Plastic bag ban falls through on Big Island by one vote - Business

The Hawaii County Council failed to override the Big Island mayor's veto on banning plastic checkout bags - by one vote. Full Story
glenn paul

Johnson City, NY

#1 Oct 10, 2008
I think people should bring their own bags. Cuts down on plastic and paper which, I believe, both take the same time to decompose. I remember when customers took out their purchase in the stores empty paper boxes. But at home we used to be able to burn our waste under controlled restrictions.
South Point

Honolulu, HI

#2 Oct 10, 2008
There should be a ban on plastic bags used in fishing at South Point. Large rubbish bags blow off the coast to carry the fishing lines off shore. Sometimes the lines break or the plastic bags come off and blow out to sea. This is not good for the environment
manini

Honolulu, HI

#3 Oct 10, 2008
Good. This was a pooly written bill. Bring back a better version next time and it will pass. Maybe require biodegradable plastic bags but don't outright eliminate the plastic option.
For those who claim bringing bags from home is better for the environment, you are far from correct. It takes energy to clean those bags and then the water goes into the sewer system which then adds to the amount the sewage plant needs to process.
anon

Waipahu, HI

#4 Oct 10, 2008
So you're saying that using biodegradable soap on cloth bags once a month is more harmful than using bags made of materials that take 50000 years to biodegrade?
Chris

Pompano Beach, FL

#5 Oct 10, 2008
There is a chain of inexpensive food stores on the mainland (originally from Germany) called ALDI. If you want plastic bags you have to buy them. As you would expect, most people bring their own bags of whatever type. The store doesn't do it to be "green",just to keep prices down. Sounds good to me.
manini

Honolulu, HI

#6 Oct 10, 2008
anon wrote:
So you're saying that using biodegradable soap on cloth bags once a month is more harmful than using bags made of materials that take 50000 years to biodegrade?
I would certainly wash mine more than once a month. And the sewage treatment plant has no idea the soap that is part of the waste stream is biodegradable. They sewage treatment plant is going to treat it to the same level as anything else it finds in the waste stream. That also requires energy.
And on Oahu the plastics actually contribute to our efforts at H-Power by providing an easily combustable material that helps burn the less combustable materials also present.
litter

Honolulu, HI

#7 Oct 10, 2008
Most plastic bags are disposed of in a proper manner or are recycled to other uses. But plastic bags are part of a bigger problem, LITTER.
I think the author of the Big Island bill was hoping to address the problem of blowing plastic bags. But I think he should have gone after the bigger problem.
Or is the banning of plastic bags only the first step in banning other items. Pick out an easy target, ban it and once the idea of banning becomes accepted, move on to banning other items.
paakiki

Honolulu, HI

#8 Oct 10, 2008
A silly bill went down in defeat, not because of the mental giants on the council who didn't meet a liberal cause they didn't want to pass on to everyone, but because they couldn't override the mayor's veto. And for all you people who have no lives who want to carry your own recyclable bags, please do so by all means. But, why do I have to do it because you THINK it's a good idea?
Killa Wiffa

AOL

#9 Oct 10, 2008
"Training checkout cashiers to remind customers to bring their own bags," are you kidding me? They don't care either!!!!!!!! There is no incentive for people to bring their own bags. America is the throw away society and to bring their own bags is virtually out of the question. There is no second thought as to how people dispose of their used bags, it just goes into the trash. At least the island of Maui has shown leadership in being the front runner by setting an example and banning the horrific plastic bag. Maui no ka oi.
The Berrys of Dingle

AOL

#10 Oct 10, 2008
Dixie is an airhead, just like Sarah Palin!!!!!!!!
Poi Boy

AOL

#11 Oct 10, 2008
That acting mayor has no foresight!!!!!!!!
A Fish Out of H2O

AOL

#12 Oct 10, 2008
She must be brain dead.
Tama Samoa

Honolulu, HI

#13 Oct 10, 2008
wow, plastic bags, is there any other worthy or more important isuue to talk about that just palstic bags?

Who knows? Maybe next one up is bann underwears and braws cause the elastic band are known to choke out sea turtles and dolphins. give me a break, even Alice the UH intel student could think better than that...lol
Westside Wind

Honolulu, HI

#14 Oct 10, 2008
Tama Samoa wrote:
wow, plastic bags, is there any other worthy or more important isuue to talk about that just palstic bags?
Who knows? Maybe next one up is bann underwears and braws cause the elastic band are known to choke out sea turtles and dolphins. give me a break, even Alice the UH intel student could think better than that...lol
Eh bradda Tama, you part of the elite group that pick up your dogs poop with your hands. Well, the seniors and more experienced people use the plastic bags to keep the environment clean.
Don't make them mad. Any talk of banning that will result in major revolt...
A Fish Out of H2O

AOL

#15 Oct 10, 2008
As you can see, the majority of the council members voted in favor of banning plastic bags. There were only a couple of loose screws that felt it was inappropriate to rid the island of those hideous unsightly bags blowing in the wind and in our yards. In time, her grandchildren will ask her why is there so much pollution and dead fish surrounding our beautiful island. The wahine has absolutely no brains, no foresight, in fact, she's got kukae for brains. What a total LOSER!!!!!!!!
The Berrys of Dingle

AOL

#16 Oct 10, 2008
Thank God there will be a new mayor in 2008. The acting mayor is sad!!!!!!!1
Richard Richardson

Honolulu, HI

#18 Oct 10, 2008
It would be better to put lids on garbage cans. Most of what ends up in the environment is blown out of trash containers. Go to any beach-park on the island and it's the same. No lids. Also the plastic does decay fairly quickly. I recently left a couple of plastic bags in a car that wasn't being used. After about 6 months the bags had broken up into little pieces as it decayed from exposure to heat and sunlight. At that rate it would soon be dust.
realmerv

Portland, OR

#19 Oct 10, 2008
I wonder what all you plastic bag banners think about using to pick up dog poop that pollutes our parks and yards and grassy areas along the streets. I bet you just let your dogs do their thing and let people's children step on the poop. And when you attend parties at the parks or at people's homes, I bet you don't chase all those nasty flies that just dined on the dog poop in the yard and street. I guess that's the secret ingredient in your party recipes.

Oregon is way ahead of Hawaii environmentally and if they have plastic dog poop bags stations all over the place, don't you think it tells you something. Oregon is still giving out plastic bags in all their stores and if plastic bags was really an environmental issue, it would have been banned in Oregon years before being banned in Hawaii. They recycle everything on a much larger scale than in Hawaii or in California so why isn't plastic bags being banned in Oregon? There must be a very good reason and I think it is that the benefits outweigh all the negatives.

We need plastic bags and the councilmen are barking up the wrong tree on this issue.
Rubba Slippa Man

AOL

#20 Oct 10, 2008
Ban the bag!!!!!!!! Not Dixie, the plastic ones. Get in the ballgame and wake up. It's just an excuse to be wasteful and ignorant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maui County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maui County Music Thread (Aug '13) Nov '14 Musikologist 8
Coal miner looking for a new life Sep '14 KyCoalMiner 1
Friday delivery of Star-Advertiser suspended fo... (Aug '14) Aug '14 American_Infidel 1
Power outage in the Pukalani area (May '14) May '14 Shannon Ward 1
Counties' hotel tax share to rise by $10M (May '14) May '14 American_Infidel 1
Hawaii Is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point (Apr '14) Apr '14 don 1
missing woman (Mar '14) Mar '14 WIT2 2
More from around the web