Maury School Officials Consider Total...

Maury School Officials Consider Total Paddling Ban

There are 4 comments on the WTVF Nashville story from Mar 30, 2009, titled Maury School Officials Consider Total Paddling Ban. In it, WTVF Nashville reports that:

School officials in Columbia are considering eliminating paddling to avoid possible lawsuits alleging abuse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVF Nashville.

Educated

Dyersburg, TN

#1 Mar 30, 2009
They might as well ban it. Due to the fact that most schools will do everything but that anymore. You sign a piece of paper that its ok for this to be done the beginning of every year. But they will, give pink slips, detention, sat school, ISS, and suspension before they will paddle. So what is the point!

MrObjective

“Not Significant”

Since: Mar 09

Nashville

#2 Mar 30, 2009
I don't think paddling is a good idea; it opens the door for yet more liability against the teachers. I did student teaching in Ruthorford County over a decade ago and it was clear that a teacher that just had some sort of conflict with a student would paddle that student more.

I was also extreamly uncomfortable with grown men spanking teenage girls. You have to picture a teenage age girl bending slightly with her hands face down on the teacher's desk and her butt out with her feet spread. The male teacher of course, would need a witness (another male, often me) and it was just a little creepy.

There are much more effective way to get a students attention; loss of privileges always worked for me.
Selma

La Vergne, TN

#3 Mar 31, 2009
Haven't seen anyone paddled since I was in elementary school. I wonder how often it occurs these days.
Educated

Dyersburg, TN

#4 Apr 1, 2009
MrObjective wrote:
I don't think paddling is a good idea; it opens the door for yet more liability against the teachers. I did student teaching in Ruthorford County over a decade ago and it was clear that a teacher that just had some sort of conflict with a student would paddle that student more.
I was also extreamly uncomfortable with grown men spanking teenage girls. You have to picture a teenage age girl bending slightly with her hands face down on the teacher's desk and her butt out with her feet spread. The male teacher of course, would need a witness (another male, often me) and it was just a little creepy.
There are much more effective way to get a students attention; loss of privileges always worked for me.
That is quite creepy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maury County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Details Emerge In Tad Cummins Case Sat Junkyarddawg 5
Maury County's next Sheriff Sep 17 Not for Bozo 151
News Tad Cummins trial scheduled to begin in late July Jul '17 Ernestine 2
News Legislation introduced to halt Islamic teaching... (Jan '16) Jul '17 J_a_n 7
News Nation-Now 40 mins ago 6:50 a.m.Tennessee bill:... (Jan '17) Jul '17 Fat mama 3
News Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas (Mar '17) Apr '17 Prof-Plum 19
News Parents concerned over religious curriculum (Sep '15) Apr '17 True Christian wi... 25
More from around the web