSE THEY WERE PICKED UP FOR DEPORTATION FROM THEIR JOBS? I PERSONALY HOPE THAT MR RACIST SHERRIF WILL ONE DAY REALIZE HOW MUCH SUFFERING HE IS CAUSING. THE BIBLE SAYS TO DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD WANT DONE TO YOU.MAYBE HE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HIS FAMILY TORN APART AND SENT INTO POVERTY,AND LOOSE ALL OF THEIR PERSONAL BELONGINS THAT THEY WORKED SO HARD TO GET..WWJD?
Go Back

United States

#14 Jun 13, 2007
WELL ALL OF YOU ARE JUST AS RACIST AS HE IS. THIS WHOLE COUNTRY WAS STOLEN FROM THE INDIANS BY THE WHITE IMMAGRANTS.
BLAAH BLAAH BLAAH
Nobody even reads a mispelled rage by some white fattie girlfriend of a greaser beaner.
DEPORT DEPORT DEPORT
Dunnin

Henderson, NC

#15 Jun 13, 2007
Oh for heavens sake, Julie is a sympathizer. She should be deported and sent whereever with them.

And this isnt a case of WWJD...this is a case of illegal criminals not abiding by the law in this country and they need to be helped along BACK to their homeland.

Obviously a bigot and in this case, proud of it.
ecl1958

Asheville, NC

#16 Jun 13, 2007
Go Back wrote:
WELL ALL OF YOU ARE JUST AS RACIST AS HE IS. THIS WHOLE COUNTRY WAS STOLEN FROM THE INDIANS BY THE WHITE IMMAGRANTS.
BLAAH BLAAH BLAAH
Nobody even reads a mispelled rage by some white fattie girlfriend of a greaser beaner.
DEPORT DEPORT DEPORT
However poorly written Julie's sentiments were, I must say that I agree with her, and I'm neither fat nor the girlfriend of an immigrant.
ecl1958

Asheville, NC

#17 Jun 13, 2007
Janice Shelton wrote:
Our sheriff here in Henderson county is also getting officers trained to start the immigrant return policy. We are absolutely over run in Henderson county with drunk and reckless drivers of the Hispanic people. Get with the system or go back to Mexico.
Some of these posters make it sound like all "the Hispanic people" do is drink, then get behind the wheel. What about the work they do -- hard work for low wages. I'd like to see some of these self-righteous posters get out there and try to do those same jobs themselves. They may just change their tune about the presence of "the Hispanic people."
Dunnin

Henderson, NC

#18 Jun 13, 2007
ecl1958 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of these posters make it sound like all "the Hispanic people" do is drink, then get behind the wheel. What about the work they do -- hard work for low wages. I'd like to see some of these self-righteous posters get out there and try to do those same jobs themselves. They may just change their tune about the presence of "the Hispanic people."
What about law abiding citizens who think its disgraceful for people to condone criminal behavior? I dont eat tomatoes and can grow a garden if I need to without yours or a low wage earners help. And no, I wont be changing my tune for a Mexican illegal, either. Or any other illegal for that matter. Geez.

I say their sympathizers should be sent back with them.

“Resist the Invasion!”

Nebo, NC

#19 Jun 13, 2007
XAshevilleNative wrote:
I'm sure McDowell County won't get involved. It might involve work.
Amen, XAshevilleNative! Sometimes I wonder why we pay any taxes at all here ...

But I've got to admit: McDowell beats Asheville/Buncombe all hollow. The local governments ought to PAY their residents for all of the trouble it takes to live up there -- instead of the other way around.

And yes, I am a refugee myself.

Jeff Dreibus

Cullowhee

#20 Jun 13, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
Oh for heavens sake, Julie is a sympathizer. She should be deported and sent whereever with them.
And this isnt a case of WWJD...this is a case of illegal criminals not abiding by the law in this country and they need to be helped along BACK to their homeland.
Obviously a bigot and in this case, proud of it.
I find it funny that some want God out of schools, government buildings and most all public places then use WWJD to excuse illegal behavior.
ecl1958

Asheville, NC

#21 Jun 13, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
What about law abiding citizens who think its disgraceful for people to condone criminal behavior? I dont eat tomatoes and can grow a garden if I need to without yours or a low wage earners help. And no, I wont be changing my tune for a Mexican illegal, either. Or any other illegal for that matter. Geez.
I say their sympathizers should be sent back with them.
Well hello, Dunnin -- haven't seen you in a couple of days and was wondering where you had gotten to, actually. I see we're still going round and round and round...

I'm an 11th generation American, which I probably neglected to mention along the way. Unless the drift towards fascism becomes more than I can tolerate -- in which case I will flee to the most liberal country available -- <grin> -- I don't feel like moving at the moment, so I see no reason to be "sent back" anywhere just because I believe all who wish to live here should be welcomed.

As for law abiding citizens, I do happen to be one, thank you very much. Nothing whatsoever to hide here. Not to get too off topic, but among other things, I happen to think that marijuana should be legal and that consenting adults should be able to cohabit in the state of North Carolina (amazingly enough, that is still against the law). If that makes me a disgrace, so be it.:-O

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mecklenburg County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DWIs ensnare many aliens (Sep '08) Apr '15 For Americans 18
News Charlotte is largest city with no lobbying disc... Feb '15 FLW 1
News Mecklenburg prepares for flood of gay marriage ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Rainbow Kid 10
Brittney Kerr (Sep '14) Sep '14 Kayleigh 1
News Gay leader arrested after Moral Monday rally (Sep '14) Sep '14 Abrahammock Relig... 50
News American Airlines worried sales tax hike could ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Uncle Si 1
News 9 Investigates: Online dating dangers for women (May '14) May '14 dizzyprincess 1
More from around the web