Remembering Consol No. 9 Mine Disaster

Remembering Consol No. 9 Mine Disaster

There are 7 comments on the WDTV Bridgeport story from Nov 16, 2008, titled Remembering Consol No. 9 Mine Disaster. In it, WDTV Bridgeport reports that:

Story Created: Nov 16, 2008 at 9:26 PM EST Story Updated: Nov 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM EST On November 20, 1968, a deadly explosion occurred at Consol No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WDTV Bridgeport.

Tammy

Levelland, TX

#1 Nov 17, 2008
God bless the coal miners! They truly are the backbone of this country!

My Grandpa was a coal miner. He was a coal miner before they paid a decent wage. He was a wonderful man, strong in every sense of the word! God how I miss him!
My Grandpa Belt worked at No. 9 mine at the time of the explosion. I would have never known him had he been scheduled to work that day! He was a great man and I thank God that I had him in my life!
It takes a very special breed of people to work in the coal mines. They must be strong, courageous, and thoughtless of their own needs.

The No. 9 mine disaster is something that we must not forget! I hope that everybody will take time out of their day on Nov. 20th for a moment of silence in respect to those who lost their lives. If you know somebody who lost a loved one, take a minute to go see them or give them a call.
Richard kimble

Wimauma, FL

#2 Nov 23, 2008
I never got to meet my grandfather whos life was taken on Nov. 20 1968.His name was Emilio Megna it was his last shift ever in the mine,the next day he was having the grand opening of his new gas station and his life as a miner would no longer exist but at 5:30 am nov.20th right close to shift change his life as a father,husband and coal miner came to a hault and was put in gods hands and him along with 18 other miners were never found!!!40 years later here i sit wondering if my grandfather wouldnt have went to work that LAST shift like my uncle tried to get him to do what would he be like,could we go fishing together???So for any of you family members of coal miners please pray and pray every day for its someone in your family who really makes this world go around!!!
Tammy

Levelland, TX

#3 Nov 23, 2008
Richard kimble wrote:
So for any of you family members of coal miners please pray and pray every day for its someone in your family who really makes this world go around!!!
How right you are!!!!!!!!
I am so sorry Mr. Kimble to hear of your loss!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and so many others who lost loved ones on that cold and tragic day 40 years ago! May God bless you all!
lisa carpenter

Lindale, TX

#4 Jan 1, 2009
I also am sorry for your loss, my husbands father was also in the mining accident and he never got to meet him, he was born July 2,1968 and the disaster happened 4 months later not a day goes by that i think he does not think about meeting his father and what kind of man he was, he misses him every day. i feel for him because we have a 17 year old daughter and a 1 year old grandson, how proud he would have been of them all. my dad is also a retired coal miner, you are right about a special kind of person to do that job. we pray for all
Stzombie

Redmond, WA

#5 Jan 6, 2009
lisa carpenter wrote:
I also am sorry for your loss, my husbands father was also in the mining accident and he never got to meet him, he was born July 2,1968 and the disaster happened 4 months later not a day goes by that i think he does not think about meeting his father and what kind of man he was, he misses him every day. i feel for him because we have a 17 year old daughter and a 1 year old grandson, how proud he would have been of them all. my dad is also a retired coal miner, you are right about a special kind of person to do that job. we pray for all
hey lis just ran into this site on a search.oh yeah you know im all for the miners back there, past an now.I did a piece on number nine mine an it ran in the times wv nov.20.talk ta ya later
lisa carpenter

Lindale, TX

#6 Jan 7, 2009
yeah it was awful and your piece was great and im glad u wrote it sorry i lost u the other day on the phone it was important and took forever, so call me later good talking to u take care god bless and god bless the miners.
Misty

Elmora, PA

#7 Oct 5, 2009
We are in the middle of a report on this disaster. I was wandering if anyone could help with details, interviews, etc...If you can please email me at [email protected] In the subject please use #9 Disaster that way I can find your email quicker

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three Arrested in Mannington Break-In (Jan '09) May '15 brrrapp 20
News Monongah men charged following series of break-ins (Oct '09) Apr '15 salmon run 19
News Industrial Home for Youth (Jun '10) Nov '14 Disturbed Darkness 69
News U.S. Marshals arrest Marion County man for fail... (Nov '14) Nov '14 and 6
News Manchin's brother files civil lawsuit (Aug '14) Aug '14 Joe smith 1
News New public shooting range opening in West Virginia (Nov '13) Jul '14 Common sense 6
News Ex-coach charged with molesting 2 more W.Va. boys (Feb '13) May '14 Hummmm 21
More from around the web