UHERO: Zero growth for Hawaii this year

UHERO: Zero growth for Hawaii this year

There are 7 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from May 9, 2008, titled UHERO: Zero growth for Hawaii this year. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization predicts zero growth for the state this year, with no significant recovery in sight until 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Millionaire

Honolulu, HI

#1 May 9, 2008
Wow, the first one to comment. I'm surprised because articles like this usually draw the Chicken Littles out from hiding to rant and rave.

I'm not overly worried by this article. So the economy is slowing, and what? These figures show at worst a slight recession until....2010! Oh no that's 2 years. Give me a break. If that's the worst of it, then we're doing pretty good. As long as you have your savings built up and live frugal now. Bye bye enormous TV, SUV, and jewelry (that you couldn't really afford in the first place).

I hope nobody comes on here writing about how these economists are ignorant, bribed, or related to Linda Lingle. And how they (the reader) know more than them (the professional economists).
DevilDog

Makawao, HI

#2 May 9, 2008
Economists don't have a great track record, especially those that work for banks. They tend to reflect the outlook that their employers would like the population to believe.

Anyway, you don't have to be an economist to see something is terribly wrong with the U.S. and Hawaii economic outlook.

Loss of airlines, cruise ships and Japanese visitors will plague the business sector. Falling asset prices in housing and commercial real estate will press things down further. And every consumer can see from the trends in gas prices, groceries and other everyday costs knows where things are headed.
Consenting Adult

Honolulu, HI

#3 May 9, 2008
Let's not forget our State Smoking ban continuing to pour gas on the fire of decreased Japanese tourism.

It's also much easier to fix, all it takes is more lawmakers to say yes to the fix.
Go Warriors

Honolulu, HI

#4 May 9, 2008
Great outlook, zero income growth compared to astronomical increases in goods, services, food, etc. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how this story ends. At least the Fed attempted an economic stimulus plan, it's time for Lingle to step up with her economic stimulus plan instead of lobbying to buy every piece of land in this state.
Oki

Hilo, HI

#5 May 9, 2008
Consenting Adult wrote:
Let's not forget our State Smoking ban continuing to pour gas on the fire of decreased Japanese tourism.
It's also much easier to fix, all it takes is more lawmakers to say yes to the fix.
We should protect our worker's health and environment foremost. Heck, Japan is doing exactly that by banning smoking at massive rates in the past few years to 'catch up' with the rest of the world. Why would we want to go backward?
yikes

Honolulu, HI

#6 May 9, 2008
Oki wrote:
<quoted text>
We should protect our worker's health and environment foremost. Heck, Japan is doing exactly that by banning smoking at massive rates in the past few years to 'catch up' with the rest of the world. Why would we want to go backward?
Oh Please! You Anti freedom people couldn't care less about people's health or the enviroment. Look at the new law concerning the paper used for cigarettes. The paper is more poisonous than what is used now. Yet your lobbyists managed to coerce the idiots at the capitol to pass a faulty law.
Sam Stone

Grass Valley, CA

#7 May 11, 2008
I think this article is more positive that it should be. I used to go to Maui once a month on Aloha from Sacramento (non stop). Now that Aloha is gone, the entire Sacramento area which comprises of Lake Tahoe and Reno areas as well are not served well.

Hawaiian Airlines has taken this opportunity to jack up the prices, so for the Sacramento market, you now have to connect through LAX or HNL to get to Maui and adds hours to your trip, and the fare has almost tripled.

I used to pay between 400-500 for a round trip, and now its almost $1200 not counting the extra time it takes to get to Maui.

There are a lot of people I spoke to that are planning to sell their time share and buy on in Mexico instead due to the fares.

I predict a big downturn in the economy of Hawaii, who knew that ATA and Aloha were doing so much for the economy of Hawaii.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maui County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coal miner looking for a new life (Sep '14) Jul '17 Anonymous 2
Maui County Music Thread (Aug '13) Apr '17 Musikologist 12
maui courthosue one trillion dollars cash money... (Jan '17) Jan '17 liar hilo 1
Seeking info on Charles Ray Bunch (Apr '11) Dec '16 JD Lloy 7
Delta Air Lines Background Check (Nov '16) Nov '16 Jeffrey 2
Maui County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Rec... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Daniel 2
hawaii helicopter let one million die july 2010 (Oct '16) Oct '16 hawaiiheli 1
More from around the web