More development eyed for downtown Gr...

More development eyed for downtown Granite City

There are 40 comments on the Belleville News Democrat story from Jun 16, 2014, titled More development eyed for downtown Granite City. In it, Belleville News Democrat reports that:

In April, she opened Kool Beanz Cafe at 1316 Niedringhaus Ave., where she brews coffee, serves breakfast and lunch, provides free WiFi and hosts live bands on the weekends.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Belleville News Democrat.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
iBinPharteen

La Vergne, TN

#1 Jun 16, 2014
Hoosiers will destroy that, sorry to say

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2 Jun 16, 2014
Lol!!! A bowling alley, hotel, and a grocery store. Why not the Olympics. Total BS...Brother Eddie and Ferry are spinning it as best they can to save their legacy lol.

Since: May 14

Mount Vernon, MO

#3 Jun 16, 2014
And how long has the YMCA been sitting vacant?
iBinPharteen

East Alton, IL

#4 Jun 17, 2014
ParadoxRiker wrote:
Lol!!! A bowling alley, hotel, and a grocery store. Why not the Olympics. Total BS...Brother Eddie and Ferry are spinning it as best they can to save their legacy lol.
Do we even have a bowling alley? I thought after the one near the track closed that pretty much did in bowling for granite?

Truthfully with all the vacant lots around here and derelict buildings they just as well turn this place into a golf course.

Location hidden

#5 Jun 17, 2014
iBinPharteen wrote:
<quoted text>
Do we even have a bowling alley? I thought after the one near the track closed that pretty much did in bowling for granite?
Truthfully with all the vacant lots around here and derelict buildings they just as well turn this place into a golf course.
No bowling alley in Granite. There used to be 2. Bowling is a diminishing activity, not a thriving one. Bowling alleys have either closed in other towns or are becoming near extinct. The one exception is the cosmic bowl for younger kids that play it for fun and not for league play. However, those are usually included in entertainment complexes such as Edison in Edwardsville. Opening a bowling alley in downtown Granite is a sure fail.
FYI

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jun 17, 2014
Politically Incorrigible wrote:
And how long has the YMCA been sitting vacant?
Old YMCA is now used for Police training. I drove past there and saw lots of hot men in uniform. Not just GCPD either. Yummy goodness

United States

#7 Jun 17, 2014
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>Old YMCA is now used for Police training. I drove past there and saw lots of hot men in uniform. Not just GCPD either. Yummy goodness
Good place for them to train. Let them breathe all the asbestos in.
JustPeachy

Granite City, IL

#8 Jun 17, 2014
Politically Incorrigible wrote:
<quoted text>
Good place for them to train. Let them breathe all the asbestos in.
Nah, they got all the asbestos out of there a few years ago. Before the first haunted house was held in it.

There were a couple different independent groups filming in there a while back, too. And even some haunted tour stuff going on.
Real Deal

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Jun 20, 2014
Are you kidding me? People still are trying to develop Granite City? Have they noticed half of East St. Louis has moved into East and West Granite? Nobody want to visit that dump and anyone with an education is quickly jumping ship.

Location hidden

#10 Jun 21, 2014
There are actually people in this town that think residents from surrounding communities actually want to visit downtown Granite either from their commute from St Louis or just a simple visit. Really??? Seriously??? Why would they want to??? Ask yourself that question.
truth

Granite City, IL

#11 Jun 21, 2014
JustPeachy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, they got all the asbestos out of there a few years ago. Before the first haunted house was held in it.
There were a couple different independent groups filming in there a while back, too. And even some haunted tour stuff going on.
Are you sure they took the asbestos out of there? The reason they couldn't find anyone to take the building is that the asbestos clean up was going to run several million of dollar. So you're telling me that Granite city spent over 10% of it's yearly budget to clean up that mess?
JustPeachy

Granite City, IL

#12 Jun 21, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure they took the asbestos out of there? The reason they couldn't find anyone to take the building is that the asbestos clean up was going to run several million of dollar. So you're telling me that Granite city spent over 10% of it's yearly budget to clean up that mess?
I have no idea how much it cost, or exactly who did it. But, yes, it has been removed. That's why they are allowed to use the building for all of these various activities.

Brighton, MO

#13 Jun 21, 2014
Great idea! Develop property that has a close proximity to the mill. Lol. Unless of course, develop means tear down.

Location hidden

#14 Jun 21, 2014
A hotel? Who would be customers of this hotel? Granite is certainly not a destination city and it is too far from 270 to be a stay over night hotel. I have an idea lol.

Brighton, MO

#15 Jun 21, 2014
There is one, it's a dump.
truth

Granite City, IL

#16 Jun 21, 2014
JustPeachy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea how much it cost, or exactly who did it. But, yes, it has been removed. That's why they are allowed to use the building for all of these various activities.
When they filmed the movie there, the asbestos was still in place.

Are you sure they removed it, or are you just assuming that because they are letting people in the building?
yep

United States

#17 Jun 21, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>When they filmed the movie there, the asbestos was still in place.

Are you sure they removed it, or are you just assuming that because they are letting people in the building?
Millions?? Bahaha, a simple Google search reveals it cost 94,500 dollars for asbestos abatement.
Lane Lover

Collinsville, IL

#18 Jun 21, 2014
I like bowling. I would go down there to a smaller scale bowling alley. Send the kids to the theater, go bowling and then meet for pizza and a beer at Aiellos. No one is making any of you participate so just stay home and shut it if you don't like it. It's better than letting the city fall down.
JustPeachy

Granite City, IL

#19 Jun 21, 2014
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
When they filmed the movie there, the asbestos was still in place.
Yes, I do know that it has been removed.
JustPeachy

Granite City, IL

#20 Jun 21, 2014
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Millions?? Bahaha, a simple Google search reveals it cost 94,500 dollars for asbestos abatement.
And...
here's the link -----> http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journals/ill...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Madison County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump metals tariffs make Granite City great ag... 13 hr Idol Reject 14
News Madison County boy charged with abusing 9-year-old (Oct '06) Apr '18 GoodBoi 9
Arbys Background Check (Nov '16) Apr '18 Tina 3
News Man charged with lying about job, income (Dec '07) Dec '17 WatchingtThePowerful 23
News Granite City man pleads guilty to paying 12-yea... (Nov '07) Oct '17 Mahz 32
News DCFS ordered father of seven found dead in housea (Mar '17) Sep '17 Wowpayingattention 2
News Madison County state's attorney 'upset' with re... (Nov '12) Sep '17 Wowpayingattention 2