Judge punishes juror for Facebook post

Sep 3, 2010 Full story: WLUK-TV Green Bay 8

A Detroit-area woman who was removed from a jury for commenting about the ongoing case on Facebook has a longer writing task ahead: a five-page essay about the constitutional right to a fair trial.

Full Story

“Spring is here, ”

Since: Sep 06

next comes summer! Yippee!!

#1 Sep 3, 2010
I think that she should've gotten more than a five page essay. What she did was very wrong!!

“Dum Di Dum”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#2 Sep 3, 2010
"She'll think twice about how important being on a jury is"...Right...Next time she will post her message on Twitter...
Capn Greg

Tifton, GA

#4 Sep 3, 2010
She was wrong, but does anyone find this disturbing as well....

from the article:
"The Facebook post was found by Jaxon Goodman, the 17-year-old son of Etchison's defense lawyer."

Were they friends? Why is the lawyer's son checking up on juror's facebook pages? How random of an act is that?
Pretty Feet

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Sep 3, 2010
whats up with the essay. that sounds like grade school punishment.
and i question why the lawyers son saw this on FB..

Since: Aug 09

Doylestown, PA

#6 Sep 3, 2010
Since facebook is public I can't see what the problem is with the defense attorney's son - or the defense attorney or his team - googling or otherwise checking up on jurors during jury selection or during the trial.

It was actually a pretty good catch on whomever's part.

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#7 Sep 3, 2010
umm, everything in that article reads kosher to me.

Ms. Jons blatantly disregarded the typical instructions about discussing/communicating with anyone outside the jury. The consequences of the essay and the fine ... good for the judge. And,if they are not complied with she is vulnerable to contempt of court.

Procedures, process, and the "game" of trial is not to be blatantly trifled with by any party involved: even a judge, who is under the scrutiny of the voting public AND higher state and/or federal courts and "the bar".

The speculation that the defendant and defense attorney's son are friends is moot. Part of the "game" and responsibility of the defense is to have the awareness of whether the client is going to get a fair trial. The wayward juror proclaiming her verdict before the defense even presented their side in court is an affront to that part of the judicial process.

Whether "Junior" took it upon himself or was prompted by Dad to check out the social networking websites for indication that jurors were doing what Ms. Jons did, doesn't really matter. Once that is called to attention of the defense by anyone .... "game's over" and steps to remedy must be addressed by the judge.

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#8 Sep 3, 2010
Capn Greg wrote:
She was wrong, but does anyone find this disturbing as well....
from the article:
"The Facebook post was found by Jaxon Goodman, the 17-year-old son of Etchison's defense lawyer."
Were they friends? Why is the lawyer's son checking up on juror's facebook pages? How random of an act is that?
random act... this is moot too; it most likely wasn't and needn't be.

It is likely SOP for both sides of a trial case to check up on the possibility of non-sequestered jurors using the social networking websites and discussing the case at hand. Smart and diligent lawyers will do just that.

Shouldn't be surprising. Potential and existing employers are doing just that and have been for awhile.

And institutions of higher learning in some instances.
DJZ

Crown Point, IN

#9 Sep 3, 2010
This woman is only 20. Did she even stay in college long enough to have more learning knowledge of the justice system? That is why I am going A full four years into college (after junior college) for A degree as A broadcaster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Macomb County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jail guards among highest paid Wayne County emp... (Aug '14) Feb 23 Steve 4
What's increasing Detroit-area water rates? Feb 23 Steve 3
Pit bull bites 3-year-old girl on face in St. C... (Apr '14) Feb 23 Mytexas1 16
Police seeking tips in 14-year-old girl's slaying (Jul '14) Feb 23 Mytexas1 3
Reward offered to catch Easter church thieves (Apr '13) Feb 12 Streetrunner 5
Sandra Loepp hit and run victim (Jan '13) Jan '15 neighbor 3,568
Police Release Sketch Of Person Of Interest In ... (Jul '14) Jan '15 ICU2 4
More from around the web