Group Hopes to Save Otter Creek Park

Group Hopes to Save Otter Creek Park

There are 10 comments on the WKJK-AM Louisville story from Jan 5, 2009, titled Group Hopes to Save Otter Creek Park. In it, WKJK-AM Louisville reports that:

Otter Creek park is closed. For now. But a new group is mobilizing to do whatever it can to save it, and open it back up to the public again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKJK-AM Louisville.

Barbara Owens

Radcliff, KY

#1 Jan 6, 2009
There had been talk of closing Otter Creek Park a few years ago when the cost of keeping it open was mentioned. At that time I had wondered why there wasn't a small charge ($1 per person) that would have taken care of the cost and perhaps a reduced carload charge or season pass. I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind doing this to keep such a treasure. It's done at Bernheim Forest and at the National parks. I don't think that keeps many people away. We have enjoyed so many events through the years, even the short time there was a restaurant at the lodge. As a small child, I even went with my parents and their friends to a little known place (now part of Ft. Knox) called Greyhampton where people would even drive into the creek to wash their cars. There was a spot with rapids that we used as a slide. It was so much fun. It's so sad to keep losing these wonderful, quiet, beautiful places.

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#2 Jan 6, 2009
Bernheim forest is the shyt..I love goin up there,also mammoth cave is also an excellent place.
Slightly Amused

Palo Alto, CA

#3 Jan 6, 2009
Unfortunately this just doesn't fit into King Jerrys plans. He has wanted to unload Otter Creek Park for some time now. The shameful fact is that people will choose not to remember his destructive acts come election time.
Show me the money

Huntley, IL

#4 Jan 6, 2009
Slightly Amused wrote:
Unfortunately this just doesn't fit into King Jerrys plans. He has wanted to unload Otter Creek Park for some time now. The shameful fact is that people will choose not to remember his destructive acts come election time.
Who and how can we pay for it ?

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#5 Jan 6, 2009
Show me the money wrote:
<quoted text>
Who and how can we pay for it ?
I hear they have plans underway to reopen in 2009
Do a little research with google for the answers

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#6 Jan 6, 2009
Heres what I was able to find...

Otter Creek Park in Meade County is set to close this week. But efforts aimed at re-opening the park in 2009 are underway.

For decades, Otter Creek Park has been owned and operated by Louisville Metro Government. But the park will close on Friday to help meet a $20 million city budget shortfall.

Metro Parks is looking for another entity to operate the facility, such as the state or the city of Fort Knox. Spokesperson Jason Cissell says even if a new operator is found now, the park will still close this week.

“It would take some time to transition it over to another operating entity, to give them time to staff-up and prepare to operate the facility,” he says.“We don’t have a specific timeframe but we would be hopeful that it would re-open within a matter of months if someone else were able to come in and operate it.”

Cissell says if a public entity doesn’t agree to take over Otter Creek Park, the city may consider private interests. He says a private operator would still be required to keep the facility open to the public, only for recreational use.
Slightly Amused

Palo Alto, CA

#7 Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for the info Tri6. Kinda helps rekindle a little hope.
david crawley

West Lafayette, IN

#8 Mar 6, 2015
Barbara Owens wrote:
There had been talk of closing Otter Creek Park a few years ago when the cost of keeping it open was mentioned. At that time I had wondered why there wasn't a small charge ($1 per person) that would have taken care of the cost and perhaps a reduced carload charge or season pass. I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind doing this to keep such a treasure. It's done at Bernheim Forest and at the National parks. I don't think that keeps many people away. We have enjoyed so many events through the years, even the short time there was a restaurant at the lodge. As a small child, I even went with my parents and their friends to a little known place (now part of Ft. Knox) called Greyhampton where people would even drive into the creek to wash their cars. There was a spot with rapids that we used as a slide. It was so much fun. It's so sad to keep losing these wonderful, quiet, beautiful places.
Hi..I was looking up Greyhampton KY and found this site reading the post made me sad and happy at the same time...why?? coz my mother was born around greyhampton and I know the government took their farm for the organizing of FT Knox reservation..actually I was born at Ft Knox .. as my dad was a lifer in the Army.. but when u mentioned that people would wash their cars in the creek, that made me smile... coz that is how my dad met my mom....she and her friends were wading in the creek to cool off and my dad was washing his car in "Otter creek" and I guess he did a "hey good lookin'" and the rest is history lol.. that would have been in 41 or 42 ...that place is right off of highway 60 east of the bridge,north of the road and still part of knox I think..there is a picnic area and a fishing lake too....oh and there used to be a 2 room school there and when my Aunt took me there I found the concrete steps they used to walk up to go to class...this is a treasure for me anyway thanks for the memories.....
trying

Decatur, GA

#9 Mar 28, 2015
david crawley wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi..I was looking up Greyhampton KY and found this site reading the post made me sad and happy at the same time...why?? coz my mother was born around greyhampton and I know the government took their farm for the organizing of FT Knox reservation..actually I was born at Ft Knox .. as my dad was a lifer in the Army.. but when u mentioned that people would wash their cars in the creek, that made me smile... coz that is how my dad met my mom....she and her friends were wading in the creek to cool off and my dad was washing his car in "Otter creek" and I guess he did a "hey good lookin'" and the rest is history lol.. that would have been in 41 or 42 ...that place is right off of highway 60 east of the bridge,north of the road and still part of knox I think..there is a picnic area and a fishing lake too....oh and there used to be a 2 room school there and when my Aunt took me there I found the concrete steps they used to walk up to go to class...this is a treasure for me anyway thanks for the memories.....
&fe ature=player_detailpage#t=8
Creamcake

Brownsburg, IN

#10 Jul 17, 2015
david crawley wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi..I was looking up Greyhampton KY and found this site reading the post made me sad and happy at the same time...why?? coz my mother was born around greyhampton and I know the government took their farm for the organizing of FT Knox reservation..actually I was born at Ft Knox .. as my dad was a lifer in the Army.. but when u mentioned that people would wash their cars in the creek, that made me smile... coz that is how my dad met my mom....she and her friends were wading in the creek to cool off and my dad was washing his car in "Otter creek" and I guess he did a "hey good lookin'" and the rest is history lol.. that would have been in 41 or 42 ...that place is right off of highway 60 east of the bridge,north of the road and still part of knox I think..there is a picnic area and a fishing lake too....oh and there used to be a 2 room school there and when my Aunt took me there I found the concrete steps they used to walk up to go to class...this is a treasure for me anyway thanks for the memories.....
My parents also washed their car at this creek with waterfall while stationed at Ft. Knox during WWII before my father went overseas. We have tried to locate it since, but finally were told that the waterfall had been "blown up" for the movie THE TANKS ARE COMING. if I understand your entry, it sounds like the creek part is still there, but on grounds of the fort. Can one drive to it now? Last time we tried to visit, we were not allowed on base at all (after 9/11). Hopefully restrictions have been removed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Meade County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robbery in Meade county 20 hr Meeeee 3
Brandi Fraley Feb 16 Anonymous 1
Home wrecker Feb 6 Donna 1954 8
Lisa Rucker Jan '18 Yuuuuup 2
1990's Murder at Five Star in Brandenburg??? (Jul '17) Jan '18 panda0000 2
Game wander Blackwell Dec '17 Looking out 1
Doe Valley Music Thread (Jun '16) Dec '17 Musikologist 5
More from around the web