Ochieng

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2007

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel needs to prove to his constituents that he is serious about racial harmony. There is information that he is seriously considering appointing an African American to the position of Undersheriff. Let's hope he doesn't cower- now is the time for him to prove he is courageous and progressive.
Mac

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I hear it's Sgt. Folsom...He should be Sheriff! He would have been chief in Mt.Clemens, but that's another story...
Deco1

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2007

In light of all the bad publicity race relations have had as of late, a move like this would for sure consolidate
this sheriff's position not only in the community but statewide. I have heard through the rumormill that he plans to head to the state level.

Since: Apr 07

Fort Sheridan, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2007

In light of all the bad publicity race relations have had as of late, a move like this would for sure consolidate
this sheriff's position not only in the community but statewide. I have heard through the rumormill that he plans to head to the state level.

Fort Sheridan, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2007

OK. My pal PJ in Waterford says this guy is Sgt. Lance Folson. He was a luitenant at Mt. Clemens PD before taking a semi-lateral transfer (demotion)to Macomb County when the PD was disbanded. He says this guy is very well respected on both sides of the street. A 20+ year LE vet with lots of UC time. Thinks he heard he is prior military also, don't know tho.

Mt. Clemens

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

Your pal in Waterford is right .... Lance is solid. I knew him back in his New Haven PD days. He's not just prior military, he's a former recon marine. Not only is he a no brainer for Undersheriff ...the argument could be made that he could win election to Sheriff. Macomb is a Democrat county. Lance is well established and respected. And lets face it, it is 2007, time for macomb county to appoint an African-American to a high level L E position.
Mac

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

LawDogg 357 said it all...Folson for Sheriff!!!! I wasn't sure about the military background, but I'm fairly certain he played DIV I college football out west somewhere...Picture this: If DeeCo1 is right, and Hackel runs for state office, it would leave Folson as the natural choice for interim sheriff (if Hackle leaves early) if not, Folson would be the peoples favorite in an erection.
Deco1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

uh! LOL You meant eLection, right? Your typagraphical error aside, Folson is the Man, now is the time!!!!!
big boy

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2007

diversity is a good thing...I have a friend from high school in the jail administration and he likes old skool music..he is a cool dude.

Sheriff, get off your treadmill and promote the racial diversity.

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2007

Mark Hackel does not have the balls to promate a black man. He is to busy promoting women and working on the Grant case. What a media hore.......
Jman-true blue

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2007

TK4L, I strongly disagree with your position on this matter! If anyone has the guts to promote a African American Under Sheriff it is Mark Hackell, look at his track record. Mark Hackell is as diverse as they come. I hear this Lance Folson is the man and has the ut most respect from his guys....out
Mac

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2007

The more I learn about Hackel, the more confident I am he will do the "right" thing, and not the "white" thing....

To "big boy"-this old skool music dude in the jail administration,(maybe it is Folson?) If not, whoever he is, he is invited to hang with me at my crib, drink some Colt .45's, listen to Afrika Bambaata tapes, and watch "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. out
Ochieng

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2007

I am very pleased at the number of replies this topic generated. But please, let's stay on task: Lance Folson should be appointed undersheriff based on merit alone. The fact that he is African American should not figure into the decision process. More importantly, the fact that he is African American should NOT deter Hackel either.

P.S. I am more of a fan of Breakin'(original movie) and The Bar-Kays...OUT
Jman-true blue

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2007

Well said Ochieng, I agree
Jim Jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

So, should Hackel fire his existing Undersheriff, then bypass 5 or 6 people who are next in command, and appoint someone Undersheriff based soley on the color of his skin?

That wouldn't be right.
Jman-true blue

West Bloomfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

The color of his skin??? What is the matter with you Jim? Obviously you have not seen Folson's credentials. I think the 5 or 6 ppl the you are referring to are the sheriffs yes men. We need a strong QUALIFIED person for this position, not some weak minded fool that has sucked his way up to the top.......OUT
MAC

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2007

Hey Jim Jim. When Hackel appointed the current undersheriff, he "bypassed" 5 0r 6 people "next in command." No one is getting fired. The spot is vacating soon. Fact is, when someone is being considered for a promotion based on merit (with no regard to skin color) yes men cry foul. Are you a yes man, Jim Jim? Yes. Yes. You need to chill with an ice cold Colt .45...OUT
Jim Jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2007

No, I'm not a yes man, Mac and Jman-true blue. I'm not affiliated with the sheriff's department. But I do know how the real world works.

First of all, there is only one undersheriff's position alloted for by the Macomb County Board of Commissioners.

But even if the undersheriff were to retire, Hackel can't just appoint whoever he wants to that seat without there being major problems.

As an anonymous poster on an internet forum, it's easy for you to sit back and say "the other 5 or 6 people in line for the job are the sheriff's yes men." And that may very well be true.

But if the sheriff were to bypass people who are next in line for a promotion, there are unions that aren't going to cotton to that. And Hackel could be mired in a huge union battle over the issue.

Now, Sgt. Folsom may very well be an outstanding police officer. But there are established procedures for this sort of thing, and I don't think bypassing people just because you want a brown-skinned person in the undersheriff's seat would be either wise or honorable.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2007

Who amoung the 5 or 6 yesmen in line is more qualified to fill the void. Because he has not been in line on his knees cowardly awaiting his turn should not exclude a Black Man from holding a higher office.
Ochieng

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2007

The Sheriff can appoint whomever he wants to the position of undersheriff. Contrary to Jim-Jim's knowledge of how the "real world works," the position of undersheriff is an appointment, not a departmental promotion. The unions would have no grievance, because such an appointment is not part of a collective bargaining agreement.

Perhaps such appointments should be negotiated into collective bargaining agreements, since cronyism is often the end result.

Hackel said that he makes decisions "gender and color blind." Let's hope that just because the Jim Jim's of the world obviously don't want a "brown skinned" undersheriff(and cloud the issue by citing non-existent "established procedures") Hackel will realize that his citizens share his vision, and encourage him to do the right thing. Out. Ice cold Colt .45 tastin' good right about now...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Macomb County Discussions

Search the Macomb County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Couples at wedding expo hopeful for lift of Mic... 10 hr All in the Familys Son 9
Opponent files paperwork to run against Hackel ... Apr 14 Not My Gal 15
Census says Detroit region is showing signs of ... Apr 1 reality is a crutch 6
St. Clair Shores interim police chief denies us... Mar 26 Slim Pickens 15
Don't neglect state's animals Mar 19 Mercena Johnson 1
'Super drunk' mom arrested while picking up 5-y... Mar '14 CONCERNED PARENT 2
Sandra Loepp hit and run victim (Jan '13) Mar '14 Unsolved 3,566
•••
•••
•••
•••